Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Scully WIP (first armor)

• 51 Replies

ShadowRex

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
Re: Scully WIP (first armor)
« Reply #30 on: Sep 14, 2017, 12:49 PM »
Woot woot!!! Progress is being made!

Feed the WIP hungry Ruus!

Naast Clan Tra'alor 2020

Vhekadla Yustapir

• Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #31 on: Sep 20, 2017, 06:36 PM »
I'm with Mama Rex. I know I've seen your kit further along than this ner vod! You've got some dragoncon photos in there somewhere. :laugh:

Armor Construction WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=97982.0

Path to Brigade: Beskar Repairs and Upgrades: "Link TBD"
« Reply #32 on: Sep 21, 2017, 01:58 AM »
I have exactly two... I've been searching for photos but this is all I can find. I didn't have a photographer with me, so I'm having to scrounge around for other people's photos.

« Reply #33 on: Jan 26, 2018, 03:18 PM »
Took a few months, but I finally have an update!

Actually wearing the suit at Dragon Con made me realize I had some changes to make—so now I'm taking my time to get it right. I ended up doing a few things to get it closer to what I'm thinking of.

- Reshaped the left thigh plate, it wasn't curved enough to stay on
- Brown wash over the boot plates, shins, gauntlets, and knees (really trying to gunk it up like I had to fight in dirt or mud)
- Added elastic straps to the shin plates to hold them on
- I'm adding straps to the codpiece to hold it on
- I'm adding sew-on Velcro to the vest to keep everything on

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #34 on: Jan 26, 2018, 03:48 PM »
Looking really nice, vod.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #35 on: Jan 26, 2018, 04:32 PM »
Thank you!

« Reply #36 on: Jan 28, 2018, 01:54 PM »
Had a question for anybody who might know—what's the best way to attach Jango-style thigh armor and shin armor? I have elastic that matches my flight suit nearly exactly, but I wasn't sure if that would be approvable?

Can I use color-matched elastic, and if so can it be visible or do I have to cut a slit in the flight suit and hide it?

I have pistol holsters on both side with leg straps, and I'm thinking about adding some kind of spats or boot covers for the shin plates.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2018, 02:02 PM by michaeljscully » Logged

Havelock

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #37 on: Jan 28, 2018, 03:24 PM »
My thighs and shins are held in place with velcro, and so far it seems to do the job.  As the fabric on my flight suit isn't skin tight, there's a certain amount of movement.  If you'd like to eliminate that, and keep your thigh plates from moving, then you can certainly add elastic.  You'll want to run the elastic under your flight suit so it's not visible, though.

For the shins, you can use color-matched elastic on the outside of the boots or spats.  But if you go with spats, and they sit fairly snug on your legs, you shouldn't need it, but again, are welcome to use it.  Or you can run it on the inside of the spat to better match the aesthetic of the thigh plates. 

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
« Reply #38 on: Jan 28, 2018, 05:49 PM »
Thanks Havelock! I think just the Velcro will work on the thigh plates as long as I use the leg straps for the holsters to keep them from moving too much.

So the elastic is ok to show on the shin plates if it matches? That works great, because I found elastic that matches the flight suit really closely.

Thanks again for the help!

Havelock

« Reply #39 on: Jan 28, 2018, 06:28 PM »
Any time.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #40 on: Jan 29, 2018, 06:25 AM »
So the elastic is ok to show on the shin plates if it matches? That works great, because I found elastic that matches the flight suit really closely.

Colour matched elastic is allowed in the following places only: knees, elbows and under boots. You can also use elastic on a Boba thong. All other elastic must be hidden by running it through the flightsuit or by covering it with a fabric/leather sheath.

It usually works best to have two separate methods of attachment if you can rather than just one, (although lighter materials such as sintra may only need the one). Velcro, strapping round the leg and drop leg strapping from a belt are the usual three ways of keeping thighs in place. Strapping round the leg and velcro are the usual for shins if you do not have boots/spats which you can mount the armour directly to.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #41 on: Jan 29, 2018, 06:38 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, Kris!

In that case I'll probably make spats or boot covers for the shin plates.

I keep going back and forth on whether to use thigh plates, but since it's Sintra, seems like Velcro and the holster straps should be enough to keep it in place.

Havelock

« Reply #42 on: Jan 29, 2018, 06:55 AM »
My apologies.  I apparently confuse boot plates with shin plates.  I'm sorry for passing my confusion to you.

« Reply #43 on: Jan 29, 2018, 07:10 AM »
No worries man! You're online giving advice before sunrise, I think everyone gets a mulligan for that.

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #44 on: Jan 29, 2018, 01:38 PM »
Don't have anything to add really, just commenting to follow and say keep it up!

Pressure makes gems. Ease makes decay

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!