Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

New bucket help

• 13 Replies
New bucket help
« on: Apr 10, 2017, 08:24 PM »

Cut off tool for all the flash and visor space? Or does someone have a better tool suggestion? Thanks

Re: New bucket help
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2017, 09:55 PM »
For the flash I used a belt sander at work,  and a cut-off wheel in a dremel for the visor.  Then cleaned up the visor area with a file.

Bowfanny

• GENERAL SHINANIGUNGIGATOR
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2017, 04:16 AM »
I always cut my visors by hand with a sharp blade. Multiple passes of the blade to get through the resin the cleanest without tooling jumps as dremels are known for.
K.O.M.S. # 037
E.R.A. #033
Dog lobster supporter #38
BoBB#002
MABEL #062
MMCC #1120
Kilted Mando Brigade Member #24
Legacy W.I.P.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80766.0
Pre Vizsla Phase II Helmet W.I.P.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=79261.0

Jenga Feet

• Shiloh (Jenga Can'gal)
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2017, 08:29 AM »
Is that the headshot props bucket? I have the same one and my friend and I used a dremel very carefully to get rid of the flashing and visor (leaving extra material as to not cut too close) and then I went in with needle files to clean it up. The best advice I have is slow and steady
They/Them Pronouns | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 7

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC# 1330&1330b ORB#033 TDE#388
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #4 on: Apr 11, 2017, 08:32 AM »
Is that the headshot props bucket? I have the same one and my friend and I used a dremel very carefully to get rid of the flashing and visor (leaving extra material as to not cut too close) and then I went in with needle files to clean it up. The best advice I have is slow and steady

Looks like an HSP bucket; I've worked with several and I can vouch for the quality.  Here is a post I made for the process of pulling the bucket out of the box to weathering it to my clan-mate's overall kit.  Kir'manir Kyramud's bucket.  I used a hand grinder with a cutting blade and a careful hand.
Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.

Oyu'baat Clan

B.E.A.R.D.S #137
Mando Rider #038
ALUMINATI# 036
MLCS# 026
Mandalorian Armour WIP

OM Troops: 37

Karl Dha'Werda Facebook

Late Crusader #1330b

« Reply #5 on: Apr 12, 2017, 09:45 AM »
It is head shot props....it seems fairly sturdy. THanks for all the advice. Can't wait to get started.

« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2017, 02:31 PM »

Is it a requirement for the cheeks to be angled, and butted together? Or can I fabricate some straight cheeks for glasses fit?

Jenga Feet

• Shiloh (Jenga Can'gal)
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: Apr 19, 2017, 08:47 PM »
Even if you do, the amount of space you'd save for all the work would be minimal. I've also found that even though I can fit my glasses in my bucket, I hate wearing them in there because they constantly fog up.
They/Them Pronouns | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 7

« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2017, 04:02 PM »
Understood, but I might as well be blind without glasses. Working on Lasik surgery, but who knows.

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC# 1330&1330b ORB#033 TDE#388
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #9 on: Apr 20, 2017, 04:14 PM »
Understood, but I might as well be blind without glasses.

My friend has a HSP helmet and he has to put it on sideways and then twist to the front while wearing his glasses.  Also if you use Velcro to hold the visor in, it'll will give you a little flexibility.  Also makes it easy for replacing the visor in the future.

My wife just wears contacts when kitting up and has glasses for when she dekits.
Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.

Oyu'baat Clan

B.E.A.R.D.S #137
Mando Rider #038
ALUMINATI# 036
MLCS# 026
Mandalorian Armour WIP

OM Troops: 37

Karl Dha'Werda Facebook

Late Crusader #1330b

« Reply #10 on: Apr 20, 2017, 04:40 PM »
When I put on the helmet in my profile pic, I also do the sideways and turn to get the bucket on. I  ordered cheap glasses that are a little smaller than my normal ones for when I am in costume.

« Reply #11 on: Apr 20, 2017, 08:13 PM »
Thanks. I will try these suggestions. I appreciate it.

« Reply #12 on: Apr 21, 2017, 09:01 AM »
From my time in the Navy having to wear various helmets and whatnot prior to getting PRK, try to use glasses that have as small a frame as possible.  I found those worked pretty well.  The bigger frames would catch on just about everything, and I could see just fine with the smaller frames.  I was flying, so contacts really weren't an option.  Nothing quite like a contact lens getting out of kilter during a high-g turn.....

Everyone has command.  Command of their thoughts, Command of their actions.  Command of one's self is the highest form of command and is the first step in leading others.

« Reply #13 on: Apr 21, 2017, 10:40 AM »
I can imagine that would suck. I think I have some old, really small frame glasses, I'll try those, thanks.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!