Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Scully WIP (first armor)

• 51 Replies
Scully WIP (first armor)
« on: Apr 04, 2017, 10:12 AM »
    Hey everybody! I've been wanting to build a Mando for years now, and I finally have the time & resources to get it done. I'm trying to follow the CRL as closely as possible

So far, here's what I've done.
    • Designed the look I want - not sure if I'm going to do the cape or not, but I wanted to see both options

• Acquired the bucket - 2 piece Jango

• Sized and cut armor templates

• Transferred to Sintra sheet (banana for scale)

• Acquired my flight suit (don't have a pic of it on yet but I need to hem the legs up a good bit)

[/list]

There's a lot of work left to do, but I'm probably going to start cutting the armor this weekend and get the hard pieces under way. I'm still figuring out the best way to make the remaining soft pieces like the flak jacket and girth belt.

Any insight is appreciated!

« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2017, 10:54 AM by michaeljscully » Logged

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Scully WIP (first armor)
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2017, 12:22 PM »
You can find a really good Girth Belt tutorial here, and a good flak vest tutorial here

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2017, 12:26 PM »
Thanks for the tutorials! Should be interesting making the flak jacket - I've never sewed anything before. Do you recommend going ahead with the armor first, or do you need to have the soft pieces done first to fit them properly?

Havelock

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2017, 01:06 PM »
You can do it either way.  You'll definitely need your flight suit and flak vest squared away before final sizing and placement of your plates, but you can go ahead and start working on them if you'd like.  Print up some paper templates, get them cut out and taped to you and we can check the sizing for you. 

Your flight suit and flak vest will definitely bulk you out a bit, which will affect the sizing of the plates.  Which is why a lot of people recommend that you leave a bit of extra.  It's a lot easier to take off some sintra than trying to add some.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2017, 01:19 PM »
Cool, thank you! I have the paper templates already cut, I just need to take some pictures with them taped on.

« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2017, 10:11 PM »
Just taped up the paper templates to the flight suit. I know I'm going to tailor the flight suit since it's a little long in the arms and legs, but can you guys see anything I'd have to tweak?

Havelock

« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2017, 10:17 PM »
Your plates look a bit wide.  If you can get someone to take a straight-on picture, that'll help a lot.  It looks like the collar plate would get raised, shifted, and moved around whenever you raise your arms, and the chest plates look like they'd poke you if you tried to touch your shoulder with the opposite hand.  That being said, this shouldn't require a whole lot of trimming to be good to go, especially since you probably want to have your actual plates a bit wide to start with, and trim them to fit.

Vertically, the bottom of the ab plate should be sitting right around your navel to no more than an inch above it.  It's hard to tell with the flight suit where your belly button is, but just looking at it, you seem to be ok, vertically.

You're off to a great start, vod.

« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2017, 10:26 PM »
Thanks, man! I'm going to check that out tomorrow and make some adjustments. Then finally the cutting!

« Reply #8 on: Jun 05, 2017, 12:18 AM »
Hey guys! After couple of false starts and a lot of practice with a rotary tool, I finally have most of my plates cut. I'm sourcing materials for a flak jacket right now, once that's made, I'll heat and mold the armor pieces. But I have pics below, so tell me what you think!

Havelock

« Reply #9 on: Jun 05, 2017, 12:52 AM »
Cool.  Let's see them on you.  :)

« Reply #10 on: Jun 22, 2017, 04:17 PM »
Quick update: since the weather isn't cooperating with me to finish the armor, I'm starting to tailor the flight suit.

I like it with more of a slim fit, so I have a good bit to cut off. This is my first time sewing anything, so it should be interesting.

I'll post more pics as I go!

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 100 official invasions. 15+ invasions in 2018 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Chicago
« Reply #11 on: Jun 23, 2017, 03:45 PM »
Cool.  Let's see them on you.  :)

Great progress so far! But I agree with havelock, let's see those plates on ya!

« Reply #12 on: Jun 24, 2017, 07:59 PM »
Got my plates shaped today! Still need to cut out the kneepads, gauntlets, and back plate, but I'm pretty pleased with where I got to today.

And yes, soon as I get a free moment I'll get a pic of them on for you guys. Here's a progress pic in the meantime!

« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2017, 09:17 PM by michaeljscully » Logged
« Reply #13 on: Jun 24, 2017, 11:36 PM »
Ok, took a while but I got the torso plates test fitted. I'm starting to notice a few places that need work, but I'd love to hear what you guys think!

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 100 official invasions. 15+ invasions in 2018 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Chicago
« Reply #14 on: Jun 25, 2017, 12:32 AM »
Nice progress!

It does look like your chest plates need to be shifted up however. The collar should almost be choking you and the rest of the plates should be moved up to follow. Remember to keep about a thumbs width apart :)

It does look like the plates are a touch too wide but I'd like to see everything moved up before I recommend trimming anything.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!