Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Flightsuit pattern?

• 2 Replies
Flightsuit pattern?
« on: Jun 08, 2017, 10:16 PM »
What do you guys think of McCall's M7554 for a flightsuit pattern?  Either all in one color, or maybe a two-tone black and brown?  (With the stirrup leggings of course, not the shorts!)

Not at all sure my sewing skills are up to par, but could it work, with the top tucked in and appropriate belting items hiding the top/pants transition?  I greatly favor the close-fitting stretchy fabric appeal, over the woven fabric type flight suit.

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Flightsuit pattern?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 09, 2017, 01:01 AM »
As far as I know that pattern should work fine since stretchy flightsuits are allowed for women, just make sure that all of the colours match up on the top and bottom.  Yep, you have to make sure it stays tucked in and hide that area with the belts, that's super easy to do though and shouldn't cause any problems.  My flightsuit is also two pieces, but you'd never be able to tell cause the girth belt is pretty wide and hides everything quite nicely.  You might find it handy to attach some snaps or velcro the shirt and pants to make sure that everything stays tucked nicely, mine comes untucked now and then from posing for pictures and it can be annoying to fix it when there's a million other outfit details going on :P

As for sewing skills, that pattern does use more pieces so it *may* be a little trickier to put together (it's hard to tell for sure without seeing the real thing though).  There's lots of alternative patterns out there for simple stretchy tops and bottoms that have less seaming and are easier to put together.  In the end though you should go for the pattern that you like the best, that's what's important! 

I just noticed that this pattern is rated 3/4 difficulty, the following from the website gives a pretty good idea of what to expect:
AVERAGE
These patterns are perfect if you have more time to sew, and more experience sewing. Look for challenging designer techniques, tailoring, unique construction details. Expect more fitting and inner construction. Find more variety in fabrics from the stretchiest knits to synthetic leathers and suedes.

Good luck!

Instagram: @evaarla_kal

KaylinSilverfurr

• OM #1899 / Cabur Akaata #119 / M.L.C.S. #42
Re: Flightsuit pattern?
« Reply #2 on: Jun 09, 2017, 09:59 AM »
Howdy!

I've worked with another one of Yaya Han's bodysuit patterns before, and yes, there are A LOT of pieces to the pattern. Sometimes the directions seem overly complicated as well, so give yourself adequate time to read through the instructions. Be sure to pick up extra fabric just in case. I went through my good fabric at least twice trying to figure out this jigsaw puzzle before I finally got it right, and I like to think I'm an adequate seamstress.

~Kaylin

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!