Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ariana's Modern Mando Concept

• 13 Replies

gcnywaldork

• Ariana
Ariana's Modern Mando Concept
« on: Apr 25, 2017, 01:55 PM »

Hey All,

I'm starting to draw up some concepts for my Modern Mando. I've decided to start from the ground-up (or inside-out...) with the "soft parts" and have a question about the flak vest requirements:

Are visible snaps permissible on the neck of the flak vest?

I want to build the neck seal into the flak vest. The whole thing will be constructed out of a non-stretchy faux leather material, so my concept sketch below shows that the whole right side will open up, rather than having a closed neck hole.

A few notes about the concept sketch:
  • Hardware pieces are shown in orange for visibility, but will be a silver / grey to match the color of the flak vest.
  • The black part shown in the right side view of the jacket is actually the flight suit color showing through.
  • The snaps that sit on top of of the shoulder should be hidden by the neck plate once it is attached.
  • The left side will look similar with straps / d-rings (or buckles), but there will be no neck opening on the left side and no snaps.
Flak Vest Concept Sketch:

Looking forward to any notes / suggestions / criticisms! I will have concepts of the armor and color scheme posted to this thread in the coming days as well :)

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 10:38 PM by gcnywaldork » Logged
~ Ariana.

Ariana's Modern Mando WIP:
Concept | Soft Parts

All-Encompassing Project Blog:
https://arianametzler.wordpress.com

Crixus-Wren

• Crixus Wren The Undefeated Mandalorian
Re: Ariana's Modern Mando Concept
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2017, 06:22 PM »
Everything looks INCREDIBLE, you are so talented! it will be an honor to be in the same clan with you one day :)

Kardos Shantiel

• I don't need gaunts I've got the POWER GLOVE!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2017, 08:31 PM »
I do like the side of the vest and it's open style. I think snaps are okay, and it would mean it'd be easier to take both on and off for sure.

Proud member of the Dumbstruck Podcast Team!

http://www.twitch.tv/dumbstruck_podcast

Armor:

Mashukir Prudiise

• the laziest of potatoes
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2017 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2017, 09:24 PM »
my neckseal has visible snaps, and my armour harness has very visible bolts and belt buckles.

gcnywaldork

• Ariana
« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2017, 12:16 PM »
Everything looks INCREDIBLE, you are so talented! it will be an honor to be in the same clan with you one day :)
Thanks! Woot, Clan Falco!

I do like the side of the vest and it's open style. I think snaps are okay, and it would mean it'd be easier to take both on and off for sure.
Yes, definitely. That's the goal :-) Thanks for the feedback!

my neckseal has visible snaps, and my armour harness has very visible bolts and belt buckles.
Good to know! Your armor looks amazing. I just went through your WIP thread, and all that metal work is super-impressive!

~ Ariana.

Concept | Soft Parts

Mashukir Prudiise

• the laziest of potatoes
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2017 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2017, 09:10 PM »
Thank you very much!! It was a labour of love, but SO worth it!! I look forward to seeing your build!

Crixus-Wren

• Crixus Wren The Undefeated Mandalorian
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2017, 10:01 PM »
"Thanks! Woot, Clan Falco!"
No problem, I mean it!  Woooooooooooo Whoooo, FALCO!

gcnywaldork

• Ariana
« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2017, 10:07 AM »
Alright, so here is my armor concept!

My original idea was to go with a gold mirror visor, then have metallic gold accents (shown in yellow) on top of the blue base color, but I'm kind of digging the yellow. I'll have to see what contrasts better when I get to deciding on my paint options.

Also, I'm not sure if I want to go with a completely new / shiny look or add weathering throughout. Interested in y'all's opinions :-)

~ Ariana.

Concept | Soft Parts

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #8 on: Apr 28, 2017, 10:14 AM »
In my opinion, weathering really brings things next level and gives a more "walked off screen" look. Also, if you do a shiny kit if you get bumps or scratches during troops you'll have to repair them, but they're no issue on a weathered kit.

Really loving your concept art great work so far  :D

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

grantaire

• Steve Buscemi rhymes with Mom's Spaghetti
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #9 on: Apr 28, 2017, 11:21 AM »
All of this concept art looks great. I agree with Jenga Feet - weathered kits have a bit more character to them. You can see how they've gone through some action. But honestly it's up to you! I think you're off to a great start and you're ready to start building.

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #10 on: Apr 29, 2017, 01:09 AM »
Love the concept and I agree with the others on weathering. It doesn't even have to be heavily done just light washes and scratches can really help a kit come together.

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #11 on: Apr 29, 2017, 04:50 PM »
The sketches look really good!

I think, like every one else, that even just a little bit of weathering is a good idea. I, personally, especially like weathering on brightly coloured kits like like yours for the symbolism: a bright personality in a rough and dirty world 8)

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

gcnywaldork

• Ariana
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 10:38 PM »
In my opinion, weathering really brings things next level and gives a more "walked off screen" look. Also, if you do a shiny kit if you get bumps or scratches during troops you'll have to repair them, but they're no issue on a weathered kit.

Really loving your concept art great work so far  :D

All of this concept art looks great. I agree with Jenga Feet - weathered kits have a bit more character to them. You can see how they've gone through some action. But honestly it's up to you! I think you're off to a great start and you're ready to start building.

Love the concept and I agree with the others on weathering. It doesn't even have to be heavily done just light washes and scratches can really help a kit come together.

The sketches look really good!

I think, like every one else, that even just a little bit of weathering is a good idea. I, personally, especially like weathering on brightly coloured kits like like yours for the symbolism: a bright personality in a rough and dirty world 8)

Weathering it is! Thank you all for the feedback!

I finally got around to starting my soft parts. Link to that WIP thread can be found here at this link  ;D

~ Ariana.

Concept | Soft Parts

gcnywaldork

• Ariana
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2019, 08:27 PM »
Reviving this thread with an updated concept image :rolleyes:

Link to WIP can be found here.

~ Ariana.

Concept | Soft Parts

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!