Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Pack Concept and WIP

• 7 Replies

Byron_Grom

• Fortune favors the prepared
Pack Concept and WIP
« on: Mar 24, 2017, 10:20 PM »
I've been thinking of building a pack for my kit and I've come up with a sort of modular design built off of a pvc frame. The idea is to be able to change or add units if I decide to go for a brigade some day. This is just a loose idea, but here's what I've come up with so far.

I'd really like to incorporate some actual storage space inside the different units so it can serve as an actual backpack while at events.

Let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions, or if anyone has tried a pack like this and can weigh in I'd really appreciate any feedback, especially on how to do the harness. Thanks.

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Pack Concept
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2017, 11:14 PM »
I would look at doing something similar to the sandy packs with this design. where you can have two or three base boxes mounted to the frame then you can add your detail on to those.

Byron_Grom

« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2017, 12:11 AM »
I would look at doing something similar to the sandy packs with this design. where you can have two or three base boxes mounted to the frame then you can add your detail on to those.

I did a quick google search, and yeah, that's pretty close to the look I'll be going for. Maybe a little less cluttered, but overall similar. Thanks.

Darth_Vemon

• Crush your enemies, see them driven before you...
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2017, 12:52 AM »
I like the idea.  I'm building a comm pack for eventual Brigade app, and started with a very similar concept
  Personally, I scrapped the weapons and jet pack idea, because I intended to stuff it all onto one unit.  But the idea of being able to remove and apply based on mission needs is a sweet idea. 

As for the harness, there are a few ways to do it.  What you've got pictured, with the other half of the clip hidden by your flak vest (PM Mi'ix on how he attached his jetpacks to get a better idea).  The TK sand troopers use an ALICE frame, with thin black straps that blend into their undersuit.  I'm using a BSA hiking pack frame and using the stock straps for now (this may change).

K'dumi haran doslanir bat vheh ures aranov.

Benjin "Farlander" Kov'nyn

Check out my fanfic:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=130493.0

Cabur Akaata #49 M5SP #22 B.O.O.M. #21 Aluminati #46

Khorkhe Ori'tor

• Gent’alor
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2017, 09:59 AM »
I've been thinking of building a pack for my kit and I've come up with a sort of modular design built off of a pvc frame. The idea is to be able to change or add units if I decide to go for a brigade some day. This is just a loose idea, but here's what I've come up with so far.

I'd really like to incorporate some actual storage space inside the different units so it can serve as an actual backpack while at events.

Let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions, or if anyone has tried a pack like this and can weigh in I'd really appreciate any feedback, especially on how to do the harness. Thanks.

Hi Vod... Your concept is great... This is an another WIP of a comm pack: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=56294.0

Regards,

Grey Brigade - OT Guard 106

Byron_Grom

« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2017, 05:23 PM »
Hi Vod... Your concept is great... This is an another WIP of a comm pack: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=56294.0

Regards,

I've seen this before, but I hadn't looked through all of it, and looking at it again has given me a bunch of ideas so thank you.

I've been doing some layout planning and I think I'm going to cut it down to two rows of units rather than three just because I don't want it to be too big and cumbersome.

I kit-bashed a broken Gamecube for a couple of cool looking panels, and I'm working on laying out designs for a harness. I've got sintra coming next weekend, and I'll pick up the pvc this week, then I'll be able to really get started.

Byron_Grom

« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2017, 05:53 PM »
I got the frame cut and pieced together, and I picked up the strapping and buckles I'm going to use for the harness. The frame is about 2' by 14".

I'll be sanding the orange color off of the two clips even though they shouldn't really show, they just didn't have plain metal in the shape I was looking for. Also, these are the panels I scavenged from the Gamecube.

It's not much yet, but I've got sintra coming soon so that should get this project rolling. This will also mean I'll need to redo my backplates, which is probably a blessing in disguise, as they are kind of a mess anyway.

Byron_Grom

Re: Pack Concept and WIP
« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2017, 05:42 PM »
I haven't been making much progress on anything lately, but I've started making the boxes for the different units.

Once I get the seams bondo-ed and cleaned up I'll pick up some latches and hinges to attach the face plates so that each unit can be opened and closed for actual storage at events. The bottom third of the pack will hold some kind of non-interactive unit. Probably something similar to the initial concept drawing.

I'm also going to need to redo my back plate and I'm thinking something like this.

Sadly that's all I've got for now, but I'm trying to get back in gear.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!