Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Grant's Custom Mando

• 17 Replies

grantaire

• Steve Buscemi rhymes with Mom's Spaghetti
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Grant's Custom Mando
« on: May 08, 2017, 12:43 PM »
Since I don't have the talent or the money to finish my Sabine's soft parts, I'd figure that I'd work on my custom Mandalorian. I hope that I can get it done by the end of the year so that I can finally troop again.

The doodle below shows what I'm leaning toward on the kit. Layered trauma plates, death watch inspired thighs and cod. Sabine inspired knees to boot armor. I'll probably change the design of the trauma plates though - I'm not really happy with what I've tried to piece together.

Here is what I've been able to work on.

1) I'm piecing together a Jango Arena jetpack from Pepakura. It's really stressful since my apartment recently flooded and the humidity is messing with the rigidity of the cardstock. I really hope I can make the rocket tip and the thrusters as neatly as possible.

2) The cod is Bo-Katan inspired. But I figured instead of having a complicated attachment method directly to the flight suit, I'd just make it in the shape of a male Death Watch cod so that it's just one piece to snap into the girth belt.

3) I got the blaster from the flea market for like three dollars. I'm wondering if there's anything that I should change/cut off or if it'll just be sufficient to fill in any screw holes and remove text before painting. It seems like a Star Wars gun - but I can't find a direct reference that matches.

4) Chest plates are darted. I don't know if I like the shape of them though... In two aspects - I think it and the collar plate might be too wide on me. Though when I ask my boyfriend he thinks that they're just fine. I'm also starting to just dislike the shape that I made it in... I'm wondering if it looks too clunky or boxy and if it looks off to people as much as it looks to me.

I apologize if the baggy sweater is throwing people off. I'll try and take a better picture when I can.

Sto-Las Amari

• Never stop fighting for what you believe in
  • Awards 40+ hrs Charity Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018
Re: Grant's Custom Mando
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 08:34 PM »
Wow that's  great looking template you got there  ;) (sorry I cut it a bit to wide, we definitely need to cut it down) :kiss:

Zarya Arthos

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 12:50 AM »
The blaster looks decent to me. I agree the collar seems a bit wide for you. But you're progressing well. Also curious to see how you do with the jet pack. I keep telling myself I'm going to get going on one of those myself.

Looking for mirrored visors? Click Here!

JrMint82

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 06:01 PM »
Sorry you're giving up on Sabine. I know it's super disheartening when things don't work out but you are super talented! Love your new concept. You're going to look awesome!

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 02:11 AM »
Your collar looks a little wide, but not much. I would suggest maybe taking an inch off each side, or even doing an angled cut to give you more movement room.

The blaster is either a droid blaster from epIII, or the General Gervious blaster....I think it's the latter. I've actually been looking to pick up both for myself, so nice find! It should not need much mods, just screw holes and paint. :)

Your concept looks really good to me, I'm excited to see it come to life.

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

grantaire

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 11:24 AM »
Wow that's  great looking template you got there   (sorry I cut it a bit to wide, we definitely need to cut it down)
Figuring out templates is no joke. It looked good when we shaped it - I think we were just tired.

The blaster looks decent to me. I agree the collar seems a bit wide for you. But you're progressing well. Also curious to see how you do with the jet pack. I keep telling myself I'm going to get going on one of those myself.
You totally should. The paper crafting part of it isn't too bad once you start and get into the rhythm of it. If you're into Legos or gunpla it gives the same level of satisfaction. Though I don't know about when I have to reinforce it with resin.

Sorry you're giving up on Sabine. I know it's super disheartening when things don't work out but you are super talented! Love your new concept. You're going to look awesome!
I think I'm just taking a break. I really feel conflicted about how I want to finish the costume. Buying the rest of the parts will cost me about $450+ dollars. But I've just been exhausted trying to redo the soft parts and failing a lot. I think in a month or so I'll start again.

Your collar looks a little wide, but not much. I would suggest maybe taking an inch off each side, or even doing an angled cut to give you more movement room.

The blaster is either a droid blaster from epIII, or the General Gervious blaster....I think it's the latter. I've actually been looking to pick up both for myself, so nice find! It should not need much mods, just screw holes and paint.

Your concept looks really good to me, I'm excited to see it come to life.
I trimmed the collar by a half in on both sides and it looks good! Though I forgot to take a picture!! D: What I did take a picture of was this horrifying experiment.

So I figured I would drill into my chest plate where the dart "bunches" up. And using the same drill bit, drill out the same sized holes but form it so that it will look more flush along the chest. I don't know if this will work and it seems excessive - but it's better than starting from scratch. I need to still form and attach the new sintra, but the rain hasn't been letting up all week.

In the meanwhile I've attempted to draft a pattern for my own vest using the resources on the old Female Resource thread, but with little luck. The pdf where you draft your own sloper didn't make a ton of sense to me. When I drew it out the dart started around where the vest would end? So I might just end up picking up a pattern at Walmart or Jo-Ann's after work.

Also since you're following this thread Aria I should probably mention that I eventually want to make Urban Assault in the brigades. Though of course, getting this new kit approved is my first priority.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 12:46 PM by grantaire » Logged
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 05:22 PM »
So I figured I would drill into my chest plate where the dart "bunches" up. And using the same drill bit, drill out the same sized holes but form it so that it will look more flush along the chest. I don't know if this will work and it seems excessive - but it's better than starting from scratch. I need to still form and attach the new sintra, but the rain hasn't been letting up all week.

Not horrifying at all....I'm pretty sure that the "drill a hole and fill in with another piece of sintra" is the same technique that Vhe used on her sabine build, and it worked out marvelous.

In the meanwhile I've attempted to draft a pattern for my own vest using the resources on the old Female Resource thread, but with little luck. The pdf where you draft your own sloper didn't make a ton of sense to me. When I drew it out the dart started around where the vest would end? So I might just end up picking up a pattern at Walmart or Jo-Ann's after work.

Something to keep in mind when using commercial patterns.....regardless of what "size" the pattern is supposed to be, they are almost always drafted for a B cup.  So if you are another size, you might have to tweak the pattern a bit.....I would suggest making a cheap muslin copy first.  ;D

Another option, if you don't want to mess with modding patterns, is to look for one which is advertised as having multiple cup sizes, like the Simplicity Amazing Fit patterns.  For example, while this is a dress pattern, it would probably make an excellent vest pattern if you shorten it, and as a bonus, it has 4 different cup sizes!

grantaire

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 10:31 PM »
Not horrifying at all....I'm pretty sure that the "drill a hole and fill in with another piece of sintra" is the same technique that Vhe used on her sabine build, and it worked out marvelous.
That is ACTUALLY where I got the idea from! I can't see how it's working out since the weather has been so bad to work outside.

Something to keep in mind when using commercial patterns.....regardless of what "size" the pattern is supposed to be, they are almost always drafted for a B cup.  So if you are another size, you might have to tweak the pattern a bit.....I would suggest making a cheap muslin copy first.  ;D

Another option, if you don't want to mess with modding patterns, is to look for one which is advertised as having multiple cup sizes, like the Simplicity Amazing Fit patterns.  For example, while this is a dress pattern, it would probably make an excellent vest pattern if you shorten it, and as a bonus, it has 4 different cup sizes!
That's something that I definitely have to keep in mind, thank you. I'm looking through some patterns that I hope will work for the vest. I'll probably be spending tonight finding a cutting out a pattern for the vest. Y'know the fun part of sewing! ;D

EDIT: Until then, here's a picture in a pair of scrubs I got for the flight suit (I'm sorry for the bad picture, the camera on my phone is terrible). I know I still need to sew additional long sleeves, hem the pants, and remove pockets but I was wondering if anything else needed work? Like cut the sleeves or take in the pants?

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 10:44 PM by grantaire » Logged

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 01:19 AM »
Scrubs are great for a flightsuit. They're comfy and require just a little tweaking and taking in.

As far as UA goes - do it! It's a great brigade. :)

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

grantaire

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 09:22 PM »

So I made a vest! It's made out of duck cloth using Simplicity 8074. I modified it a bit so that the zipper wasn't in the back but on the sides. I did this because it makes the costume easier to put on by myself for busy or solo troops. The only problem is that since it's not opening from the back, I need to make the collar super wide to fit my head. Ideally, I'll just be able to sew up a neck seal and solve any problems with CRLs.

Since visible zippers are not allowed I got waterproof separating zippers. Since they hide the teeth of the zipper as they zip, I hopefully won't have to install a velcro flap to hide them. The only thing that sucks is that right after I did this, my sewing machine broke...

I'm still working on the breast plates. I need to drill new circles of sintra to shape and insert into the holes that I've made. But since I have such a small work area (balcony to an apartment) I can't afford to drill while also trying to cure the resin on the body of the jetpack.

JrMint82

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 02:06 AM »
Your vest turn out awesome! What a great idea to use the waterproof separating zippers. I'm going to try that for K's new vest. Sorry your sewing machine broke 😢

grantaire

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 11:11 AM »
Your vest turn out awesome! What a great idea to use the waterproof separating zippers. I'm going to try that for K's new vest. Sorry your sewing machine broke 😢

I can't totally take the credit on the invisible zippers thing - I think it was either Kai or Laura who originally came up with the idea. Honestly, I don't know why there aren't many other Wolves that have done it.

And it's a bummer that the machine isn't turning on. Vinnie thinks he can fix it, but it probably won't be for a while. :(

Sto-Las Amari

• Awards 40+ hrs Charity Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 10:02 PM »
Rip sewing machine  :'(

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 02:44 PM »
Heavy duty sewing machine. That's all I have to say. *cough* broke 3 regular ones before buying the big grey block *cough*

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

grantaire

« Reply #14 on: Jul 21, 2017, 11:28 AM »
Hi, it's been a long time. I ended up only needing to take the sewing machine a repair place and it seems to be working fine again. Anyway, I've been just adding details to the armor. Its not exactly like the original sketch that I did. The top raised detail is in 3mm. But when it came to complex curves of the chest, I figured that it would be easier to do the small "rib" detail with 2mm.

Here is what it looks like on my vest. I didn't have a great time trying to tape it with blue tape so I just duct taped it onto myself. I'd like advice on spacing and sizing of the plates.

I'm particularly worried from the side. I think the collar might be floating too much. I was reassured by my Ruus'alor that it's fine as is, but when I look at this picture I can't help but think that it's off. I feel the same way about my back plate and my chest armor (no picture yet).

Here are just my gauntlets from my last kit. All of the extra greeblies on the gauntlet were made by Syper.

And I have my knees made from a while back. Along with a cod piece that I just made. The cod is a little uneven, but it's supposed to be Bo-Katan inspired.

Sto-Las Amari

« Reply #15 on: Jul 21, 2017, 02:19 PM »
Oh snap, that paint job is sexy!  :o

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #16 on: Jul 21, 2017, 06:16 PM »
You may find that once the shoulders are in place they'll actually hold the vest in shape a little more and the shaping isn't needed as much - however a little more shaping on the collar would be a better option. Looks like its been shaped over the shoulder but not across the body so its sticking out a little near the collar bone.

Hard to tell with the lighting and clothing but it appears from those shots like your girth belt is going to be barely clinging to your hips instead of being at your waist. If that is the case taking a tiny bit off the bottom of the chest plates and from the bottom of the ab and shifting things up should sort it.

Also liking the colours on those plates.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

grantaire

« Reply #17 on: Jul 24, 2017, 06:26 PM »
Thanks for the advice as always, Kris!

I will try and hold off until I can attach the shoulder pieces. And I'll try to find time in the week to show you what I have so far for the girthbelt so that you can see better where everything is placed. I apologize for the poor photo quality - my phone is just very cheap. 

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!