Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Nerf SharpFire mods?

• 26 Replies
Nerf SharpFire mods?
« on: Jul 27, 2017, 01:47 PM »
Hey guys,

Like the title says, I ordered a Nerf SharpFire for my main weapon (have a Rubie's DL-44 as a sidearm).

I've ground off the Nerf logos and safety warnings and whatnot, and given it a base coat of paint to start from. What else would I need to do to make this approvable?

Thanks!

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
Re: Nerf SharpFire mods?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2017, 02:28 PM »
I don't have the specifics for this model, but typically Nerfs need to be modified so they cannot be identified from their base model.
Normally people will add extra parts, cut parts out and move them elsewhere. Whatever they can do to alter the design of the gun and disguise it is a Nerf. This also includes filling the seam lines etc. to stop it being identified as a toy too.

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2017, 09:51 PM »
Deactivate it, as in pull its guts out. You get some interesting parts to use as greeblies. If you have any, use some sintra to change up the profile a bit.

The stock is a dead giveaway, so grind off the places where you would store the extra Nerf darts, and fill in the hollow spaces.

That's maybe the minimum you could get away with.  If an expert would care to chime in?

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2017, 09:57 PM »
Thanks guys! You're giving me a lot to go on.

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2017, 04:54 PM »
I'd so something to hide those raised triangles on the side of the blaster. Nerf loves to put those things everywhere. Some bondo should do the trick.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Gunslinger - Special Weapons Brigade
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP
« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2017, 06:06 PM »
Thanks for the feedback! I've done a few things already—got some greeblies to differentiate it, removed the barrel extender and I'm going to turn it into a scope. I also added a small piece onto the new barrel to make it more cone-shaped. I'm going to use some extra sintra to close up the stock too.

There's a little reshaping to do before I attach the scope, and I'm going to repaint the whole thing, but what do you think?

rlobrecht

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2017, 11:15 AM »
Looking good.  I'd say remove the dart holders from the stock, and fill parts of the stock in, so it isn't so recognizable.  All those triangles scream Nerf.

Kotep Dral | Arqet Clan | MMCC #2677 | The OT Guard #63 | B.O.M.B #96

Helmet build - SWJFH-A7R pepakura | Soft parts WIP | Armor WIP | Sniper upgrades
« Reply #7 on: Jul 31, 2017, 01:03 PM »
Looking good.  I'd say remove the dart holders from the stock, and fill parts of the stock in, so it isn't so recognizable.  All those triangles scream Nerf.

But.... the triangles match the rug so well!
Seriously though, just skin a lone piece of sintra over them, or cover them with some type of greeblie/textured plastic.

I've seen people complain about the "brace" on the under side of the barrel.

Consider an offset scope vs straight on top... some say it isn't swarzy on top.

Maybe change the trigger? Though I rarely see that mentioned, the full plate triggers always stand out to me.

Maybe a grip/wrap or something near the barrel? Think of where your non-trigger hand will go when using the shoulder stock.

« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2017, 01:10 PM »
Definitely mounting the scope at an angle. I'm probably going to skin over the stock with sintra. I've added a few more greeblies on the barrel, so that should help with the triangles. I'll post more pics when I can.

« Reply #9 on: Aug 03, 2017, 11:19 AM »
Update! Decided to ditch the stock for now and add it later after Dragon Con. The rubber bands are just to hold the scope as the glue dries.

I added some greeblies to de-Nerf it, and added the scope. I still need to paint and weather, but what do you think, is this swarzy enough?

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Aug 03, 2017, 11:33 AM »
You're heading in the right direction. The triangles on and under the barrel need to be covered or sanded off.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #11 on: Aug 03, 2017, 11:45 AM »
I like what you've done with it. It looks like a "modernized" PowerTech blaster from The Old Republic. A few more tweaks and I think you'll have it.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP
« Reply #12 on: Aug 03, 2017, 11:46 AM »
Muchas gracias.

« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2018, 02:44 PM »
Hey guy! Been a while, but I finally had some time to make some updates.

Added weathering on both my blasters, though I may re-do it on my custom blaster. I'm pretty pleased with how the DL-44 is turning out, though.

« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2018, 02:56 PM by michaeljscully » Logged

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2018, 03:05 PM »
The DL is looking nice but that custom definitely needs the sintra and greebles you mentioned.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2018, 03:43 PM »
Yeah...Nerf mods in general are tough, no matter how small the blaster is.  Everyone has had some great advice, including some that I see that you haven't taken yet.  Not to be the bearer of bad news...but from my time on the app team, I can guarantee you that a blaster with those Nerf triangles on it, will not pass.  You've done a stellar job so far, but those will have to go, along with the grooves in the grip area.  Keep up the good work, you're almost there!!  :)

« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2018, 04:39 PM »
Thanks for the diagram!

It's definitely not done yet--I started practicing weathering on it while I wait on the Sintra to come. I have greeblies on the other side, but I forgot to get pictures.

« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2018, 09:48 AM »
Forgot to post the other side and the front:

Any criticism is appreciated!

« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:39 AM »
Got the sintra plates out in the sides! Now I just have to grind off the little triangles on the right side, and fill in the vents on the handle before I can do some more greeblies.

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2018, 10:40 AM »
Definitely moving in the right direction.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Juts te'Shev'la

• For Bakura
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 05:42 PM »
I've got 2 off these blasters myself and have been working heavily with belt sander and dremel but plan on using my wood burner. I need to get an account other than photo bucket to load pics..... I'm still a long ways away but am loving your process.

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 05:48 PM »
Can't wait to see yours, sgtbutt!

Thanks for reminding me about this thread—i have updates!

Grinded off all the triangles, filled in the handle, and repainted in silver. I'm going over it with black, and some gold to match my armor.

Kumo

• Sh'ehn Taab #2126
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2018, 10:12 AM »
I have a DL-18 made with a Sharpfire, here: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=151657.0 Maybe it gives you some ideas.

Ore wa Kumo da!

knsweb.net

OM #2126 / Cabur Akaata #223
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2018, 11:03 AM »
Very nice! I love how that turned out.

faol

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2018, 04:15 PM »
Love how yours is shaping up and really like how Kumo's turned out  :like: :like: for both

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."-- Sun Tzu

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!