Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kim's WIP

• 14 Replies
Kim's WIP
« on: Mar 19, 2017, 09:32 PM »
I started a WIP thread on the general female armor board, but it seems like a good idea to cover the full build here. So far I've got a concept sketch and my chest plates and ab plate, which are all pictured below.

I didn't order enough Sintra, so the rest of my armor will have to wait until I can get more.

Unplanned Weaponry
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2017, 09:49 PM »
I had a little bit of Sinatra left over, and this happened.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Kim's WIP
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2017, 10:36 PM »
Sweet.  Muy bien!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2018, 10:32 PM »
It's been a while, but I've got all of my soft parts done and my armor's about 75% finished. Photos below. :)

Soft Parts - I'm not sure why the cape and loincloth look like they're different colors in the photo; they match in person.

Helmet - Mostly painted; still needs some weathering and the actual visor

Body Armor - Mostly painted; still needs weathering

Gauntlets & Knees - Still need detailing and weathering

Left Gauntlet - There's a screen with ship schematics in the center of the raised portion. The circular bubble is a compass.

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2018, 09:56 AM »
Looking good! Love the color scheme  :D

When you get a chance, go ahead and post a pic of your armor plates taped on so we can get an idea of how the spacing/size is looking.

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

Shortcut

• Master Kad'la Cabur: Mandalore's Favorite Mechanic
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:35 PM »
It would help the overall look of your mounted equipment if you weather the edges a bit. Normally that is where the paint starts to flake off on stuff.

- Kad'la "Shortcut" Cabur, MVOO

MMCC #1205
M.A.D. #66
M5 #58
Brigade #196
"You live, die, and remembered by your example to others. Mandalorians are as true as their words, and as deadly as their actions."

Bat Akaan

• Awards EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2018, 09:15 PM »
coming along nicely. Funny, when I first looked at the picture of your bucket, I thought the lamp in the background was your range finder, then i realized it was a lamp :)

Cabur Akaata #128 | Oribru Akaata #29 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #152 | M.V.S. #69 | OM #2001 | Naast #2001 | BM #260 | OT Guard #71
Main WIP|Sniper WIP|Executioner WIP nos planto faecem venio

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2018, 11:41 AM »
Nice work! Coming along very well!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:14 PM »
I've temporarily tacked my armor plates to my flak vest, but I'm hoping for some feedback about placement before permanently attaching them. What do you think?

Bat Akaan

• Awards EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2018, 10:36 AM »
Hello Kim, I had a lot of feedback when I went through the app process and one trick I learned is to use lines on your picture to make sure everything is spaced and aligned correctly. In the picture you posted you appear to not be standing straight so I rotated the picture slightly. I added yellow lines to identify your center. As you can see all the armor seems to be offset to your left. Also the spacing between plates is not consistent. I know you said that these were just tacked on but in order to make sure everything is proper you need to gap them properly and make sure you are standing straight when the picture is taken. Have someone help you to take the pictures. I found it almost impossible to take my own pictures with a timer on a camera because everytime I moved to the camera to start the timer, I had no way of knowing if I returned to a straight position when the actual picture was taken.  I used red circles and lines to show what I noticed. The red line along the collar plate and left breast plate shows the outside alignment on that side is close to correct but the right side does not line up.

My suggestion is to realign all the plates and have someone help you take some pictures. Use a program like photoshop to add similar lines to what I did and get the best alignment you can then post new pictures in your WIP for others to critique. I am sure many of the app team guys can provide more constructive suggestions. I hope this helps and gets you closer to approval. Also contact the Ruus’alos in your clan as they will be part of the initial “pre-approval” process and integral to getting past local and brigade approval.

« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2018, 10:40 AM by 11b30b4 » Logged

Cabur Akaata #128 | Oribru Akaata #29 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #152 | M.V.S. #69 | OM #2001 | Naast #2001 | BM #260 | OT Guard #71
Main WIP|Sniper WIP|Executioner WIP nos planto faecem venio

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2018, 11:17 AM »
Either the chest diamond or the opening around the diamond will need to be re-sized so that the plates aren't sitting on top of the diamond. I can't really tell if the collar is off-center or not since I can't see where your collarbone/shoulders are. The outer edges of the chest plates, save for the top edge lining up with the collar, may need to be trimmed in as well. I would make sure your collar is on-center first before doing anything. Then we'll see what needs to be done in terms of trimming.

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2018, 07:43 PM »
Thanks so much for your tips! I'm going to work on everything this weekend.

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2019, 03:28 PM »
It’s been a while, but I’m making progress on my gauntlets. Once those are done, I should be ready to apply for official membership.

Avelin Kel

• OM#2248
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 01:20 PM »
It’s been a while, but I’m making progress on my gauntlets. Once those are done, I should be ready to apply for official membership.

I like the design of your chest plates and your color choice!

If you haven't already, I recommend going through your local clan's pre-approval process (or post the pics up here). It is always nice to have anything that needs fixing caught before submitting  :D

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 10:42 AM »
Thanks, Aveline! We had an armor party this past weekend, so I took my whole kit to check with leadership. They said I'll still need some weathering, so that will be my next project.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!