Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Helmet Dome build

• 3 Replies
Helmet Dome build
« on: Apr 10, 2017, 11:47 AM »
Me and a couple of friends are working on making sets of Mando armor. We are having trouble figuring out how to mold the dome and make it look good. All of the YouTube videos I find aren't very helpful. Any tips would be great.

Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade!
"Don't mess with mandalorians!"

Naritir Ka'ra

• If at first you don't succeed... reload.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Helmet Dome build
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2017, 12:18 PM »
Many of the scratch builders use bike helmets or hard hats as the basic shape. You could get lucky at your local thrift store or garage sales and pick up a used helmet for a couple of bucks.

Other than that, there are pepakura files out there, that you can cut and glue. Then bondo to fill in the gaps and sand your life away on the dome.

A quick search on the forums for "scratch build bucket" should give you a few more WIP's to look at.

MMCC #1755 | Invasions: 10
BOMB #57 | PMS #8 | MLCS #2 | WB #13 | VABS | MA #175 | MACK #41 | MTS #108 | MARS #66 | GOMOL #28 | MirShebs #16 | Wrang #3

I'll sign autographs, after the smoke clears.
Mk01 OM 4/5/17
F: naritir T: @naritir_kara IG: naritir
Story

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2017, 03:41 PM »
I am currently in the sand my life away phase of my scratch built dome, See page 3 of the helmet wip linked in my sig for what I wound up having to do because bike helmet/hardhat etc. resulted in a helmet too small for me.

Cheers

« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2017, 03:53 PM »
one i've seen people do is the old style baseball helmets. works well for X-wing pilots too. personally, i bought a dome-lidded trash can from walmart and glued the flip part shut, filling in the gaps with bondo~

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!