Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Build 1.5 - Akaleh Skirata

• 230 Replies

trashcanmando

• This is all Karen Traviss' fault. they/them
Re: Build 1.5 (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #50 on: Apr 06, 2017, 12:17 PM »
I decided to keep this flight suit. Shammah's right, the plates are likely to end up limiting my flexibility more than the suit ever will, and it's perfectly alright if I'm not curling all the way over or reaching for the ceiling. It's built to wear jeans underneath, though, so the legs are going to need taken in a bit. But I only see two pockets that won't be covered by the belt or flak vest!

Lots of great weathering tips! Fantastic video, ba'vod. I'm hoping to paint the plates I've got today, maybe I'll get to start on weathering.

I'm starting to think about the other plates- for the gauntlets, maybe some PVC. For the boots, knees, and cod, I'd like to do them out of trash can plastic too. The knees might take some modifying- I'm thinking about getting some knee pads and using them as plate carriers. The trash cans I've found don't have enough curve for the traditional knee plates, I'll have to improvise. I cut out the boot plate templates and sized them up to my boots- they don't cover the top inch of lace, so I'm considering wrapping more blue fabric from the sash around that part and having a plate/wrap combo. And then I'm going to scour the femmando forums for cod plate advice, heh.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #51 on: Apr 06, 2017, 01:58 PM »
You are all over this, vaar'ika! 

Looking forward to more pics.  Keep up the excellent work!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #52 on: Apr 06, 2017, 04:07 PM »
For gauntlets I've seen some great stuff come out of PVC pipe. Takes a little work, but easy to work with if you have access to a dremel tool and some 2-part epoxy. Here's a decent tutorial: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=90543.0. There's a whole page of threads dedicated to gaunts under "Armor Construction". PVC makes good armor period, and you can pick it up free at a lot of construction sites. Just ask before they throw it away.

Vhett Manda Clan - Iowa, USA
MMCC # 1013

Two things left for sniper... TIME! GIVE ME TIME!
Cabur Akaata #38     M.A.B.E.L. #042... Perfect!
VRCA #067                 M.A.C.K. #43
M.A. #175
Sniper WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=90431.0

trashcanmando

« Reply #53 on: Apr 06, 2017, 04:22 PM »
Thanks, ba'vod!!

I got the plates done today, despite it being way too windy for spray paint. They blew across the yard multiple times...  :rolleyes: Had to drag everything to the garage for cover, back out for lighting, into the house for detailing... I am not a patient person, and today's my last day of my abnormally long break from work, so I had to make it count!

Here they are after sanding (helps the paint stick better since it's trash can plastic and gives them a nice scratched up texture), a few layers of silver, one of gold, and detailing. Then I took a knife and scratched off the gold, touched up where I accidentally cut through to the white plastic, fixed some chipping on the old plates, and did some blackwash!

I experimented with the chalk/carbon dust trick, but didn't like it, and I'm thrilled with how they look just like this. The whole thing was maybe the most fun I've had on this build so far! I'm going to seal them too, but before I do I wanted to check that nothing looks off.

Thanks, Shammah, fantastic tutorial! I'm going to look around at walmart for another can for boots and knees, and some sort of gauntlet cylinder. One of the employees is getting to know me and odd weird needs really well....

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #54 on: Apr 06, 2017, 04:50 PM »
It's hard to tell for sure without them being on you, but as they are right now, they look pretty frakking awesome!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #55 on: Apr 06, 2017, 05:05 PM »
toilet brush holders.... i kid you not there are some pretty good gauntlet builds that have used them as the base.

Havelock

« Reply #56 on: Apr 06, 2017, 05:16 PM »
^^That^^

trashcanmando

« Reply #57 on: Apr 07, 2017, 01:41 AM »
It's hard to tell for sure without them being on you, but as they are right now, they look pretty frakking awesome!

;D Ori'vor'e! I held them all up to myself to be sure the paint was lined up alright, kinda tired of taping them on to myself, heh...

toilet brush holders.... i kid you not there are some pretty good gauntlet builds that have used them as the base.

I went to walmart this evening and tried to find some... Ended up finding a plastic drinking glass first. Now that it's home, I think it might be too short, and the plastic is definitely too think and hard to cut... So I guess I'm up two plastic glasses, but I'll have to keep looking for toilet brush holders.

I also got two small waste cans at walmart- the curve was ideal for knee and boot plates, and they were less than a buck each! The plastic is a lot bendier than the cans I used for the rest of the plates, but that suits me just fine. I got my pieces cut out:

I might shorten up the boot plates, they really don't need to come down that far over the boot, the lace ends about two inches before the plate. I'm going to attach some of the blue cloth from the sash to the tops and use it to help tie the plate on and cover the top of the laces. Didn't find any belt clips, but I'll keep looking.
Also got some duck cloth, and I hope to alter the flight suit and start on the flak vest Wednesday. After that, all the major things I really need is the helmet and weapons, and I'll be remarkably close to finished! I am shocked at how quickly this is going.

Weapons update- decided to ditch the rifle for now and go with just the beskad and twin pistols. Maybe after I get approved, I'll upgrade with a staff/spear and add the rifle. I'd also like to add a removable blade to the gauntlet, but that will be an upgrade as well.
While we're on gauntlets, I'm getting too many ideas to keep up with- originally, I was going to attach a spotlamp to the helmet, but I think I'm just going to put it on the gauntlet instead. I'd like the right one to have the light and eventually the removable blade, and I want to mount a phone in the left one. Can't decide if the phone will be part of the approvable kit or an upgrade.

EDIT: Got the lower plates painted and weathered! As I type this all that's left is sealing them. I'm pretty pleased with them!

Also, last night at walmart I found these cheap little plastic flutes- eight for 96 cents. So I figured, hey, I'll buy them, repaint them and glue on something pointy, have a silly little joke bes'bev! Nothing serious, just carry it around in a belt pouch so I can be like 'Have you heard of bes'beve? They're this awesome mandalorian weapon that's half flute and half knife!' and play it up to sound really awesome, and then I whip out this dinky little penny toy version. Me and my ori'vod spent the entire ride home laughing about it.

Well, there's just one slight problem. It ended up looking too good.
I guess it's still funny on account of it being about four inches long, though. In any case, here it is-

The plastic was really hard to work with. There was this stupid bell on the end, and when I heated it up to cut it off, it just started melting. I managed to get it off, but the end's pretty warped. Not a big deal, seeing as this was meant to be a stupid joke prop. But then I went and took the paintjob seriously, so...
I have seven more of these, but I don't really think it's worth a redo. In any case, they were like eleven cents each and the modifying took maybe half an hour total, so it's whatever.

« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2017, 09:36 PM by Akaleh Skirata » Logged

trashcanmando

« Reply #58 on: Apr 08, 2017, 10:25 PM »
Started altering the flight suit today- got all the leg pockets off with a surprising amount of ease and sewed the leg slits shut. I also hemmed the sash so it wouldn't fray and dump loose blue thread all over me... added a couple extra inches for ease of knot-tying as well. Glued one side of elastic on to the knee plates, and now I'm just feeling my way through attaching it to the other side.

I'd like to make it a velcro closure so I can adjust the tightness and so I don't have to slip them on over my belt, but all the velcro I have has sticky backs and it's a pain to sew through... One more thing for the shopping list, sew on velcro!

Havelock

« Reply #59 on: Apr 08, 2017, 11:01 PM »
My wife found out the hard way that sewing machines and sticky-backed velcro are not destined to be friends.   :laugh:  So for the time being, I'm securing the velcro to my various cloth bits with lots and lots of glue. 

Mk II will have sewn velcro.  heh

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #60 on: Apr 09, 2017, 12:46 AM »
You can use isopropyle alcohol to remove the sticky from sticky back velcro

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

trashcanmando

« Reply #61 on: Apr 09, 2017, 01:20 AM »
Ooooh, sewing machine and sticky back velcro sounds painful... Hopefully the machine survived that encounter.  ;D I tried it with a needle and thread and nearly stabbed myself far too many times and ruined the needle.

You can use isopropyle alcohol to remove the sticky from sticky back velcro

Woah! Good to know, thanks!

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #62 on: Apr 09, 2017, 09:38 AM »
What Malakier said, or order it on line from Walmart for in-store pick up. They were the cheapest last I looked.

MMCC # 1013

M.A. #175

aforklikeutensil

• Porgiatrician
« Reply #63 on: Apr 09, 2017, 09:56 AM »
...order it on line from Walmart for in-store pick up.

This^  Amazon has it for comparable, but you'll have to pay shipping unless you have Amazon Prime.

Odran Krayt

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din (Family is more than blood)
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #64 on: Apr 11, 2017, 04:46 PM »
In regards to the sticky back Velcro, I've found that it works well as an iron-on Velcro.

B.O.M.B.  #85|L.O.B. #41|M.A. #180|MAJIC #184|B.o.B.B #028
New Death Watch Order #44|O.O.P.S! #44
ALUMINATI #053 | V.B.V #7
Odran Krayt WIP
Nexan Armories (Sales thread)
I've been doin' this since I was 10!

trashcanmando

« Reply #65 on: Apr 11, 2017, 04:53 PM »
I tried the alcohol trick, but either I found the wrong stuff or I did it wrong, cause nothing really happened. Thanks for the tip, Orar, I'll see what I can do on some scrap material today!

I think I've finsihed the flight suit alterations, but I wanted to be sure.
I took the legs in quite a bit, and sewed elastic to the bottom of the pants so they'd stay inside the boot. They're stitched on the outer side and just safety pinned on the inside with some extra slack in case I need to adjust tightness or placement, which is good cause as I type this the elastic is actually tight enough to make the bottoms of my feet fall asleep...  ;D
It's possible the pants are still a tad baggy, but I wear almost exclusively skinny jeans or other tighter fitting pants, so straight cut jeans feel baggy to me too and I'm not quite sure how much loose material is ok.

The knee plates slide down every five steps, so it's a good thing I was already planning on velcro to help hold them up. Gonna hold off until I know if I need to take the legs in any more. Sorry about the slightly blurry picture, I was half crouching to try and get a good shot of my legs haha

I also can't find belt clips anywhere for the life of me, so I'm thinking about maybe using money clips to hold the boot plates over the laces.

I messaged Jas'ika from forge props a week ago to ask about a bucket, haven't heard back yet... Anyone know how long replies from sellers usually take and when I should try again?

« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2017, 05:00 PM by Akaleh Skirata » Logged

Havelock

« Reply #66 on: Apr 11, 2017, 05:39 PM »
With the craziness of everybody trying to get ready for Celebration, most of the vendors are probably swamped and/or traveling.  I'd give it until after Celebration is over before messaging Jas'ika again.  :)

The flight suit legs still look a bit baggy to me, but you'll to get a second opinion for sure.  And since many of the App Team are going to Celebration...it may take a day or two for another opinion.

As for using a money clip to hold the plate on your laces, that's an ingenious idea.  Give it a shot!

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
« Reply #67 on: Apr 11, 2017, 08:21 PM »
Hmmm, K. Thought you were going on the outside with your pant legs. That's going to be a lot of laces to cover. You could do spats and attach your plates to them. This is the attachment I used:

You can see the clip attached to the inside that clips around the laces, then a strap that goes around the back of the heel to hold it in place. This gives good float so you can walk comfortably, but everything stays in place all day. ;)

As for the legs, yeah, still a little baggy. You want to hit that sweet spot that looks fitted but isn't uncomfortable.

MMCC # 1013

M.A. #175

trashcanmando

« Reply #68 on: Apr 11, 2017, 08:49 PM »
Ohhh, yeah, I forgot Celebration was so soon. Well, I'll try again in a week, then.

I took the pants legs in more and I think I found that sweet spot, but I'm going to wait until I have the boot plates done and get a full shot of my legs then. Couldn't find any money clips, belt clips, or anything comparable, but that's probably good, cause that simpler clip looks a lot easier! I'm planning on using some blue cloth similar to the waist sash to wrap around the upper laces and help tie it in place.

I tried the iron on trick with the adhesive velcro, and it worked decently, but I still wanted it to be stronger, so I ended up sewing that in too. Got some sew in velcro cause if I'm going to end up going over the adhesive anyways.... But everything below my waist besides the boot plates is finished, and it feels super cool! I can't wait to see how cool full kit feels!  ;D

aforklikeutensil

• Porgiatrician
« Reply #69 on: Apr 11, 2017, 09:57 PM »
You're going at a good clip with these updates.  :D  Good work!  Sewing on velcro is must IMO; I don't trust adhesive back stuff either.

trashcanmando

« Reply #70 on: Apr 12, 2017, 10:26 PM »
Thanks, Fork!  :D
Finished up the boot plates today and sewed more velcro on the knees- mainly what I did was help my ori'vod alter her flight suit! Her concept forum's up here- http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=131689.0
I'm pretty excited about her build, I went mostly traditional, but she wants night owl helmet, is going to buy female plates from the arsenal, is going to make a kama, and is going for shinees, so it's going to be a fun time! Glad I'm doing my build first so I already know what I'm doing, heh... Her flight suit alterations were pretty painless after I'd already struggled through my own.

Here's my finished altered flight suit with all the lower plates and what I have for the belt so far:

I moved the trophies to behind my pouch, cause they were knocking and swinging all over my cod plate and it was a tad annoying:

I'm pretty pleased with everything except the boot plates. They look fine from the front and in the pictures, but when I look down at them they're flaring out quite a bit, even with the tie holding them down somewhat. And I attached the clip with velcro because it was impossible to work the clip into the laces with the plate on it, so this way I can insert the clip and then place the plate, as shown:

The problem with this is that whenever I walk it makes a velcro ripping noise, which is the velcro coming off and reattaching with every step. I think I'm just going to rivet the clip on straight through the plate and put up with the difficulties of working the plate into the laces every time. And I need to glue the straps on again because I forgot to clean the residue paint off the plates before I glued...

Overall, the boot plates are functional, I guess, (after I glue the fabric again and rivet the clip) but a pair of good laceless boots are definitely going on the upgrades list.

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
« Reply #71 on: Apr 12, 2017, 10:56 PM »
The clips for the boot plates don't have to be terribly tight, mine are fairly open in fact. That leaves lot's of room for them to float back and forth as you walk. The trick is, get the clip wide enough that the plate doesn't float off to the side, and loose enough so you can point the toe of your boot and slip the plate on.

MMCC # 1013

M.A. #175

Ruus bal'Neta

• Awards Airmobile brigade member Award for 75 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Shock Infantry Brigade Member 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #72 on: Apr 13, 2017, 12:10 PM »
I use elastic for my boot plates, both around the back (heel) and under the boot. I have tan boots and found some tan elastic that I just weathered to match the boots as well as I could. I don't have any problems with them coming loose or sliding around at all. My boots have a zipper closure on the side (in addition to the laces) and the plates stay on the boots all the time.

Brigades # 253 - Vanguard Division / Shock Infantry / Droid Hunter (1/18/18 1st approved)
Brigades # 310 - Striker Division / Special Operations / Privateer (10/16/19)
Brigades # 356 - Vanguard Division / Airmobile / Pilot (12/21/20)
Brigades # 361 - Striker / Field Ops Divisions // Special Operations / Environmental Specialist // Sniper / Arctic Operations (2/3/21)

trashcanmando

« Reply #73 on: Apr 13, 2017, 03:21 PM »
Thanks for the tips- I glued the velcro clips on permanently and figured out that I can slip the clip in before I put the boot on and make things way easier for myself. There's also that loop thing on the back of the boots that I've never been able to figure out a use for- if I thread the cloth through that at the back, it stays tighter and everything holds better, so I'm much happier with my boot plates after figuring that stuff out.

Still gonna look for some good laceless boots for upgrading though, I'm not a huge fan of the boot plate look in the first place.

I was hoping to start work on the flak vest today, and it might still happen, but my progress is going to be waaay down for Easter. No complaining, this is probably one of my favorite holidays, but I am anxious to get the flak vest!

EDIT: Got the flak vest patterned out and constructed! It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be, but it does still need a few alterations.

Black... may have not been the most photogenic choice of soft parts colors. I added lines for where the shoulders and hem ends- that bottom 'hem' is actually folded up, it ends slightly lower than that and will need to be taken up about an inch. I put on all the kit I have so far and held up the plates, I think the spacing looks pretty good! My one concern is the shoulder plates:

Line for where the shoulder on the flak vest currently ends. I've got to add shoulder bells yet, but they'll have to be awfully big to come from the end of the shoulder seam down to the entire plate... Can the shoulder plate hang off the flak vest shoulder, or does it have to be entirely backed by the flak vest? I can move them up a little and trim a bit off the plates. I really hope it's not a matter of extending the shoulder seam farther, or maybe I'll just have slightly larger than normal shoulder bells or something.

I took a collar from a knit turtleneck and sewed it on, saves a lot of trouble trying to fit my head into a stiff duck cloth collar. The problem is that with this collar, it pushes on the back of my neck and if I wear it for much longer than like, ten minute, I start getting neck pain. Once I wore the shirt the collar came from for about three hours and had a horrible neck and headache. The same thing happens to me with some necklaces. I'm thinking about reinforcing the collar with some cereal cardboard to hold it off my neck a bit more, since stiffer collars don't do that to me.

I also started sweating just kitting up, so my idea to get an alternative summer flight suit is looking like a really good one. It was a bit warmer than usual in the house, but there's no way I'm going to be able to do troops in the middle of summer as is. At least without constantly tucking ice cubes down my back.  ;D

Oh, I also got a cheap recorder today. I loved that stupid tiny bes'bev back on the last page so much that I had to make a better one, even if I don't end up officially adding it to my kit.

I'm really excited to work out the rest of the flak vest and get on to attaching plates, though! After that, I'll be on the downhill slope!

« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2017, 11:49 PM by Akaleh Skirata » Logged

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #74 on: Apr 14, 2017, 07:55 AM »
Your shoulder plate can definitely hang off the flak vest. In fact, the shoulder wings on the vest are technically optional.

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!