Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Sep Ho'ban - Legacy Kit - WIP (Approved) and Upgrades, Approved Privateer/Mech

• 145 Replies

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
I am starting a legacy armor kit based on Ohl'd Vart's templates.

Collar and Chest

I am guessing I need to trim the width of these back, but I'd like some advice as to how much?  Does the collar need trimming back too or just the chest?
Or should I switch to the Drake templates before I go too far down this road? For reference, my shoulders are about 23" wide.

Appreciate your help. 

« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2019, 08:08 AM by Sep Ho'ban » Logged

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
Re: QuinGin - Legacy Kit - WIP -- based on Ohl'D Vart's Templates
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2017, 07:48 AM »
Congrats on starting your build, it is always an exciting undertaking. A few quick notes and tips

Size wise it is hard to tell you are holding the templates a bit to high on your body in this picture, so it makes it very hard to gauge size accurately. You need to bring the templates down a bit so they are in the right place before and solid call on any size change can be made.

And if you can wrangle someone else into taking pictures for you, helps to keep things from shifting around from having to hold your arms up and what not.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2017, 11:49 AM »
Thanks Naran,

What IS the proper placement? I thought I had read that the collar was supposed to be more or less choking me?

Thanks in advance!

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2017, 12:35 PM »
Choking you is a bit extreme :laugh:

With your collar plate you want it to sit on your collarbone, and you ideally want your chest diamond to sit right about your sertum.

Just bring it all down an inch or so and it should be in roughly the right spot. 

Sep Ho'ban

Ok, diamond is over sternum.  How am I looking now? Enlisted wife for tape help and photography.

A little trim, or switch to the already smaller Drake Templates?

Thanks!

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2017, 06:44 PM »
Size wise, I think you could trim those templates down about an 1/8-1/4 of an inch and they would work for you.

Also you are going to need to bring the collar plate up a touch, you want it resting right in front of your collarbone. Which means you will more than likely need to modify the chest plates so you don't stab yourself with those corners, when you move your arms. It is always best to get the collar in line first and then work down from there. If it means your chest diamond is up a bit, that is no big deal. We are all shaped different after all :) and that means lots of tweaking to hone things in. Try being the templates up half way between where they are now and where they were in the first picture and you will be spot on!  :D

Another option would be to switch to the Ronans Templates (which can be found here- http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=73517.0 ) they have a longer V shaped collar which allows you to keep the curve of the chest plates in the right spot without the need for modification and doesn't leave you will the big gap you have in your collar coverage right now.

Keep at it vod!

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2017, 07:54 PM »
Thanks Naran!
So more like this?

My sternum is now an inch or so below the bottom of the bottom chest plate, but I guess I could always add a plate at the bottom. I am long torso'd.... 
I will also look into Ronan's templates, but I think I like this chest layout a little better than the Ronan shots I was able to find.  Also, the bottom plate is supposed to end right above the navel right?

Thanks again!

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2017, 08:30 PM »
That is spot on vod!

And yes you want your ab plates to end right about your navel and I agree I think those templates suit your frame nicely.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2017, 08:34 PM »
Okay.  Looks like I am doing the chest and 3 plates below then.  The 3rd ends right about my navel. The forth I could almost tuck the bottom of into my belt.

Thanks again for the fast replies.  I think I will leave the template alone and cut the sintra as is, then trim down sintra if needed.  Easier to remove than to add.

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2017, 09:36 PM »
Always happy to help, and yeah almost no one EVER needs that fourth plate , so dropping it is 100% normal.

Look forward to seeing this kit come together!

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2017, 08:25 PM »
Lol...yeah, the fourth plate was added for the really tall people; most folks only use the 3 (including me). ;)

And, Naran is correct...because of the multitude of body shapes and sizes, these templates will always have to be modified to fit your individual form. :)

Rob

Alorad of BVC (now House): 2007-2013
Alor of MMCC: 2013-2023
Counselor to Mandalore: 2024
Retired from MMCC: 02/10/24

"17 years...it was good, while it lasted."

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2017, 08:49 PM »
Thanks for waying in my master! :p  I hope to be cutting and shaping chest and backplates with a fellow newbie on Saturday.  So I will post progress pics sometime late saturday or sunday-- hopefully. 

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2017, 09:15 PM »
Thanks for waying in my master! :p  I hope to be cutting and shaping chest and backplates with a fellow newbie on Saturday.  So I will post progress pics sometime late saturday or sunday-- hopefully. 

Awesome, Quin...I'll be following your build with interest! ;)

As always, if you have any questions about the templates, feel free to ask! :)

Rob

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #13 on: Mar 25, 2017, 09:29 AM »
Feedback on backplates please

And shoulders

Shnee and boot

« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2017, 01:38 PM by Quingin » Logged

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
Sizing looks good, only minor note is that you want to have the shoulder plates sit a bit higher up. But other than that looks good!

Sep Ho'ban

Thanks for the feedback Naran!  Was having a mini-armor party today, and your feedback came in just in time for us to be able to cut and shape the back.  Got a lot of plates cut and shaped today, will be posting progress picts pretty soon.  Need to go re-read the assembly tutorials for legacy.

Sep Ho'ban

Back -- center strap done, 2 straps down sides to go

Chest --center strap done, 2 straps down sides to go

I realize they aren't sitting quite right on me, (like the collar is about 3 inches too low)but that's because of the tape job being done from inside the armor, and not wanting to bother my phtographer for longer to get it fixed.  I'm going to do adjustable leather straps at shoulders and bottom plate to bottom plate when I do full assembly.

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
Other than the fact that things are sitting way to low :), looks pretty good to me.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #18 on: Mar 27, 2017, 08:35 PM »
All plates cut out.  Gauntlet's not cut yet, following Ku's PVC vambraces tutorial when I get there.

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #19 on: Mar 27, 2017, 08:40 PM »
That is a lovely pile of plates you have there sir. Look forward to seeing them all come together!

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #20 on: Mar 28, 2017, 12:32 AM »
Thanks!

Initial shaping work:

Chicago screws should arrive tomorrow, and I can continue assembly work so that I'll be ready to refine the shape.  It's too hard to place things consistently when plates are held together just with tape. 

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #21 on: Mar 28, 2017, 09:37 PM »
That's looking awesome, brother!  ;D

Rob

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #22 on: Mar 31, 2017, 09:35 PM »
Thanks again everyone!
New Progress pics- chest and back assembled.  I can tell the backplates need a bit more shaping, and 2nd plate is cocked, going to have to wait till I can get together with a friend to fix those.  How does the shape on the chest plates look? Diamond is still a WIP-- going to go with a diamond larger than the hole currently there, placed over the hole.   Also, my vest fits better than it looks if I have someone to help dress me... I need more yoga in my life evidently.

The nylon webbing at the shoulders and sides is currently a stand in-- will be getting black leather and buckles for final assembly.

How's the shaping/placement on the front plates?

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #24 on: Apr 03, 2017, 08:11 PM »
Shnees flight suit and boots.  Boot armor not pictured. Hope to have pics with all plates and softparts on by the end of the weekend.

« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2017, 10:24 AM by Quingin » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!