Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

starting with vest and flight suit

• 3 Replies
starting with vest and flight suit
« on: Jul 11, 2017, 05:57 PM »
is there any reccomendations I see that someone used dickies.    I was in military so I can get to a surplus store, does it need to fit snug?  what other alternative is there if I wanted something lighter>?   also about the vest what kinds are acceptable....thanx  from Chicago...

Re: starting with vest and flight suit
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2017, 10:09 PM »
Dickies are fine, coveralls are fine -- they need to be close fitting, so find a good fit, or alter.  If you want something lighter, use scrubs and sew on long sleeves ( a lot of people do this by buying a second pair of pants and turning the legs into sleeves), I used bits of an old compression shirt for the bottom part of my sleeves.

Vests --- duck cloth, canvas, leather, etc-- needs to be a "Substantial" fabric.  It'll need to be to hold up your armor well anyway. 

« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2017, 05:56 PM »
Hey great info thanx....

« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2017, 01:01 PM »
Mechanic Jumpsuit, actual flight-suit, or scrubs are all popular and all have their pros/cons.

Looks through CRLs to see what you can make fit them, but keep these types of things  in mind...
One or 2 peice is fine - as long as once you are kitted up, it LOOKS like a 1-piece. Matching colors, no waist-band, etc.
Double sleeves - They don't HAVE to match each other, but many prefer it... what is easiest to attain that with? If you can buy the SAME item with both options for a decent price, and rob the sleeves, that works. Some rare surplus flightsuit, may be more difficult to match sleeves on. OR, You may prefer not to spend $70 on a 2nd suit just to cut up.... but $20 on a second pair of scrubs? Sure. Then again, you could always use the spare material from the 2nd suit on small items to keep it all matching so you don't waste it (cape/duster, wrist bands, gun wrap, neck seal, boba thigh pockets, etc)
Zippers - no go. Must be covered (flap?), sewn shut, or otherwise hidden. Sometimes you can get away with having a zipper with no pull-tab, depending on the look. May avoid anything with large zippers across the thighs. (Pros go to scrubs... never have zippers)
Pockets - they are good in some locations, not allowed in others. Some people use a seem ripper to remove pockets, or even re-sew them to other locations (thighs?). Scrubs rarely have them, but sometimes you may want them.
Fit - They don't need to be TIGHT fitting (yoga paints/skinny jeans), but can't be too baggy. MOST flightsuits are fairly loose and long. ESPECIALLY when they get strapped down tight in areas by armor straps/holsters/etc. But you also may want a suit that doesn't get pulled out from under your armor/boots/gloves.... which is why some guys recommend a flight suit (long limbs), but tailor it down to get rid of bagginess.

That's the large portion of requirements, but just keep each of those pros/cons in mind when choosing your route and decide which alterations, additions, costs you are most likely to complete well at your budget.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!