Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Mando Build

• 33 Replies

amdomi11

• Awards 40% increase or more
First Mando Build
« on: Mar 22, 2017, 11:07 AM »
Hello, I'm Miguel I also new on here and thought I would share my progress so far

« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2017, 02:21 AM by amdomi11 » Logged
Strive to be the best you can be

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: First Mando Build
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2017, 11:24 AM »
You're off to a really nice start, vod. 

Important thing to know, however, is that double posting is against forum rules.  Try to put everything pertinent into a single post.  If you discover that you need to add something - and no one's responded yet - then modify your post instead of adding a new one.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

amdomi11

« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2017, 11:28 AM »
ahh okay sorry about that should i just merge all the photos together into one post than

Jaing

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2017, 11:33 AM »
Yes. Post everything in one post. Then if someone replies you can post again in a new post, or if no one replies edit your previous post.

Edited cause my phone is stupid.

« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2017, 11:37 AM by Jaing Garr » Logged

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2017, 07:20 PM »
Much better, Miguel.  Any chance we can get a picture of those pieces on you, so we can help you make sure the sizing, shaping, and placement are good?

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

amdomi11

« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2017, 10:33 AM »
Yes I will attempt to get a pic with the pieces on

amdomi11

« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2017, 05:50 PM »
What do you think folks?

« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2017, 08:58 PM by amdomi11 » Logged

Havelock

« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2017, 10:10 PM »
Those probably need to be raised - right now they're acting more as bicep armor than shoulder armor.  But the size should be fine.

amdomi11

« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2017, 02:16 AM »
yes one of the members told me that, in this photo i had just taped them to the shirt i was wearing and wasn't thinking of taping them up higher which i should have as you suggested but im slowly learning

Havelock

« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2017, 11:36 AM »
Not a problem.  Building a kit is a long, drawn-out, gigantic learning process.   Keep up the good work, vod.

Naritir Ka'ra

• If at first you don't succeed... reload.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2017, 12:06 PM »
Building a kit is a long, drawn-out, gigantic learning process.

14 months and counting, for me. And there's still an osik-ton of stuff I don't know yet.

But it's looking good, so far!

MMCC #1755 | Invasions: 10
BOMB #57 | PMS #8 | MLCS #2 | WB #13 | VABS | MA #175 | MACK #41 | MTS #108 | MARS #66 | GOMOL #28 | MirShebs #16 | Wrang #3

I'll sign autographs, after the smoke clears.
Mk01 OM 4/5/17
F: naritir T: @naritir_kara IG: naritir
Story

Hanjo Solba

• Member of the Mav oya'la Clan - OM# 1724
« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2017, 12:57 PM »
Thats for sure, i am still learning new things and i recently got OM Status.  I think my kit took a year or two but I was off and on building and i'm still not done with it.  Everything you have now looks great, you keeping the clean mando look?

OM# 1724   Member of the Mav oya'la Clan      M.A.B.E.L. - #069
      Armor WIP  -    Recon Brigade WIP  -  Wife's WIP

amdomi11

« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2017, 01:38 PM »
Thank you all and yes i was going for the clean Mando look, is that okay to do?

Naritir Ka'ra

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2017, 01:41 PM »
Thank you all and yes i was going for the clean Mando look, is that okay to do?

Clean, but not shiny... you want shiny, be a TK.  :laugh:

Check out one of my clanmates' kits for example: 
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=83045.0/

She's got weathering, so it looks like she's seen action, but has carefully cleaned the kit.

BOMB #57 | PMS #8 | MLCS #2 | WB #13 | VABS | MA #175 | MACK #41 | MTS #108 | MARS #66 | GOMOL #28 | MirShebs #16 | Wrang #3

Mk01 OM 4/5/17
Story

amdomi11

« Reply #14 on: Mar 24, 2017, 01:45 PM »
shiny...lol I actually am a TK on the 501st side. But I was not aware of that I thought one of the members said it was okay to do a shiny look?

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #15 on: Mar 24, 2017, 01:47 PM »
Nothing wrong with doing a shiny kit  :D Everything just has to look uniformly weathered, so as long as everything on your kit looks new and shiny then you're fine.

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

amdomi11

« Reply #16 on: Mar 26, 2017, 12:06 AM »
Yes so far im trying to keep it all the same, I built my TK and I building this it is so much different and I am really liking the experience of building my first Mando kit and than I will go back to my original plan of building the Prototype Fett. Just out of curiosity do i have to do the weathered look or battle damaged look, i have heard some people say yes and some say no

« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2017, 01:14 PM by amdomi11 » Logged

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #17 on: Mar 26, 2017, 02:12 PM »
You don't have to battle damage if you don't want to.

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

amdomi11

« Reply #18 on: Mar 27, 2017, 11:53 AM »
I'm at a toss up with the battle damage, I was wanting to do a clean shiny kit but than if i do, what happens at a trooping event when someone accidentally scrapes something against my armor and scratches it anyway or it gets a chip in it, than the whole thing would have to be uniformed anyway. I'm kind of leaning towards I may have to weather it and battle damage it

Hanjo Solba

• Member of the Mav oya'la Clan - OM# 1724
« Reply #19 on: Mar 27, 2017, 12:37 PM »
I'm at a toss up with the battle damage, I was wanting to do a clean shiny kit but than if i do, what happens at a trooping event when someone accidentally scrapes something against my armor and scratches it anyway or it gets a chip in it, than the whole thing would have to be uniformed anyway. I'm kind of leaning towards I may have to weather it and battle damage it

That is the struggle.  Creating a clean mando is a much harder task.  Imperfections with paint and castings will happen, these can normally be hidden pretty easily with black wash weathering but with clean look you have to make sure your priming coat looks amazing.  I painted the interior plastic of my car in metallic red, it was the hardest painting i have ever done.  The amount of wet sanding i had to do to get it complete smooth was insane.

If your willing to put in the time and prep work i am sure it will turn out awesome.  If you clear coat, I wouldn't worry to much about impact damage.  If your using enamel paint it can be quite strong.  Even a weathered kit nipping a wall or doorway can get chipped and would still need to be fixed.  Just my two cents tho.  Do what works for you!  :D

OM# 1724   Member of the Mav oya'la Clan      M.A.B.E.L. - #069
      Armor WIP  -    Recon Brigade WIP  -  Wife's WIP

Havelock

« Reply #20 on: Mar 27, 2017, 02:32 PM »
Lt_Wipeout pretty much covered it, I think.  The only thing I can think to add is that trying to keep a clean, pristine kit in perfect condition troop after troop after troop seems like it would be much more difficult than maintaining an already weathered kit.  If your kit is already damaged and weathered and you pick up a couple of dings at a troop, that's just extra battle damage.  If a pristine kit gets damaged at a con, that strikes me as being much difficult to deal with, if you're trying to keep it pristine.

Whichever you decide, you need to be happy with your kit.  And either way, we'll help out as much as possible.

amdomi11

« Reply #21 on: Mar 27, 2017, 02:35 PM »
Thank you to the both of you for your advice and with your points i'm really leaning towards doing the battle damage and dings here and there, I agree trying to keep it pristine looking may be more difficult once it starts to get scratches in it and I know it will happen, I will have nice and pristine and wam there goes a scratch or something like you pointed out that would be hard to repair or difficult to maintain that pristine look, now i just have to learn about weathering and battle damage

Havelock

« Reply #22 on: Mar 27, 2017, 02:39 PM »
For me, damaging and weathering turned out to be my favorite part of the build.  The first "battle damage" cut I made with my dremel, I was so timid!  By the time I was on my third or fourth plate, I just started going to town on my sintra! 

As long as you don't go crazy and cut a plate in half, I think you'll have fun with it, and it'll turn out great.

Naritir Ka'ra

« Reply #23 on: Mar 27, 2017, 04:07 PM »
For me, damaging and weathering turned out to be my favorite part of the build. 

I agree. I love making my kit look very, VERY lived in. First thing I'll do once I get my stripes, I'll be cutting into my bucket to give depth to the three claws. ;)

Mk01 OM 4/5/17
Story

amdomi11

« Reply #24 on: Mar 28, 2017, 01:57 AM »
Yes I will probably start that step once I am all done with all my parts and painting. Finished up the back armor today. Well i finally did it and took all the shine off all my armor and decided to go with the weathered and beat up look

« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2017, 05:35 PM by amdomi11 » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!