Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP my first personal assassin armor

• 9 Replies

Marky

WIP my first personal assassin armor
« on: Jun 02, 2017, 04:46 PM »
I'v just started to cut a PVC for make my armor on this day...

I'v used a 3mm PVC but i think is very too lighter...

Probably I put together 2 layer of 3mm PVC for every part of my armor, is a good idea for you?

In a few day I ting to form a PVC parts and show it on my body for mind a right misure and placement!

Re: WIP my first personal assassin armor
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2017, 01:56 AM »
I think the 3mm thickness is good on its own, that seems to be what a lot of people use, if not thinner

Hik'aari Kelborn

• Nickaari
  • Awards Shock Infantry Brigade Member TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Weapons Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2017, 04:23 AM »
A lot of the people in my area use 6mm as their base thickness.

Much of my armor is actually "trauma plated" so is 12mm across the chest of my custom kit.
My canon kit used 6mm directly. This is however Foamex/Sintra so I do not know how much additional weight and complexity would be added in PVC doing this.

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Marky

« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2017, 03:59 PM »
I've finished to cut al parts, except the gauntlets, I think to open another WIP's post, only for a gauntlets, in a second time...

I've cut all the parts in double copy for make a double layer (3mm + 3mm for make enough often), For put together the layer i think to use a Loctite glue.

Is good in your opinion or is better another one glue (more appropriate for a PVC materials) like a bi-components or vulcanizing glue?

« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2017, 07:36 PM by Marky » Logged

Boxception

• Cel'exa Klina'shel OM #1861
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2017, 04:36 PM »
Hey vod,

I went with 6mm, i tried 3mm first but like you felt it was too light.... good luck man it is a pain to mold. I know from experience

PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW       Cel'exa Klina'shel OM #1861
MY WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=135464.msg1752482#msg1752482

Hik'aari Kelborn

• Nickaari
  • Awards Shock Infantry Brigade Member TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Weapons Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2017, 02:26 AM »
For your second layer did you cut them to the same size or slightly larger? When you heatshape them the second layer generally needs to be wider and longer than the base by the thickness of the material, as when you heatshape the second layer will appear smaller (as it is being shaped over a slightly larger curve compared to the base layer)

For gluing together the layers you want to be using a PVC cement. It is easy to get hold of from building supply places and truly is the correct thing to be using.

Marky

« Reply #6 on: Jun 05, 2017, 01:48 PM »
For your second layer did you cut them to the same size or slightly larger? When you heatshape them the second layer generally needs to be wider and longer than the base by the thickness of the material, as when you heatshape the second layer will appear smaller (as it is being shaped over a slightly larger curve compared to the base layer)

For gluing together the layers you want to be using a PVC cement. It is easy to get hold of from building supply places and truly is the correct thing to be using.

Yes, I already imagined that a layer would be of apparently different size from the other, then I will be able to mill them the same size once bent and glued together!

Thanks for the suggestion about PVC cement, I will try to find it in the next few days.  ;)

Hik'aari Kelborn

• Nickaari
« Reply #7 on: Jun 05, 2017, 01:50 PM »
Yes, I already imagined that a layer would be of apparently different size from the other, then I will be able to mill them the same size once bent and glued together!

Perfect, that was going to be my next point on the presumption that you had cut them larger.
Means you can square up the various layers once they are shaped and cemented

Marky

« Reply #8 on: Jun 24, 2017, 02:21 PM »
New step for my armor, i've make a dima with light wood...

...and I bent a knees armor parts

And a shoulders (the right a bit bigger than the left)

Now I need to put togheter 2 layer for make more thickness!

« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2017, 03:15 PM by Marky » Logged

mk cln

• Awards Boba and Jango
« Reply #9 on: Jul 03, 2017, 06:44 AM »
nice start! i'll follow that wip

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!