Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Marek's Armor Build WIP

• 49 Replies
Marek's Armor Build WIP
« on: May 19, 2017, 01:56 AM »
Greeting Vode,

This will be my 3rd revision of my armor. The first two was made of thick stock paper board (illustration boards) however during field and stress test, i realized that paper stock absorb sweat causing it to unset and break. After some heavy reading on the list of compliant materials. I found sintra very favorable because sourcing of this material is not difficult here in the Philippines. Plus, working with is not that difficult because it is easy to cut, and bend when heat is introduced. And so my new journey begins.

So again, the first step, mock up my armor on thick paper stock, trace on sintra and then cut.

Some parts of the armor need some little bends and curves. I don't have a blower here right now, or a heat gun. So i will resolve of other means of bending sintra. One the popular found on the internet was bending sintra using Boiling Water.  Fortunately, i have a Water Kettle here i could. Now to start bending the corners. 

So far so good..

Adding another layer to the plates.

« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2017, 09:07 PM by JiriadAlor Marek » Logged
Re: Marek's Armor Build WIP
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 06:17 AM »
That's all looking very good.  Your layers are put together smooth and all the curves/bevels are looking great!

Formerly known as TheRevan1te
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 08:54 AM »
That's all looking very good.  Your layers are put together smooth and all the curves/bevels are looking great!

Thanks Vod DariusBlakk.  :D

Sto-Las Amari

• Never stop fighting for what you believe in
  • Awards 40+ hrs Charity Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 10:22 AM »
Looking sick Vod! Could we see the armor attached to you with tape please  The armor looks great we just got to see if it fits LOL

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 08:27 PM »
Looking sick Vod! Could we see the armor attached to you with tape please  The armor looks great we just got to see if it fits LOL

I sort of spray painted my concept colors on the chest armor plates checking i bought the right colors ( white and green). It seems ok. Once dried, i applied some distressing and the mandalorian symbol.

Here are photos you requested vod  Sto-Las :) I needed to wait for the paint to dry before i could put some tape over.
It's kinda difficult aligning coz my tape are not that sticky.. (Lol, keeps falling off.)

« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2017, 09:36 PM by JiriadAlor Marek » Logged

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 09:26 PM »
I really like the design of the trauma plates. Very nice.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 11:09 PM »
I really like the design of the trauma plates. Very nice.

Thanks vod Natan Vizsla.  ;D

Torolf Goran

• Take what you can, give nothing back.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 11:45 PM »
Your plates look good. The spacing looks right but it looks like the chest plates need a bit trimmed off so the outside edge lines up with the outer corners of the collar and abdominal plate. It also looks like the fangs of the chest plates might need to be shaped a bit more so they don't stick out.

Bes'uliik Clan - Arkansas   OM #1545  
Brigade Member - Striker Division, Privateer / Heavy Melee
501st Diamond Garrison - TA 15450
M.M.R.S. - 001 (founder), W.B. - 003, QMU - 055, L.O.B. - 015, O.S.B.A. - 004, B.o.B.B. - 015, N.O.S. - 018

If you're new to the club and in Arkansas go here.
Official Invasions: 18
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 12:34 AM »
Your plates look good. The spacing looks right but it looks like the chest plates need a bit trimmed off so the outside edge lines up with the outer corners of the collar and abdominal plate. It also looks like the fangs of the chest plates might need to be shaped a bit more so they don't stick out.

Copy on that vod Torolf, will work on it asap..  :D

Ok.. so i've been busy today contemplating on my chest plates, how to fix my issues on outside edge alignment..
I didn't want to trim off the chest plates so i built another set of collar and abdominal plates. Made them a little bigger. So what do you think vode? :)

« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2017, 11:39 PM by JiriadAlor Marek » Logged
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 05:52 PM »
I have never been able to trim foamcore as well as you

Briks

• War Wolf
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 05:57 PM »
Awesome job! Know it's a little late but I too used the boiled water technique. If you get one of those large disposable hardened tin-foil lasagna pans you can place larger items like a back plate for instance in it, pour the water in from the hot water maker and then you've got a couple minutes to bend it into shape before the water cools down (just gotta wear protective gloves when you reach into the boil in water.

MMCC Member: # 1195

When I'm finished...You're gonna be glad no one was here to watch you DIE.

My Original Armor  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=85524.0

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 08:26 PM »
I have never been able to trim foamcore as well as you

Well in my previous works cutting wasn't my deal.. constant practice i guess.. Lol.. Thanks vod. :)

Awesome job! Know it's a little late but I too used the boiled water technique. If you get one of those large disposable hardened tin-foil lasagna pans you can place larger items like a back plate for instance in it, pour the water in from the hot water maker and then you've got a couple minutes to bend it into shape before the water cools down (just gotta wear protective gloves when you reach into the boil in water.

Great idea! i will try that on my next pieces.. thanks for the tip vod Briks.  :D

Working on the shoulder plates.. actually i wanted something bigger than the usual shoulder plates, so after research i finally decided that i want "pauldrons" for this build.

Test fitting before i add details :)

« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2017, 11:14 PM by JiriadAlor Marek » Logged

Carnorjax

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 2016 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 05:34 PM »
Your chest plates look much better after triming. I like where you are going with the colors too please keep updating.

Drang Qos
(pronounced in basic as Rock-ee)

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 09:28 PM »
Your chest plates look much better after triming. I like where you are going with the colors too please keep updating.

Thanks Vod... will do. :)

Adding details to the pauldrons...

So found these glue sticks cannister good for some aesthetics for my left pauldron. Their bullet shell appearance just gave me an idea...

A few works on some straps and d-rings, and viola!

Now to attach it to the pauldron..

« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2017, 11:50 PM by JiriadAlor Marek » Logged

JrMint82

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 06:44 PM »
Awesome job! I love the way the pauldrons are turning out.

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 09:06 PM »
Awesome job! I love the way the pauldrons are turning out.

Thanks Vod.. :)

Now working on the Thigh Armor Plates.. i created a thigh armor plate (for the right) with a secret compartment where i can keep some important stuffs used for emergency repair, cyno glue, scissors, small screwdrivers, etc..

I used magnets to lock the secret compartment..

Emergency stuffs i can use during events.

Done adding details on the Thigh Plates.

Started my work on the Knee Guard. I made sure i had to make it thicker, because some of the poses i do, or in most cases i kneel down. Three layers of plate i guess is thick and sturdy enough to withstand.

« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2017, 10:21 PM by JiriadAlor Marek » Logged
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2017, 09:06 PM »
Love this thread Marek... so much inspiration.  Well done.  Are your thighs and knees all done with 6mm Sintra or is it 3mm?

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 12:29 AM »
Love this thread Marek... so much inspiration.  Well done.  Are your thighs and knees all done with 6mm Sintra or is it 3mm?

Thanks Vod. It's all 3mm. We only have 1.5mm and 3mm Sintra here, commercially that is. :)

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2017, 05:13 AM »
Have templates avalible for your knees?

Arkham

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2017, 07:59 AM »
This build is looking great! I can't wait to see where it goes next.

Arkham's WIP

Tra'cor Clan // G.O.M.O.L # 032 // M.V.S #68 // O.O.P.S.! #52 // L.O.B #49
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2017, 09:07 AM »
Have templates avalible for your knees?

Sorry Vod, unfortunately i don't.. i had them scratch-built.  :(

This build is looking great! I can't wait to see where it goes next.

Thanks Vod.. working on it now.  ;)

Normally, there's only the vambraces.. Today i decided i wanted and armor covering the upper arm portion.

Heat it up with boiling water.. so i can bend.

Most mandalorians carry a flamethrower on their vambraces. These flamethrowers would look more realistic if there is a fuel hose attached to it. I wanted to conceptualize a fuel hose or fuel source that is integrated to the armor. But of course I would still need a fuel tank on my backplate or somewhere. But from i would start working on the arm part.. 

Connected some conduit hoses used for motorcycle wirings.

I made the base to rotate along when my forearm moves.

« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2017, 10:48 PM by JiriadAlor Marek » Logged
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 11:03 PM »
Those are some great details vod.
My knowledge of sintra is just the basics.

Keep it up

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #22 on: Jun 01, 2017, 12:44 AM »
OOOH MAN, such detail! You're doing some amazing work, and there's nothing that I love more than well-executed layers. Such great quality!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.
« Reply #23 on: Jun 01, 2017, 02:25 AM »
Those are some great details vod.
My knowledge of sintra is just the basics.

Keep it up

For sure you will learn to move basic to Awesome!
Thanks Vod!

OOOH MAN, such detail! You're doing some amazing work, and there's nothing that I love more than well-executed layers. Such great quality!

Thanks Vod Kol! I get my inspiration here inside MMCC, you guys are all awesome. I'll continue Working on my best here. 

« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2017, 11:19 PM by Drek'ar Ventress » Logged
« Reply #24 on: Jun 01, 2017, 02:48 AM »
Quick question:  What glue do you use for all your sintra bonding?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!