Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Scully WIP (first armor)

• 51 Replies
Scully WIP (first armor)
« on: Apr 04, 2017, 10:12 AM »
    Hey everybody! I've been wanting to build a Mando for years now, and I finally have the time & resources to get it done. I'm trying to follow the CRL as closely as possible

So far, here's what I've done.
    • Designed the look I want - not sure if I'm going to do the cape or not, but I wanted to see both options

• Acquired the bucket - 2 piece Jango

• Sized and cut armor templates

• Transferred to Sintra sheet (banana for scale)

• Acquired my flight suit (don't have a pic of it on yet but I need to hem the legs up a good bit)

[/list]

There's a lot of work left to do, but I'm probably going to start cutting the armor this weekend and get the hard pieces under way. I'm still figuring out the best way to make the remaining soft pieces like the flak jacket and girth belt.

Any insight is appreciated!

« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2017, 10:54 AM by michaeljscully » Logged

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Scully WIP (first armor)
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2017, 12:22 PM »
You can find a really good Girth Belt tutorial here, and a good flak vest tutorial here

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2017, 12:26 PM »
Thanks for the tutorials! Should be interesting making the flak jacket - I've never sewed anything before. Do you recommend going ahead with the armor first, or do you need to have the soft pieces done first to fit them properly?

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2017, 01:06 PM »
You can do it either way.  You'll definitely need your flight suit and flak vest squared away before final sizing and placement of your plates, but you can go ahead and start working on them if you'd like.  Print up some paper templates, get them cut out and taped to you and we can check the sizing for you. 

Your flight suit and flak vest will definitely bulk you out a bit, which will affect the sizing of the plates.  Which is why a lot of people recommend that you leave a bit of extra.  It's a lot easier to take off some sintra than trying to add some.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2017, 01:19 PM »
Cool, thank you! I have the paper templates already cut, I just need to take some pictures with them taped on.

« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2017, 10:11 PM »
Just taped up the paper templates to the flight suit. I know I'm going to tailor the flight suit since it's a little long in the arms and legs, but can you guys see anything I'd have to tweak?

Havelock

« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2017, 10:17 PM »
Your plates look a bit wide.  If you can get someone to take a straight-on picture, that'll help a lot.  It looks like the collar plate would get raised, shifted, and moved around whenever you raise your arms, and the chest plates look like they'd poke you if you tried to touch your shoulder with the opposite hand.  That being said, this shouldn't require a whole lot of trimming to be good to go, especially since you probably want to have your actual plates a bit wide to start with, and trim them to fit.

Vertically, the bottom of the ab plate should be sitting right around your navel to no more than an inch above it.  It's hard to tell with the flight suit where your belly button is, but just looking at it, you seem to be ok, vertically.

You're off to a great start, vod.

« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2017, 10:26 PM »
Thanks, man! I'm going to check that out tomorrow and make some adjustments. Then finally the cutting!

« Reply #8 on: Jun 05, 2017, 12:18 AM »
Hey guys! After couple of false starts and a lot of practice with a rotary tool, I finally have most of my plates cut. I'm sourcing materials for a flak jacket right now, once that's made, I'll heat and mold the armor pieces. But I have pics below, so tell me what you think!

Havelock

« Reply #9 on: Jun 05, 2017, 12:52 AM »
Cool.  Let's see them on you.  :)

« Reply #10 on: Jun 22, 2017, 04:17 PM »
Quick update: since the weather isn't cooperating with me to finish the armor, I'm starting to tailor the flight suit.

I like it with more of a slim fit, so I have a good bit to cut off. This is my first time sewing anything, so it should be interesting.

I'll post more pics as I go!

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Jun 23, 2017, 03:45 PM »
Cool.  Let's see them on you.  :)

Great progress so far! But I agree with havelock, let's see those plates on ya!

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP
« Reply #12 on: Jun 24, 2017, 07:59 PM »
Got my plates shaped today! Still need to cut out the kneepads, gauntlets, and back plate, but I'm pretty pleased with where I got to today.

And yes, soon as I get a free moment I'll get a pic of them on for you guys. Here's a progress pic in the meantime!

« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2017, 09:17 PM by michaeljscully » Logged
« Reply #13 on: Jun 24, 2017, 11:36 PM »
Ok, took a while but I got the torso plates test fitted. I'm starting to notice a few places that need work, but I'd love to hear what you guys think!

Kryamla Redalur

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: Jun 25, 2017, 12:32 AM »
Nice progress!

It does look like your chest plates need to be shifted up however. The collar should almost be choking you and the rest of the plates should be moved up to follow. Remember to keep about a thumbs width apart :)

It does look like the plates are a touch too wide but I'd like to see everything moved up before I recommend trimming anything.

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP
« Reply #15 on: Jun 25, 2017, 12:35 AM »
Thanks! The tape kept sliding down, so it's definitely lower than it should be. I think that's what's making the shape seem a bit off. Going to give that another shot with it shifted higher and see if that helps.

Omega

• Thread Killer
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #16 on: Jun 25, 2017, 11:50 AM »
Nice progress!

It does look like your chest plates need to be shifted up however. The collar should almost be choking you and the rest of the plates should be moved up to follow. Remember to keep about a thumbs width apart :)

It does look like the plates are a touch too wide but I'd like to see everything moved up before I recommend trimming anything.

What she said. lol

Killing threads since 2013

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #17 on: Jun 26, 2017, 12:47 PM »
Thanks! The tape kept sliding down, so it's definitely lower than it should be. I think that's what's making the shape seem a bit off. Going to give that another shot with it shifted higher and see if that helps.

Yeah tape will do that! lol can't wait to see those pictures :)

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

ShadowRex

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #18 on: Jul 04, 2017, 07:53 AM »
Really looking forward to seeing the design come to life! #teamcape for the win!

And yes to what has been said prior: Tape slips all over when attempting to photo yourself. Find a friend to snap a few shots for you!

Tailoring the flightsuit: Don't take it in so much you can't bend without fear of a split seam on legs,, hind end, etc. or that you can't get out of it yourself. Having had to cut someone out of one...

Spacing: Triple agreement here.
If you have someone not in the know assisting you, maybe trim a bit of leftover sintra down to use like a tile spacer when taping the plates on. The assistant can refer to that and help position the plates better. Make a smaller one for the spacing around the chest diamond. And yes to the 'IF the collar plate isn't at the I think I'm about to get choked' position, it should come up a bit more. ;)

« Reply #19 on: Jul 24, 2017, 02:56 PM »
Hey guys! I took your advice and fixed up the chest pieces—turns out I hadn't included the curve on the outside edges, and that’s why it looked too wide. Finished the knees and the back piece with some help, and primed and started the silver layer yesterday. Weather permitting, I'm going to try to get some more painting done today.

« Reply #20 on: Aug 03, 2017, 08:23 PM »
Hey guys! Made some progress on the paint job this week, so I wanted to share it with you guys. I have all the white pieces done to the point where I need to start weathering, and I just finished most of the gold pieces.

The gold paint is still drying, so I haven't completely removed the masking yet, but should be interesting. Let me know what you think!

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #21 on: Aug 04, 2017, 12:36 PM »
That looks really good, really genuine. Looks like someone with a slugthrower tried really hard to take you down.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Gunslinger - Special Weapons Brigade
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP
« Reply #22 on: Aug 04, 2017, 12:41 PM »
I get knocked down, but I get back up again.

Thanks! I studied a lot of weathering, took a lot of reference photos, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

« Reply #23 on: Aug 16, 2017, 09:48 AM »
Finished painting the rest of my armor! Next up, black wash. Started on my sidearm holster as well. After a trip to the store, I'm going to attach the pieces.

I've heard a lot of methods to attach them, what's worked for you?

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #24 on: Aug 16, 2017, 03:37 PM »
For my armor, I use Velcro. I like that I can adjust if needed. Some people hate thag attachment method because you can move things around and use snaps or magnets. There is no right or wrong to do it so it's up to you :)

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!