Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Helmet Wip/Slush Casting

• 8 Replies
First Helmet Wip/Slush Casting
« on: May 22, 2017, 12:47 PM »
The base is unsanded so far and has just been sculpted out of airdry clay. I will be sanding it once it's dry/adding more clay as it cracks (because it'll crack as it dries) some cracks I'll keep for weathering depending on where they are, but to ensure the integrity of the helmet itself I will be filling most of them. (also this will cast a little larger than the clay model. and I have a really small head so don't worry too much about the size)

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: First Helmet Wip/Slush Casting
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 02:53 PM »
What era are you going for Vod?

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 03:04 PM »
What era are you going for Vod?
Uh oh does it look too old republic?? I'm trying to go modern but I have so much old republic stuck in my head it's a hard default.

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 06:21 PM »
Uh oh does it look too old republic?? I'm trying to go modern but I have so much old republic stuck in my head it's a hard default.
It's looking very crusader era with Modern elements. I'd change it he visor across the horizontal and narrow it so that it's more modern than the current design. I'll ping the rest of the app team to get you more feedback.

QMU#084
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 07:05 PM »
It's looking very crusader era with Modern elements. I'd change it he visor across the horizontal and narrow it so that it's more modern than the current design. I'll ping the rest of the app team to get you more feedback.

Does this look better visor wise??

Bowfanny

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 08:58 PM »
It does look better.

QMU#084

Gel'ren Drask

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 09:22 PM »
To Bowfanny, listen you should.  He's built a lot of helmets from scratch and knows his stuff.

Gel'ren "Mercelangelo" Drask Firestorm Clan
E.M.T.S #40
B.E.A.R.D.S #23

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 12:52 AM »
It looks a bit more "modern" but right now I would class this bucket in the Crusader era maybe even the Early Crusader era given it's more organic look overall.

The clear T is a major hallmark of the modern era when you get into the more Y shaped visors you are drifting hard into Crusader couple that with the slope of the brow ridge and it really lands firmly in the Crusader era.

The modern era buckets are very smooth and have very clean lines, and really even when you get into some of the more "out" there buckets they stay pretty true to form. If you are aiming for a modern era bucket then you will need to bring the T down, create a straight "line" brow ridge.

Now with all that being said what you have currently made is a very cool Crusader era bucket so you could always lead into that and just embrace that fact the Crusader era is a pretty cool place to me by all accounts. But for this to be a modern era bucket you have some ways to go. I would suggest looking at some of the other more "wild" modern era buckets to get some ideas as to where the line is.

There are some good examples that may prove helpful in this thread- http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=109722.0. Just make sure you double check the era :D

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 08:48 PM »
It looks a bit more "modern" but right now I would class this bucket in the Crusader era maybe even the Early Crusader era given it's more organic look overall.

The clear T is a major hallmark of the modern era when you get into the more Y shaped visors you are drifting hard into Crusader couple that with the slope of the brow ridge and it really lands firmly in the Crusader era.

The modern era buckets are very smooth and have very clean lines, and really even when you get into some of the more "out" there buckets they stay pretty true to form. If you are aiming for a modern era bucket then you will need to bring the T down, create a straight "line" brow ridge.

Now with all that being said what you have currently made is a very cool Crusader era bucket so you could always lead into that and just embrace that fact the Crusader era is a pretty cool place to me by all accounts. But for this to be a modern era bucket you have some ways to go. I would suggest looking at some of the other more "wild" modern era buckets to get some ideas as to where the line is.

There are some good examples that may prove helpful in this thread- http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=109722.0. Just make sure you double check the era :D

Thank you so much for your help! I think I will salvage the clay I used and try the paper route. You have provided me with some very good jumping off points. I love the Crusader era the most (which is probably why I accidentally defaulted to it.) However it isn't what I'm going for. I appreciate your input a lot and I thank you again for the resources you've provided.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!