Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Armour build WIP for Kaylin (Complete)

• 69 Replies

KaylinSilverfurr

• OM #1899 / Cabur Akaata #119 / M.L.C.S. #42
Re: Armor build WIP for Kaylin
« Reply #15 on: Jul 16, 2017, 06:28 PM »
You can definitely do a short kama/loin cloth combination :) however, just make sure there's a little separation between the two, it can't really look too much like a skirt.

That one you have is beautiful but looks a bit Celtic in design so I'm not sure if it would entirely work for a mando.

I like how you did the chest armor, looks nice like that too!

Thank you for letting me know, and yes, I'd adjust the sides to make sure there was separation between the two.

Also...

I have absolutely no intention of adding the knot work to one that I'd make for my Mando, for two reasons: 1. Its not futuristic enough for my liking, and 2. It seriously is a pain in the rear end to free-hand THAT much knot work onto leather. I guess I wasn't clear when I posted that in my previous post. I was only using what I had made previously as an example of the kama/loincloth out of leather in that style, minus the gold designs.

Knot work is definitely not something I want for my kit, though I know one OM does have knot work design on his; around the eye visors of the bucket I believe. Not sure if he's still a member or if he's retired though. :) Was a green and orange colour scheme from what I remember, with copper or bronze coloured plates I think? Since Photobucket did their "No 3rd party hosting", its been hard to browse through examples or particular designs I might like. I know that one caught my eye though, if only because of the Celtic feel.

I like the sash belt on your kit, for example, and wanted to incorporate something similar, but its just not working out as I'd hoped. It goes fantastic with your stuff though. :) I think with a shorter kama/loincloth design with the necessary adjustments that you've suggested should work. :) I also like your colour choice, but that's a topic for another day.

For now, Off to make my mando kilt! :P

~Kaylin

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
Re: Armor build WIP for Kaylin
« Reply #16 on: Jul 17, 2017, 12:14 PM »
Ah sorry for my misunderstanding then.

Can't wait to see more from you :)

KaylinSilverfurr

Re: Armour build WIP for Kaylin
« Reply #17 on: Jul 19, 2017, 01:19 AM »
Okie dokie,

I cranked out a short kama/loincloth mix, though there still need to be some more design on it.

I'm happy so far with it, though like I said, I need to add some designs to it.

~Kaylin

trashcanmando

• This is all Karen Traviss' fault. OM #1882
« Reply #18 on: Jul 19, 2017, 09:31 AM »
Oooh, very nice!

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #19 on: Jul 22, 2017, 11:25 PM »
Howdy folks!

I've done a bit more work since this time, and have started hammering in the rivets for my leather kama/loin-cloth.

I wanted to do a bit of testing with the spray paint on oil stone, just to make sure that it would indeed stay on the leather I was using. I've also stated remaking my bags as well, since my other half made a set for another local mando, and I really liked the way those turned out.

With all the purple parts in place, excluding the asymmetrical stripe down one side. I'll be adding some grey designs as well, just to help separate the black and the purple.

Thin armour thickness leather, dyed with USMC Black leather dye, and the spray paint that I'll be using on my plates.

I've done a bit more work on my plates, mostly the shoulders and the chest pieces. I do have some final adjustments to make to them for sure before I start priming.

And just to get a side view of the leather kama/loincloth, minus my Sam Browne belt.

Once I get everything together again I'll get some more progress shots up. :)

~Kaylin

« Reply #20 on: Jul 22, 2017, 11:47 PM »
This is pretty awesome can't wait to see more!

Kryamla Redalur

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #21 on: Jul 24, 2017, 04:16 PM »
Wow beautiful work!

Ashen Kelborn

• Awards 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #22 on: Jul 24, 2017, 04:19 PM »
Commenting to follow, loving the work so far, very cool 8)

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #23 on: Jul 25, 2017, 05:10 PM »
Thanks for the follows and comments! I'm glad people are liking my progress stuff. :)

So I got slightly impatient in waiting for the Freeform Air on my chest plate to dry, and started working on learning some weathering techniques by using my knee plates.

The base is Dark Steel from Rustoleum brand Metallics, the black is Satin Black from Painter's Choice 2X Coverage Rustoleum brand, and the purple is the Molotov artist spray paint in Plum. I used a combination of masking fluid, tooth paste and rock salt.

The same, from another angle.

The trauma plate on top of the knees was then painted with FolkArt brand Acrylic in Ash after I'd taped off segments to make sure the paint didn't get anywhere I didn't want it.

Once the "Ash" colour was set, I added Americana Acrylic in Pewter for the stripes. I may still have yet to adjust one of them, but I can do that with painter's tape and toothpaste. I'm actually finding I like using toothpaste as opposed to the masking fluid. I'm also thinking that how many layers of colour will also affect your paint job too. The metallic is four coats, while the black is only one, and the Plum is two.

So just to get an idea of what thinks would look like with the bucket...and....guys....I think the bucket is too big. But I suppose I'd need to get a shot of it while its on me...but I think it might be a touch too big.

So, checking placements again, even more so with my new leather loin/kama deal. The plates are not too bad, and I have since trimmed my Ab plate since this photo.... more on that in a bit.

I trimmed the edges of my chest plates on the outside so that they would finally sit properly (and they do now). But I've since run into an issue....which has to do with my Ab plate.

Where I've circled obviously is the issue. I have a significant gap at the edges that you can see. The tips at the bottom of the chest plates are as far in as they can go. I'm not sure if I should trim off the top to help form on the lines as they should, or if I should try and build up at the edges where the circles are. I can re-add sintra to those edges and then smooth out the breaks with bondo/ Freeform air, or just use FreeForm Air and sand down the edges to where I want them.

I'll look at giving myself a break from it for now so that I can work on getting my gauntlets and greaves done, leaving only my back-plate left.

~Kaylin

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #24 on: Jul 26, 2017, 12:29 AM »
If you look at normal Jango/boba plates, there is usually a bit larger gap in the areas you have circled. This is necessary to allow for even what little mobility we do have. I don't see that gap being a problem on your kit.

You've truly beautiful work, and look forward to seeing more.

Pressure makes gems. Ease makes decay

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #25 on: Jul 26, 2017, 10:39 AM »
I agree with malakier, I don't think those gaps are too big and I think it goes well with the kit.

Rin V'khari

• #allthefilth
« Reply #26 on: Jul 26, 2017, 02:28 PM »
Wow!  Looking great.  Following!

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #27 on: Jul 27, 2017, 12:39 AM »
Hi folks!

Malakier, Kryamla and Rin; Thanks for the feed back guys. I did end up trimming my plate just a touch to get things to visually look a little more fluid, but I think I can still maintain my movement. If needed, I do have extra sintra I can use to remake my ab plate, and it won't take that long to re-fit.

This is what it looks like now, in comparison to before. I will fully admit I have a bit of a perfectionist streak, and I'm trying to be perhaps a little too precise when it comes to my plates before I begin to add the paint job. The exception to that of course was my knee plates. :P I still have to adjust that one knee plate though. The off stripe is bothering me.

~Kaylin

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #28 on: Jul 27, 2017, 11:05 AM »
I think that does look better! Nothing wrong with being a perfectionist; your kit already reflects that. Keep up the good work :)

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #29 on: Aug 01, 2017, 06:18 PM »
Thanks Kryamla!

Alright, more updates. I finally got my snaps on for my front plates, and will be continuing to add snaps to the remaining plates.

But first...
Trauma plates for my chest and ab plates.

Less fighting with these ones as there was with my neck plate, but I was smarter in how I went about getting them on in the first place. Bits and peaches at a time, and gentle heating to make 'em curve to what was already there, but not loose the dome shape on the cups.

Snappy! Hehe!
Standard snaps with two layers of Wonderflex (because the mesh will give the extra stability) and then crazy glued down. These sucks are going NO WHERE fast.

In the process of getting my plates snapped on. Pardon the dirty mirror in my Alor'ad's workshop, and yes, that is a scrub cap I'm using to work with. Keeps the sweat out of my eyes, and the sintra dust out of my hair. I may actually look at making one/ getting one for my kit though, but in black or grey.

Everything attached with snaps! I like the placement of everything, though I may try and add some fusible interfacing to the back of the snaps just to give them a little more stability when pulling the plates off and on. If necessary, I can trim the chest plates at the bottom to line up with my Ab plate if that's necessary for CL's.

From the side. I really am liking the way the Sam Browne belt works with this, even more so once I got the leather loin/kama fixed into position.

Now I will be working on my gauntlets, and I have a few greeblies that will make for interesting effects! :D I can't wait!

~Kaylin

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!