Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Tutorial -chest plates out of fencing chest protector

• 13 Replies

Xirra Vaand

• If you ain't cheatin' , you ain't tryin'
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
Hi vode! In making my kit I found a much easier way to make chest plates for us ladies and I thought I should share it with all of you. Instead of cutting out plates from flat sintra and having to wrestle with shaping and darting, I used a fencing chest protector.

These things are already shaped to fit us gals and are readily available from most fencing supply stores. I ordered mine from this site http://www.blue-gauntlet.com/BG-Full-Chest-PROTECTOR-Sizes-for-women_p_3741.html I'm a size 36B and the small fit me just fine.

So, once you get your chest protector you'll need to trace the mando chest plate template onto it.

I used this plate template from the female template resource board to trace mine http://waffleha.us/external/mercs/ViraPlates.pdf

I used a dremel to cut mine out, making sure to cut a little outside of the trace lines since dremels tend to melt the plastic a bit while cutting. You'll also need to sand out any logos present and fill in the ventilation holes with bondo. Once you're done you should have something that looks like this. (I took this one before I filled the holes in mine).

The chest protector is a little short to completely accommodate the template, so you'll most likely have to make a spacer plate to go between your chest and collar plates, but that will still pass the CRLs. Here's a photo of mine so you have some idea of how it looks together.

Now, I'm not sure exactly what type of plastic these things are made out of but they can still be shaped with a heat gun just as you would with sintra incase you need to make any fit adjustments. The only thing I noticed is that once heated you have to hold it in place longer while it cools to get it to hold the shape you want.

Once you have your plates cut make sure to sand the daylights out of them and use a good primer on them before you paint. You can see how mine went from being kinda glossy to start with to being significantly dulled after the sanding. This type of plastic can be a little stubborn with paint, but as long as it's sanded well and primed you should be fine. Here's my finished product

I hope y'all find this useful and that is saves you the pain of shaping. If you've got any questions feel free to ask.

MMCC #1760 - Mir'shebs #18 - M.M.R.S #4 - M5 #85

My  WIP thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=119407.0
Weapons WIP : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=120285.0

grantaire

• Steve Buscemi rhymes with Mom's Spaghetti
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Tutorial -chest plates out of fencing chest protector
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 12:22 PM »
This is an awesome tutorial! Thanks for going out of the trouble of making it. I'll try and keep this in mind as a resource for any female mandos who want this look. :) I feel like it definitely beats the mannequin technique and it comes out with a really subtle but feminine look.

Xirra Vaand

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 04:07 PM »
Thanks! This one saved me a lot of grief, and when it made it through the app process I knew I needed to share it.

JrMint82

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 08:13 PM »
Thanks for sharing this! Will definitely be passing this info to female recruits. your kit looks awesome btw!

Zarya Arthos

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 05:27 PM »
Very clever! Good tutorial.

Looking for mirrored visors? Click Here!

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 06:16 PM »
This is an excellent tutorial.  Perhaps one of the mods *cough, cough*Aria*cough, cough* should sticky it so it doesn't get lost.   :)

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 11:16 PM »
thanks for posting this! i actually saw your thread a while back and have been using this to make my chest plates! What a great idea! Others will benefit for sure! :D

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 02:12 AM »
This is an excellent tutorial.  Perhaps one of the mods *cough, cough*Aria*cough, cough* should sticky it so it doesn't get lost.   :)
Don't tell me how to do my job, Havelock!  :laugh:  :laugh:

Actually, I intend to use Skullstitch's tutorial in the new female armor resources board, so I will probably get it sticky'd or perhaps look into getting us ladies a tutorial board for our very own from Thaxos when that gets finished. #alltheplans

Again, this is a wonderfully helpful tutorial, Skullstitch. Thank you so much for putting it together!!

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 11:54 AM »
Thaxos was telling me at Celebration that he wished more people would post some tutorials.  So any ladies that have an interest, and the capability of putting some together, there are a lot of people who'd appreciate it.  (Goes for the gentlemen, too, by the way.  heh)

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Xirra Vaand

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 03:29 PM »
Happy to help.  ;D A tutorials board for us ladies sounds like an excellent idea btw.

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 04:10 PM »
Great use and unique approach :)

Thaxos was telling me at Celebration that he wished more people would post some tutorials.  So any ladies that have an interest, and the capability of putting some together, there are a lot of people who'd appreciate it.  (Goes for the gentlemen, too, by the way.  heh)

This is currently in the works, I know this as I am actively pushing for it, so it's not being ignored.

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 09:51 PM »
very awesome tutorial vod! I've got a couple female friends who are interested in joining the mercs and I'm sure this will save them plenty of grief and also motivate them to push forward!

Keep your friends close and your Mandos closer

ValFrost

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #12 on: Jul 29, 2018, 10:06 PM »
This is so awesome! I have been agonizing over chest plates for months. Now I have the motivation and an awesome tutorial!

Katt

« Reply #13 on: Aug 12, 2018, 08:17 PM »
What a great idea. I'll have to remember when I finish Sabine and start on my custom mando.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!