Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Shaping Sintra with Boiling Water- the Safest Way?

• 5 Replies
Shaping Sintra with Boiling Water- the Safest Way?
« on: Aug 08, 2017, 03:22 PM »
Hi, I'm planning on shaping my Sintra plates with The Boiling Water Method but was wondering if it is the "safest" way to shape the plate instead of the Oven or Heat Gun method in which I heard that it will give off toxic fumes.

grantaire

• Steve Buscemi rhymes with Mom's Spaghetti
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Shaping Sintra with Boiling Water- the Safest Way?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2017, 03:34 PM »
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand, sintra will only give off toxic fumes at really high temperatures like when cutting the material with a laser. When you're heating it, as long as you don't touch your heat gun to the sintra and work in a well ventilated area, you should be fine. You will know when you're burning your sintra because it will start getting brown and bubble. 

If you still have concerns about when is too much or what the safest way is - call or contact your plastics supplier. I remember a clan mate did that and heard that the temperature he kept his sintra in the oven isn't high enough to excrete fumes.

Best of luck with your build!

« Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2017, 08:12 PM »
I've had good luck with the boiling water method. It sets quick but does slightly shrink. There was a slight smell but nothing over powering. The tricky part is using it for larger pieces.

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2017, 08:55 PM »
To be honest, using a heat gun is probably the safest way. While yes, it can give off fumes if you scorch it, you're going to notice the plastic overheating long before you get fumes in a high enough concentration to actually cause harm - as long as you're not working in something the size of a phone booth or a port-a-'fresher. Boiling water, on the other hand, you do have a significantly higher risk of burns as opposed to a heat gun. While these can be mitigated with proper safety gear - namely work gloves - a heat gun is more easily controlled.

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2017, 10:10 PM »
Agreed with Fenris. Boiling water is harder to handle than a heat gun and no harmful fumes will come off so long as you don't burn it. If you're super worried about the smell though (or if you just dislike it like I do), work outside and get a vapor respirator. A good investment and will save you from any fumes. I use this one and it works very well.

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2017, 06:40 AM »
Another vote here for working in a well ventilated area and a heat gun. Much more control over where the heat is distributed. Remember your PPE.

It also means on the second and third bends you can apply heat to just the desired areas rather than the full piece. If you don't get it shaped first time perfectly and reheat the full plate it will all start to revert back to its original shape.

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!