Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Soft Parts WIP for Kaylin

• 18 Replies

KaylinSilverfurr

• OM #1899 / Cabur Akaata #119 / M.L.C.S. #42
Re: Soft Parts WIP for Kaylin
« Reply #15 on: Jun 07, 2017, 06:56 PM »
Most of us at one point or another have vest issues. I went through two before I finally got one done that fit properly and was still easy to get in and out of with armor snapped to it. I'm glad to see you not giving in and defeating the vest monster!

Armor weapons and accessories will be cakewalk for you after this!  And great thread for new folk for certain! Hell I learned a few things by visiting this... :)

Thank dude. Not sure what you've learned in terms of costuming aside from listening to me screech like a banshee in frustration at that stupid vest. Still, I'm glad things have worked out as they have.

Next up, Sam Browne belt and long sleeves!

~Kaylin

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #16 on: Jun 09, 2017, 02:08 PM »
Howdy folks...

When we last left our fearless Mando, I'd just finished working on the vest, and was about to start the cape, belts and other shenanigans.

**Warning: This post will probably be picture heavy.**

Here's my soft belt in progress. I deliberately left the edges unheeded at the top and bottom should I could fray them with a sandpaper block or against some concrete. Makes a HUGE mess though. Stupid corduroy. I forgot to get other shots of the belt in progress sadly. The good thing about this belt as I can easily switch the tabs and buttons to the back if they're not allowed in the front. I like how they look in the front, but if they're not regs, then no big deal.

For weathering, I wanted to try tea staining to see how it would turn out. Completely forgetting my colour theory from art class, I did not realize that the tea stain would not make the fabric look THAT old and dingy (because brown and purple semi-neutralize one another). I want to retain some of that lovely heather purple, so I figure I might only be doing tea staining around the frayed edges. This was after only 20 minutes on test fabric with 4 tea bags and boiling water. I may cut it back to three tea bags in a bathtub of really hot tap water.

This is the ONLY shot of my in-progress Sam Browne belt I got sadly. Leatherworking and riveting is sort of a two handed job.

The completed Sam Browne belt on my dress form with the other soft belt.

Now I know what you're thinking....
"Vod! That belt needs some POUCHES!"

I'm already on it.

Stoned oil side in black, with pattern already made. I prefer stoned oil leather because it has that slight look of distress already, and the more you work with it, the more weathered it starts to look. Its also thin enough that I can push two layers of it through my Kenmore sewing machine and a simple leather needle.

Ta-da! One belt pouch made. I snap closed them, and they're big enough to fit my phone, as well as an assortment of other odds and ends. I will be lacing over the edges with some black artificial sinew (nylon) to reinforce the edges as well as add some visual element to the bag beyond the snap.

Here's what two looks like. I'm making a third, and hopefully that'll be enough. I also have to make a holder for my side-arm, which will go on the same side as where the Sam Browne belt connects.... because that's what the strap is for, actually. Is re-distributing the weight of a sabre/ sword.

So next up will be making long sleeves to go under my scrub top, and then getting dressed in my soft kit to get photos for my clan Ruus'alor. Once I get the OK from him.... WEATHERING! which I'm so very excited for.

~Kaylin

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #17 on: Jun 18, 2017, 11:16 AM »
Howdy folks!

Huzzah! Ruus'alor approves of the soft parts! I get to move onto weathering! I may pick up a cutting wheel later today to help with some of the un-ever tattering for the cloak edges, because using my tailoring shears is murder on my hands and wrists. Then to tea staining, crispifying the edges, paint additions, dust, eyeshadows.....

Can I say how excited I am to effectively abuse all the hard work I've done on my cloth and leather bits until now? There's going to be a level of satisfaction of roughing up my vest, given the problems I had with it. ;)

I've also traced out my plates onto some card stock and will be taping them for placement before transferring them to the Sintra.

~Kaylin

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #18 on: Jun 20, 2017, 04:37 PM »
IT HAS BEGUN!

Weathering that is.

I've been having so much fun trying to find creative ways to age, weather, beat down and make my stuff look really manly and grimy. I took some Leather dye in USMC black and mixed it with water into a spray bottle, and got the edges and stuff of my purple gear, as well as tea stained in places. I tore up my cloak a little more around the edges, set things on fire, rubbed it around my work shop space....

From the first pass and letting it dry....

Second pass, while still wet.

Close up of some of the fire damage....

Fire damage...something I enjoyed doing WAY too much.

I've also been working on my vest and scrubs as well, getting some eyeshadow into the crevices, using sandpaper blocks to weather along seams and such. :) Lots of fun! I should be able to start my plate placements soon! Yay!

~Kaylin

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!