Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Scully Helmet WIP

• 71 Replies
Scully Helmet WIP
« on: Jul 11, 2017, 10:42 AM »
Hey guys! I'm working on a Rubie's Jango two piece helmet, and wanted to share my progress so far.

This is my concept colors and layout—took off the range finder, and I'm adding a custom comm unit using some old WiFi antennas.

Like I said, standard Jango 2 piece. This is what it looked like to start with:

So far I've glued together the back and front, cut out the rounded cheek pieces in favor of flat ones, and added Bondo to smooth out the seam.

Do you guys reinforce the inside? I've been reading a lot and seems like there are a lot of schools of thought. I was probably going to plastidip the inside, but I see a lot of people use fiberglass. Which is preferable?

Thanks!

Torolf Goran

• Take what you can, give nothing back.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
Re: Scully Helmet WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2017, 12:06 PM »
You need to reinforce the inside with either fiberglass or glue in strips of plastic over the seam with plastic epoxy. If you don't the bondo on top will start to crack along that seam after a while.

Bes'uliik Clan - Arkansas   OM #1545  
Brigade Member - Striker Division, Privateer / Heavy Melee
501st Diamond Garrison - TA 15450
M.M.R.S. - 001 (founder), W.B. - 003, QMU - 055, L.O.B. - 015, O.S.B.A. - 004, B.o.B.B. - 015, N.O.S. - 018

If you're new to the club and in Arkansas go here.
Official Invasions: 18

Ran

• Not the crown makes the king.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2017, 05:59 AM »
Plastidip isn't strong enough to reinforce it. I recommend fiberglass, not only on the top seam of the helmet, but also along the new cheeks you put in. It will make the whole helmet much stronger, and will keep the helmet from being so floppy, which will prevent bondo and paint from cracking, as well as just making it easier to work with.

Keep it up! Can't wait to see what Mulder's got cooking! :P

Scratch Build WIP
Art Thread
"Can your science explain the magic of rainbows?"
"Light defraction through moisture in the atmosphere."
"... It's a sad world you live in."

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2017, 10:52 AM »
Plastidip isn't strong enough to reinforce it. I recommend fiberglass, not only on the top seam of the helmet, but also along the new cheeks you put in. It will make the whole helmet much stronger, and will keep the helmet from being so floppy, which will prevent bondo and paint from cracking, as well as just making it easier to work with.

Keep it up! Can't wait to see what Mulder's got cooking! :P
^^^This^^^^

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2017, 09:29 AM »
Thanks guys! I used some plastic strips to reinforce the inside.

Do I need fiberglass in addition to that? I'm not sure what to get or where.

Ran

« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2017, 03:04 PM »
Some just use plastc strips like that, but I still believe that the addition of fiberglass is vastly superior, and you'll be much happier with the end product.

Fiberglass can be found at any hardware store. The fiberglass resin comes in a can, and the can usually comes with a tube of hardener that you mix with the resin in order for it to cure. Also get fiberglass cloth which ahould be in the same section. Follow the instructions on the can to know ratio of resin to hardener you should use.

It's pretty simple to use, I used it for the first time on my helmet. I recommend gloves and a mask and/or applying it outside because it has a gnarly odor.

Rough of the inside of the helmet a bit with low grit sandpaper. Pre cut strips of fiberglass cloth to fit in the inside of the helmet, 3 or more layers for each section. Mix the resin and hardener and apply it to the helmet with a brush, then stick the cloth on and brush more resin on top. Repeat until you've used all the cloth you had cut. Then just let it dry.

It'll smell kinda funky in there for a bit, but just let it air out. ;)

Scratch Build WIP
Art Thread
« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2017, 11:05 PM »
Hey guys! Got some pictures of the new cheek plates now that the glue is dry. Still haven't fiberglassed it yet, but it's surprisingly solid despite that.

Ran

« Reply #7 on: Jul 20, 2017, 11:12 PM »
Looks wicked! Probably the best mod you can make to the J2p is replacing those lame cheeks, good job! ;)

Scratch Build WIP
Art Thread
« Reply #8 on: Jul 21, 2017, 03:21 PM »
Everyone has their own methods. This is how I interpreted the "plastic strip reinforcement"
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=126206.msg1679509#msg1679509

Cover as much area as possible, with no room to wiggle (mine actually "snapped" in under the structure), and glued using a 2part epoxy that dries rock hard. I also put a bead of epoxy along that entire seem before joining the 1/2s.... so there would be NO gap at all. In my setup, Bondo should be purely a skin layer on top to smooth things out... no filling of voids/cracks. I still intend to add a 2nd, broader, layer of strips on the inside. I'm going to finish up some other areas of the helmet first.

« Reply #9 on: Jul 21, 2017, 03:27 PM »
That's pretty much what i ended up doing. I used epoxy on the entire seam, and used plastic strips to reinforce it. There's not really any gaps in it, it's just a little bit rough, so used some Bondo to smooth it.

« Reply #10 on: Jul 24, 2017, 02:13 PM »
After some Bondo and hell of a lot of sanding, I got the first layer of silver put on. It's a little transparent right now, because the can ran out after painting all of my armor and helmet at the same time.

It was so hot out it actually made the primer bubble a little bit in spots, but I thought it made for some interesting weathering, especially on the cheekbones.

Another trip to the spray paint store and I'll be able to post an updated pic.

Yolah Hyperion

• "Speak softly and carry a heavy blaster"
« Reply #11 on: Aug 15, 2017, 07:29 PM »
Good work!! hows the space on the inside when you wear it?

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises."
Mandalore the Preserver

"I have poured blood, sweat, manly tears, months and years, and quite possibly my mortal soul into this armor. Treat it like it is the last child on earth."
-Svik Katora
« Reply #12 on: Aug 15, 2017, 10:45 PM »
Thank you! It fits great, actually! I heard this one runs small, but no problems. I can even fit my glasses on inside it. Here's an updated pic btw:

Added a custom earpiece on the right, going to add in a wifi antenna for a comm unit. Then paint, weathering and visor. Fans too, if I have time.

Ran

« Reply #13 on: Aug 16, 2017, 12:13 AM »
Looks like you can still see the helmet seam. Before you get too far ahead of yourself with painting and whatnot, it'd be a good idea to sand the seam back down and apply more bondo. The seam should be completely invisible. Keep up the progress! ;)

Scratch Build WIP
Art Thread
« Reply #14 on: Aug 16, 2017, 06:17 AM »
Thanks!

Yolah Hyperion

« Reply #15 on: Aug 16, 2017, 06:21 AM »
Thank you! It fits great, actually! I heard this one runs small, but no problems. I can even fit my glasses on inside it. Here's an updated pic btw:

Added a custom earpiece on the right, going to add in a wifi antenna for a comm unit. Then paint, weathering and visor. Fans too, if I have time.

Oh that's right, you're trying to finish this before DCon yes?
I like how shiny it is right now :D adding your own created ear piece is very unique! I'll be waiting to see how you attach the antenna and the paint comes.

Mandalore the Preserver

"I have poured blood, sweat, manly tears, months and years, and quite possibly my mortal soul into this armor. Treat it like it is the last child on earth."
-Svik Katora
« Reply #16 on: Aug 16, 2017, 06:33 AM »
Thanks! I have I think 17 days to get the rest of it done... It may not be 100% done, but it'll be as close as I can get it.

How does the seam look? It does show a little bit on one side, but I was thinking of camouflaging it as battle damage. Is that acceptable, or do I have to redo the Bondo?

Yolah Hyperion

« Reply #17 on: Aug 16, 2017, 08:33 AM »
Doesn't seem like you will need to just go over it again with some very fine grit sandpaper and see how that helps.
What was the original grain used?

Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora
« Reply #18 on: Aug 16, 2017, 08:35 AM »
I started with 120, then worked my way up to 800 or 1200.

reguillet

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #19 on: Aug 16, 2017, 09:15 AM »
I would add a little more, little being the operative word. You did a lot of ground work so just a bit will finish it. Smooth it with a craft stick and it will fill those tiny gaps well. I typically take down bondo with 80grit then clean up with 120. After about 3 sessions you will know how it will look. I polish with 320. Nothing finer.

Yolah Hyperion

« Reply #20 on: Aug 16, 2017, 09:37 AM »
Agreed, personally use a razor blade to smooth things then cut off the bumps and whatnot. Like Reguillet said probably just a tiny bit will help some Vod.

Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora
« Reply #21 on: Aug 16, 2017, 09:40 AM »
Thanks guys! I'm still getting the hang of Bondo. I needed to fill the spaces between the earpieces and helmet anyway, so that should be easy.

Yolah Hyperion

« Reply #22 on: Aug 16, 2017, 09:46 AM »
Bondo seems like one of those things that takes years of working with before it starts to do what its told  :laugh:
How big is the earcap space?

Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora
« Reply #23 on: Aug 16, 2017, 09:50 AM »
Pretty miniscule on the front, but there's a bit of a gap on the back.

Yolah Hyperion

« Reply #24 on: Aug 16, 2017, 10:09 AM »
Okay because mine do the same and I wanted to be sure it wasn't just my caps that were spaced some. Your color scheme is so vibrant!! Do you have the paint colors on hand or not yet?

Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!