Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Scully WIP (first armor)

• 51 Replies
Re: Scully WIP (first armor)
« Reply #15 on: Jun 25, 2017, 12:35 AM »
Thanks! The tape kept sliding down, so it's definitely lower than it should be. I think that's what's making the shape seem a bit off. Going to give that another shot with it shifted higher and see if that helps.

Omega

• Thread Killer
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #16 on: Jun 25, 2017, 11:50 AM »
Nice progress!

It does look like your chest plates need to be shifted up however. The collar should almost be choking you and the rest of the plates should be moved up to follow. Remember to keep about a thumbs width apart :)

It does look like the plates are a touch too wide but I'd like to see everything moved up before I recommend trimming anything.

What she said. lol

Killing threads since 2013

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 100 official invasions. 15+ invasions in 2018 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Chicago
« Reply #17 on: Jun 26, 2017, 12:47 PM »
Thanks! The tape kept sliding down, so it's definitely lower than it should be. I think that's what's making the shape seem a bit off. Going to give that another shot with it shifted higher and see if that helps.

Yeah tape will do that! lol can't wait to see those pictures :)

ShadowRex

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #18 on: Jul 04, 2017, 07:53 AM »
Really looking forward to seeing the design come to life! #teamcape for the win!

And yes to what has been said prior: Tape slips all over when attempting to photo yourself. Find a friend to snap a few shots for you!

Tailoring the flightsuit: Don't take it in so much you can't bend without fear of a split seam on legs,, hind end, etc. or that you can't get out of it yourself. Having had to cut someone out of one...

Spacing: Triple agreement here.
If you have someone not in the know assisting you, maybe trim a bit of leftover sintra down to use like a tile spacer when taping the plates on. The assistant can refer to that and help position the plates better. Make a smaller one for the spacing around the chest diamond. And yes to the 'IF the collar plate isn't at the I think I'm about to get choked' position, it should come up a bit more. ;)

Naast Clan Tra'alor 2020
« Reply #19 on: Jul 24, 2017, 02:56 PM »
Hey guys! I took your advice and fixed up the chest pieces—turns out I hadn't included the curve on the outside edges, and that’s why it looked too wide. Finished the knees and the back piece with some help, and primed and started the silver layer yesterday. Weather permitting, I'm going to try to get some more painting done today.

« Reply #20 on: Aug 03, 2017, 08:23 PM »
Hey guys! Made some progress on the paint job this week, so I wanted to share it with you guys. I have all the white pieces done to the point where I need to start weathering, and I just finished most of the gold pieces.

The gold paint is still drying, so I haven't completely removed the masking yet, but should be interesting. Let me know what you think!

Anansi

• Ratiin de gar be'eso, ner vod.
« Reply #21 on: Aug 04, 2017, 12:36 PM »
That looks really good, really genuine. Looks like someone with a slugthrower tried really hard to take you down.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP
« Reply #22 on: Aug 04, 2017, 12:41 PM »
I get knocked down, but I get back up again.

Thanks! I studied a lot of weathering, took a lot of reference photos, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

« Reply #23 on: Aug 16, 2017, 09:48 AM »
Finished painting the rest of my armor! Next up, black wash. Started on my sidearm holster as well. After a trip to the store, I'm going to attach the pieces.

I've heard a lot of methods to attach them, what's worked for you?

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 100 official invasions. 15+ invasions in 2018 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Chicago
« Reply #24 on: Aug 16, 2017, 03:37 PM »
For my armor, I use Velcro. I like that I can adjust if needed. Some people hate thag attachment method because you can move things around and use snaps or magnets. There is no right or wrong to do it so it's up to you :)

Vor'en Marr

• Vor'en Marr
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #25 on: Aug 16, 2017, 04:30 PM »
Hey Vod, looking good.
For some finer detail, take some fine grit sandpaper to further feather the scratches you have received in battle  :P

I can see a little paint run in your right knee. Use some there :)

MMCC OM #1437 |MMCC Brigade #198| B.O.M.B #069 | MiB #018| B.O.O.M #027
« Reply #26 on: Aug 17, 2017, 12:32 PM »
Thanks for the help, guys! Doing this over the weekend, and hopefully getting it mounted on the flight suit/flak vest shortly thereafter.

« Reply #27 on: Aug 19, 2017, 12:17 AM »
Hey guys! I took your advice and scuffed up the exposed metal with sandpaper, then gave it a black wash.

A comparison shot of before and after dirtying it up. The piece on the right is getting a red Mythosaur on it this weekend, so no dirt for him yet.

Before and after shins:

The full layout of everything I've built so far. I'm replacing the white sash with a red one, but I wanted to have something for the picture.

« Reply #28 on: Aug 25, 2017, 11:00 PM »
Got my gauntlets most of the way there today—after two botched attempts at making them from sintra, I got a couple of Wal-Mart-brand toilet brush holders and converted those. Didn't need the piano hinge because I can slip my hands in and out, but I ended up cutting out and section to give my elbows some mobility.

Next step is to hit them with some black wash, and I think that'll do it.

Boxception

• Cel'exa Klina'shel OM #1861
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #29 on: Aug 27, 2017, 12:21 AM »
nice work with the paint and black wash... did a good job with your gauntlets. If your looking for simplicity you could add some little greeblies or wires to them. Otherwise i like where this is going. ohhh dont forget to make sure your soft goods are weathered consistently with your armor weathering (goes for your belt and boots too)

PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW       Cel'exa Klina'shel OM #1861
MY WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=135464.msg1752482#msg1752482

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!