Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ca Galaar Armor planning

• 15 Replies

Ca Galaar

• Formerly 'jefferson1989'
  • Ca Galaar
Ca Galaar Armor planning
« on: May 17, 2017, 02:50 PM »
Hello Everyone,

This is my thread to work on my plans for my armor build I plan on doing.

Basic Color Scheme:

So I plan on doing a dark grey armor, with black undergarments and yellow accents with a blue visor. 

I will most more inspiration pictures soon. 

Ca Galaar

• Ca Galaar
Re: Ca Galaar Armor planning
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 03:34 PM »

I really like this.
I think Im going to try to make the same chest piece and the green will be dark grey and the yellow will be yellow with a black undergarment.
I also really like the weathering on this one and will try to do the same on my build.

Btw... for the armor....
Thoughts on pepakura with bondo and fiberglass or the plastic route?
What do you guys prefer?

JrMint82

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 06:34 PM »
I prefer pvc foam board. It's super easy to work with. Great concept by the way!

eDrake911

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 06:49 PM »
Great idea! I also prefer pvc foam board (Sintra)

Ca Galaar

• Ca Galaar
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 07:59 PM »

This is my inspiration on my helmet.
The orange markings I want to get rid of and change to the classic scanner rangefinder.  The green marking poses a question: I know the regulations call for me to have a T shapped visor so are these little spikes allowed?

Ok pvc board, where is the best place to buy/order from?

Thanks everyone!

Mavik

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 12:42 AM »
those spikes on the visor are fine. If you talk to someone in your clan they may be able to guide you to a local supplier. Typically you can get sintra from sign shops.

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 01:44 AM »
That's a Pre Vizsla S4/5 bucket, they don't have the standard rangefinders but come with two "cannons" on each earcap (which is round).

As for the visor, as long as the horizontal portion of the visor isn't thick cut like the Hasbro toy helmet and the vertical portion is mostly there (executioner style is the least amount of vertical visor allowed).

Ca Galaar

• Ca Galaar
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 09:59 PM »
Awesome thanks guys for your help!

Ca Galaar

• Ca Galaar
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 08:10 AM »
Ive been reading about 3mm vs 6mm..
For my chest piece Im thinking of using 2 3mm sheets stacked ontop of each other....

Natan Vizsla

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 09:56 AM »
You'd have to use two sheets to properly do trauma plates. I'd suggest not taking Hik'aari's plate layout as is but adapting it to something to suit you. Go to the search bar at the top of the page and look up "trauma plate" to get a feel for what others have done with the style.

It's a little out of focus but I did trauma plates as well and I based mine off of Star Wars Galaxies armor.

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 12:08 PM »
Thanks for linking me to your thread, Jeff.  I had seen a few plate ideas similar, but never thought much about it. I like that a lot.  Like, a whole lot.  Time to start researching trauma plates!

Ca Galaar

• Ca Galaar
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 03:09 PM »
Picked up my PVC sheets today, I have 48X48 to play around with :)
I got the 3mm and plan on layering it

Natan Vizsla

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 03:28 PM »
Before you do any cutting of the Sintra print out templates or make custom ones on printer paper and show us what you have planned. If there is any sizing issues better to work those out before you go to the actual armor material

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 04:09 PM »
Those tabs on the collar plate, and the notches on the upper plates--how custom can we get with modifying these before they aren't legal?  Are the plates in Jeff's example a specific style that you can emulate?

Natan Vizsla

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 04:36 PM »
As long as it seems like it is something in the era you are attempting to build. I can't say for certain since it's always a case by case basis, that's why paper templates are always a plus. Templates allow us to gauge size, shape, style, spacing, etc.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!