Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Paracord 550 Girth Belt WIP

• 4 Replies

Tak'ur

• Ner oyay cuyir tracyn bal tal
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 40+ hrs of Charity Work Shock Infantry Brigade Member
Paracord 550 Girth Belt WIP
« on: Jul 30, 2017, 12:53 PM »
Girth Belt WIP

Material Used:
Paracord 550 x 200ft (I believe it'll be about 180ft for full requirement)
BCY Serviing string (Archery leftovers) - basically something to weave and hold the strands in place.
3 x 50mm Slip Lock Buckles
3 x 50mm Quick Release Buckles
50mm Black Webbing material x 2m (likely to only need 90cm)

Jig:
Cheap Pine Shelving board 1200mm x 240mm
Chipboard screws to secure buckles

Starting point - I need a girth belt approx 1250mm in length so aiming for a girth belt of 1100mm and then use the black webbing as a fill/adjustment strap.

No1. Set Jig...
a. Marked 2 lines at either end of the board 1100mm apart
b. fixed buckles in place - loosely to allow the threading of the paracord

No2. Initial Loop
Thread the first end of the loop of paracord through the quick release buckle
Secure the end of the paracord using the BCY string - looped 3 times and secured with a loop and knot each time on the single strand and then the same looped around both strands.

No3. Loop the cord
Thread the cord end to end through the Slip Lock and Quick Release buckles - I used a loop going under the Slip lock and over the QR buckles - take it slow (patience is never my best attribute) and check that you are keeping a continuous loop and not crossing the paracord - otherwise you don't end up with a flat belt.

No4. At the end of the 1st Buckle set
Cut off a length of BCY String material - I used about 60cm
Put the ends together ( as in create a U shape) and loop under the 1st loop of Paracordand feed the ends through the loop.

Weave the BCY string between the loops and bunch as close to the buckle as possible to secure the cords.

Secure the BCY at either end pending on how much string you have left and repeat at the other end

I'm using a continuous loop through all 3 buckles so will continue the Paracord loop up to the 2nd set of buckles from the 1st set completed as above...

*** Update*** Day 2

Continue repeating steps 3 & 4 across the remaining buckles - I've used 3 for a 1500mm deep girth

The paracord I have is in 100ft lengths so at the end of the 1st 100ft I've secured the end to the previous loop, as I did in step 2 though added a few loops for safety...

Then connect the start of the 2nd 100ft length in the same manner...

No5. So all three loops completed now to bring them together.
I've marked 2 lines at 250mm from the buckles. Take the BCY string and secure to the first line of the paracord using the U connection

Then repeat the loop, weaving between each loop of paracord...

and repeat across both sets...

No6. Add the desired length of 50mm webbing to the slip buckle and secure (sew)

No7. Test Fit - No photo
But it showed a flaw in my design so back to the jig and awaiting a newly ordered leather sewing kit...

I'll add 50mm strip of leather over each weave connection at the 250mm point and then add a 100mm strip to the centre point...

***Update*** Day 3

So having received my leather sewing kit I could finish off the final build.

No8. Leather Loops
So the test fit showed me that I needed some way of providing a more substantial structure to hold the shape of the belt. so I created 2 x 50mm wide leather loops and 1 x 100mm wide leather loop from left overs from making my holster...

each loop was 320mm in length, stitched to the rear side with holes punched to accommodate 2 x 6mm brass rivets to hold the loops to the belt.

No9. Fitting the loops
So I got carried away and didn't photograph this section but it's self explanatory really - I slipped each loop over in order (50mm - 100mm - 50mm) and hammered through the rivets to secure in place.

No10. Girth Belt 2nd Test fit...

The photo's speak for themselves - I'm happy...

OM #1966 06th Dec 2017
Girth Belt WIP
Oribru Akaata #22 Draluram #16  M.M.R.S #2 Wrangalorian #6  M.L.C.S #40  M.A.C.K #50 B.E.A.R.D.S #148  B.O.M.B #92

Tek Sa'an

• OM #1005 - QMU #007 - Vinyl'alor
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Paracord 550 Girth Belt WIP
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2017, 10:37 AM »
That's awesome! I have a Mohair girth belt, but it was still separating, so I hot glued the ropes together on the inside. Now it looks 100 times better and stays as one single piece.

What an awesome way to make a girth belt, though. Very nice work!

OM #1005 | QMU #007 | VINYL'ALOR | IG-85736

Tak'ur

• Ner oyay cuyir tracyn bal tal
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 40+ hrs of Charity Work Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2017, 10:53 AM »
Vor'e Vod..

OM #1966 06th Dec 2017
Girth Belt WIP
Oribru Akaata #22 Draluram #16  M.M.R.S #2 Wrangalorian #6  M.L.C.S #40  M.A.C.K #50 B.E.A.R.D.S #148  B.O.M.B #92

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 2017, 10:12 PM »
I might have to try this for my next kit.  ;D
Bookmarking it!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Cylon

« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2017, 11:11 PM »
Good looking belt

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!