Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Armour build WIP for Kaylin (Complete)

• 69 Replies

KaylinSilverfurr

• OM #1899 / Cabur Akaata #119 / M.L.C.S. #42
Re: Armour build WIP for Kaylin
« Reply #60 on: Aug 28, 2017, 04:02 PM »
This is a lovely looking kit vod, really like your paint!!

8)

Dee

Thanks Dee! Still getting some work done today on my kit, so I'll have photos later to show for my efforts. I found some "raptor claws" from....something....not sure as I found it amongst a bunch of LARP gear we no longer use as I figured I could use it for trophies.

Still on the look out for more things I can use as Trophies though.

~Kaylin

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #61 on: Aug 28, 2017, 11:50 PM »
Oya Vode!

I've done a little bit more work today in an attempt to get the final push done and get my kit finished. I'm SO CLOSE. I can literally see the end.

Bucket after preliminary paint job. The tape was a bit of a paint in the rear end, but I managed to get it settled. With that said....

I managed to find some "raptor talons" today that were mixed in with a bunch of LARP gear I'd used previously. I two-part epoxy glued them onto both my large shoulder plate, and onto my bucket (more on that later). I also ended up giving them a paint job because they were too yellow for my liking. And the fleshy bit at the bottom I ended up turning it black.

Pre-weathering/ black-wash. I added some Mando'a script to my bucket (basically my Mandalorian name, Mirdala Kyr'am which means 'Clever Death') which ended up fading slightly in the black-wash.

Post Black-wash.

Added some brown paint for smudges of dirt. I still want to add some of the Golden Micaceous Iron Oxide to my gear for that added touch of texture to the plates.

Left gauntlet.

Next I glued down my hinges on the insides of both my gauntlets. I will need to adjust them with an application of heat to pull them out a touch. They're a little tight around the wrist with the gloves.

Left and right gauntlet once the glue had dried and I was able to add the brown dirt.

Left gauntlet, where I was able to figure out that the wrist was a bit too tight.

The Iron Heart has also been finished and weathered. Just need to adjust that wrist plate, add some of the micaceous Iron Oxide...and... maybe weather my soft parts/ scrubs a little more. They're not quite as dingy/ lived in as I'd like I think.

~Kaylin

trashcanmando

• This is all Karen Traviss' fault. OM #1882
« Reply #62 on: Aug 29, 2017, 12:20 AM »
Holy cow, your gauntlets are amazing and I love your helmet! The claws look fantastic, I love your shoulder pieces even more now!

Kol Var'Das

• Beanpole
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #63 on: Aug 29, 2017, 08:27 AM »
Just found this build, and I just have to say this build is truly inspiring! Your quality is amazing!

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #64 on: Aug 29, 2017, 10:57 AM »
Thank you both Akaleh and Kol.

I found a tutorial on how to make segmented hand plates for a cosplay project, but it does have applications here with some modifications. Those gloves I was using in the photo are actually the gloves I use in my Baroness kit, and I'd like to keep them with it. I still have loads (Read: another 5 meters) of the same black fabric I made my sleeves out of, so I will be looking into making myself a pair of gloves to go with my mando. I could try and make leather ones at a later date, as I like the look of leather obviously. I'd need a deer or elk hide to do that though, as most of anything else is too hard to work with (in terms of shoving a glover's needle through it).

Or I could just keep using the ones from my Baroness kit. :P

~Kaylin

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #65 on: Sep 03, 2017, 01:35 AM »
So...pre-application is in progress. Let's see how this goes. Thank you to everyone for their feedback. You caught things I might not have, and for that, I am thankful. <3

~Kaylin

Boxception

• Cel'exa Klina'shel OM #1861
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #66 on: Sep 03, 2017, 11:03 PM »
Good luck girl.

PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW       Cel'exa Klina'shel OM #1861
MY WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=135464.msg1752482#msg1752482

trashcanmando

• This is all Karen Traviss' fault. OM #1882
« Reply #67 on: Sep 04, 2017, 02:56 PM »
Fingers crossed!

dee

« Reply #68 on: Sep 04, 2017, 08:31 PM »
Good luck on your pre-app vod

;)

Dee

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #69 on: Sep 05, 2017, 12:52 PM »
You got this :D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!