Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

J2P Rubies _ _ _ WIP

• 56 Replies

Tek Sa'an

• OM #1005 - QMU #007 - Vinyl'alor
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events Order of the Ori'Ramikad 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
Re: J2P Rubies _ _ _ WIP
« Reply #50 on: Oct 19, 2018, 09:29 AM »
I don't have a T-Visor branded visor, just a regular green welding sheet I cut a visor out of. You may be able to gently heat the visor with a heat gun and shape it that way. Have you contacted them to see if they have any ideas?

ORI’RAMIKAD 2020 | OM #1005 | QMU #007 | VINYL'ALOR | IG-85736
« Reply #51 on: Oct 19, 2018, 08:13 PM »
I don't have a T-Visor branded visor, just a regular green welding sheet I cut a visor out of. You may be able to gently heat the visor with a heat gun and shape it that way. Have you contacted them to see if they have any ideas?

Cheers Tek Sa'an,
I have sent off a message to the company asking for their advice, I hadn't thought of that so thanks.
 I saw your post about the welding shield, but because of the glue I used to keep the halves together the helmet was a bit flimsy, and  I was wanting to use a stronger visor to compensate for that.

After I get this visor in place all that I should need to do is a neck seal and then it will be done.

Tek Sa'an

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events Order of the Ori'Ramikad 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #52 on: Oct 20, 2018, 09:18 PM »
Before you put the visor in, you may try fiberglassing the inside to give it strength and durability. At least just the seam part. That's what I did, as have many others with a J2P. Either way, it's looking fantastic. You've done a great job on it.

Lem'zig Dee

• WEAPON OF MASS PERCUSSION
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #53 on: Oct 22, 2018, 06:47 AM »
Following because I am starting a J2P build and noticed that the curve doesn't match the T-visor. I was thinking about building up the thickness of the visor section of the helmet with some sintra (or an embroidery hoop) to add some depth and maybe correct the weird curve issue.

IG  -  @suzylamoureuxdrums
« Reply #54 on: Oct 23, 2018, 06:46 AM »
Before you put the visor in, you may try fiberglassing the inside to give it strength and durability. At least just the seam part. That's what I did, as have many others with a J2P. Either way, it's looking fantastic. You've done a great job on it.

I will definitely have a look at fiberglassing the inside of it, I do really need to increase its strength. Do you or anyone else have tips on fiberglass, I have never used it before. Also what would be the best way to cover the inside piece of the Rangefinder, I think it would crack the helmet if I tried to take that apart now.
Also ori'vor'e vod, I really like how it has come out, and am quite proud.

Following because I am starting a J2P build and noticed that the curve doesn't match the T-visor. I was thinking about building up the thickness of the visor section of the helmet with some sintra (or an embroidery hoop) to add some depth and maybe correct the weird curve issue.

Glad to see my visor wasn't the only one, though also kinda bad. I'm going to try hitting it with a hair drier (when I get a chance) and will see if that lets me bend it at all. Can you keep me informed with how the Sintra or embroidery hope turns out?
Cheers vod.

As always any tips would be greatly appreciated, especially with fibre glassing, I really have no idea so will be doing a heap of research on it for the next few weeks. Cheers for any help.

Lem'zig Dee

• WEAPON OF MASS PERCUSSION
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #55 on: Oct 23, 2018, 07:19 AM »
Glad to see my visor wasn't the only one, though also kinda bad. I'm going to try hitting it with a hair drier (when I get a chance) and will see if that lets me bend it at all. Can you keep me informed with how the Sintra or embroidery hope turns out?
Cheers vod.

Sure! Not sure exactly when I will be doing this, but I'll let you know how it goes once I do.

IG  -  @suzylamoureuxdrums

Tek Sa'an

« Reply #56 on: Oct 23, 2018, 10:18 AM »
I will definitely have a look at fiberglassing the inside of it, I do really need to increase its strength. Do you or anyone else have tips on fiberglass, I have never used it before. Also what would be the best way to cover the inside piece of the Rangefinder, I think it would crack the helmet if I tried to take that apart now.
Also ori'vor'e vod, I really like how it has come out, and am quite proud.

I didn't know anything about fiberglassing when I started in 2012, but I watched videos and asked lots of questions. I bought some Bondo brand fiberglass sheets and the resin from Walmart. Follow the directions that come with it. It's actually really easy. It's been a while, but here's how I did mine:

I cut a bunch of strips of fiber cloth (maybe 2.5 x 6?). I first brushed on a little resin mix where the strips would go so they would adhere better. Then I put the strips on that (make sure to wear gloves). Brush a thick layer on and keep building it up - really saturate those strips. The resin will start getting tacky and then you can no longer brush it on. Now you let it sit and cure. I sped the process up by using my heat gun, though. It worked great.

As far as the rangefinder goes. I didn't use that rangefinder. I swapped it out with the HBF's because it was heavier and looked better. The J2P's was flimsy. You can buy an aluminum or resin rangefinder from elsewhere, too. I know Dha Bral sells them. I have a piece of 6mm Sintra screwed into my rangefinder on the inside. If you just want to cover it, maybe use some foam? Hot glue it in place?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!