Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Armour build WIP for Kaylin (Complete)

• 69 Replies

KaylinSilverfurr

• OM #1899 / Cabur Akaata #119 / M.L.C.S. #42
Re: Armour build WIP for Kaylin
« Reply #30 on: Aug 14, 2017, 12:37 AM »
Hello folks!

I have indeed been getting more work done on my kit.

At a local clan party, I was able to get some help with my back plate. I do still have to shape it a little more, but otherwise, I'm happy with where things are going. I've started the priming process, and have a few plates with metallic spray paint. My bucket has also started to get some paint as well, in that I have the metallic coats on it. I may have to pick up a new can of the dark steel so I can make sure all my plates get an even coat, but we will see. I've got at least two coats thus far on my Ab, chest, neck and arm plates. I'm pretty sure my gauntlets are good to go for priming as well.

No photos this time sadly, but I will upload some for you all soon.

~Kaylin

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #31 on: Aug 16, 2017, 07:06 PM »
Howdy Vod'a,

I swear I've been working on my kit.
Back plate is finished, after some help from the Alo'rad.

I did have to do some minor adjustments once I got home, and I've attached velcro to the back plates in order to facilitate the ease of getting the plate off and one when I get into my vest.

and now...

Just waiting for the paint to dry.

~Kaylin

Boxception

• Cel'exa Klina'shel OM #1861
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #32 on: Aug 17, 2017, 12:17 AM »
Kaylin, you do incredible work. I've been following your kit closely. Just wanted to say keep up the great work. I'm impressed. It will be a honor to troop with you. Now.... get back to work!  :P

PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW       Cel'exa Klina'shel OM #1861
MY WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=135464.msg1752482#msg1752482

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #33 on: Aug 18, 2017, 01:17 AM »
Kaylin, you do incredible work. I've been following your kit closely. Just wanted to say keep up the great work. I'm impressed. It will be a honor to troop with you. Now.... get back to work!  :P

Thanks Vod! That's a mighty high compliment. :)

I started adding some masking fluid to start the weathering process. Tomorrow, I will be adding the black spray paint, waiting for it to dry, then adding toothpaste and rock salt.....then the purple colour.

~Kaylin

trashcanmando

• This is all Karen Traviss' fault. OM #1882
« Reply #34 on: Aug 20, 2017, 12:12 PM »
Looking fantastic, this kit is going to be absolutely stunning!

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #35 on: Aug 20, 2017, 11:59 PM »
Howdy Vod'e,

Doing some steady work on my gear. I've begun the weathering/ colour painting, so things are starting to get interesting.

Toothpaste after having applied a layer of satin black spray paint. Its gone over top of the masking fluid, and then I've applied a mix of water and rock salt.

Rock salt, purple and toothpaste.

Close up so you can see the difference in colour, and the weathering that's begun.

One of my arm plates. I accidentally dropped it when I was bringing it inside and lost some of the rock salt. I love the way the salt chipping loots as it is, but when the toothpaste and the masking tape are pulled off, this is going to look EPIC.

My gauntlets with their layer of black. I had to finish smoothing them off and letting the silver dry, then the masking fluid. Next up will be the toothpaste and rock salt., then the purple.

Its my bucket kids! Starting work on it!

~Kaylin

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #36 on: Aug 21, 2017, 09:00 AM »
Looking good. One tip I'll share for the Legacy backplate is to sand the edges where the plates overlap back down to the silver to give it the impression that your plates have been rubbing against each other and have worn down the paint where they overlap. Kad'la Krast showed me the technique yesterday, and I have to admit it looks amazing. If you'd like, I can take a couple of shots of my plates and post them up for a visual.

Regardless, I love the way this kit is turning out. Keep up the great work, vod.

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #37 on: Aug 21, 2017, 04:10 PM »
Looking good. One tip I'll share for the Legacy backplate is to sand the edges where the plates overlap back down to the silver to give it the impression that your plates have been rubbing against each other and have worn down the paint where they overlap. Kad'la Krast showed me the technique yesterday, and I have to admit it looks amazing. If you'd like, I can take a couple of shots of my plates and post them up for a visual.

Regardless, I love the way this kit is turning out. Keep up the great work, vod.

Ohhh! Yes please! I was sure to do the edges and what not, and tried to get areas where I knew the plates would rub together. If push comes to shove, I can always re-paint the back plate, or sand it down to the silver. ;) But yes, reference photos would be amazing, thank you.

~Kaylin

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #38 on: Aug 21, 2017, 05:55 PM »
Here you go. Please let me know if you'd like more photos.

Close-up:

View with the plates layered properly:

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #39 on: Aug 21, 2017, 08:24 PM »
Thank you Fenris! That looks amazing BTW. I think I can dry-brush some of the scrapes in with the silver spray paint I'm using. Just have to spray it onto something first. :)
It wasn't my intention to go "Legacy" era in the first place. I just segmented my backplate to make it easier to shape. Happy coincidence then.

~Kaylin

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #40 on: Aug 22, 2017, 01:11 AM »
Was working back and forth today on several mando related projects.

I wanted to get my grey airbrushed on, but the air brush I bought (Cheap set from Michael's) didn't work. Like, at all. Just splattered and sprayed paint everywhere. Thank goodness for test pieces.

Was working on my front plates, taping off areas before I paint with the dark grey. I wanted to do a coffin shape on the front, but opted not to. Hopefully this sort of pattern looks cool instead.

Shoulder/arm bells. I'd worked off some of the weathering detail, and taped off where I'm going to paint.

Speaking of paint:
I have some left over Golden brand Micaceous Iron Oxide from another cosplay. It feels very gritty when used on a flat surface. Am I able to use this to add detail and texture to plates? Like space dust or shaving from taking a hit with a vibrosaw? Just a light dusting here and there...maybe along edges where weathering isn't quite as apparent?

~Kaylin

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #41 on: Aug 23, 2017, 02:22 PM »
Slow and steady wins the race....

I've been doing some work on my paint job over the last 48 hours.

Thigh plates. Haven't decided a design for them yet, but things are starting to come together.

One of my arm plates. There's something really satisfying about running your plates under water to get the salt and toothpaste off, and rubbing it gently to reveal the most awesome of battle damage.

Two of my arm plates post wash.

Taping and painting. The ash grey first and then the pewter.

More taping....more painting. I had actually changed my tape job before I got to this one, and I think I like it much better than before.

Yes, that is my back plate and the shoulder plate in the dish rack.

Completed paint job, just before getting off the last of the toothpaste and what not.

Shoulder/arm bell just after getting the last of the toothpaste off and touching up the paint job. Because the acrylic washes away WAY too easily, I'm thinking of using a workable fixative on it to maintain some of the colour.

~Kaylin

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #42 on: Aug 23, 2017, 02:39 PM »
Looking great vod!

For keeping their acrylic from washing off, I've seen people use matte or semi-gloss clear coat spray paint to good effect. Both on soft parts and plates. I've never tried it myself, but it might be something to try

Pressure makes gems. Ease makes decay

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #43 on: Aug 23, 2017, 06:38 PM »
Thanks for the tip Malakier! I've got some spray kamar varnish for when I'm working with watercolour on memory boxes, so I'll try that.

In the mean time...and bit more painting work has been done.

My back plate. I still need to add some silver at the edges where the plates would move together, but on the whole, I'm actually really happy with the pattern on it.

Most of my plates, minus the large over the shoulder plate for the upper body. Cloak snaps on on the back plate right at the corners, the daggers hand on the left hand side, and my other set of arm bells will be finished drying by the end of the night.

~Kaylin

« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2017, 08:14 PM by KaylinSilverfurr » Logged

Ashen Kelborn

• Awards 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #44 on: Aug 23, 2017, 08:06 PM »
Looking very cool.
Very bad shebs  8)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!