Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Zando's WIP 1.0

• 84 Replies

Zando

• Hello!
Zando's WIP 1.0
« on: Aug 11, 2017, 03:43 PM »
Alrighty vode! Hopefully gonna get moving on my kit. I'll hopefully have some sizing help pics up tonight or Sunday afternoon (I'm overnighting at a friends house Saturday).

So far, I've got 2 2'x4' sheets of 6mm Sintra, enough to get me going I think. Got templates printed out so I can cut 'em out and see how they look. I'll be getting a B-stock Westar 35 from Eternal Armory (It's just got a little hole in the trigger guard, nothing a little bond/epoxy can't fix), and I've sent some messages out about helmets. Got 2 flight suits on order, so I can be sure to get at least one that'll fit me. I've read the first 3 Republic Commando books, so I'm all hyped up!

I'll get some pics up of my planned color scheme as soon as I dig up my Flickr login.

Pics:

Color scheme 1.0 (too dark and bland):

2.0:

Aaaannnd finally 3.0 (little less armor, I may add back shin plates and everything later):

What do you guys think?

grantaire

• Steve Buscemi rhymes with Mom's Spaghetti
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Zando's WIP 1.0
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2017, 05:39 PM »
Sounds like you're off to a great start! When you're done cutting out the templates, you should tape them to yourself and send a pic here for members to check on your sizing and spacing. That way you don't cut materials based on templates that don't fit you. Nearly all templates will need some adjustments because everyone's body is different.

Can't wait to see how your Mando comes out! :)

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2017, 05:41 PM »
Sounds like you're off to a great start! When you're done cutting out the templates, you should tape them to yourself and send a pic here for members to check on your sizing and spacing. That way you don't cut materials based on templates that don't fit you. Nearly all templates will need some adjustments because everyone's body is different.

Can't wait to see how your Mando comes out! :)

Thanks vod! And yeah, I'll be sure to get pics up of my templates before I start cutting into my precious sintra supply.

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2017, 04:45 PM »
-snip-

Armor templates cut! And don't worry, that's red sharpie, not blood...  ;D

This one's a bit to the side, thanks to the weird mirror. And please excuse my terrible grumpy/tired/smirk face, it was 11:30 or something when I took that. Also, my hand is at my belly button for reference.

These are the large Jango plates, from the Wizard of Light templates.

And I've got my two flight suits, I'll try them on and see which fits bets, then return them. And I'll hopefully be getting a buy'ce from Droodles.

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2017, 10:57 AM »
Flight suit pics incoming, hopefully around lunch. I've got a 46 long and 48 long, and need your guys opinions on what looks best!  :D

EDIT: Pics!

48 long (more comfortable, give me better movement and lets me get an almost full squat):

And the 46 long (more fitting, but the crotch is a bit hit, and I can't raise my arms above the shoulder with out it coming up too far):

Vor'en Marr

• Vor'en Marr
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2017, 04:33 PM »
Chest plates may be a little wide. Hard to see at an angle and with bent arms.
Could you cross your arms?

MMCC OM #1437 |MMCC Brigade #198| B.O.M.B #069 | MiB #018| B.O.O.M #027

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2017, 04:37 PM »
Chest plates may be a little wide. Hard to see at an angle and with bent arms.
Could you cross your arms?

A bit, but they catch. The do look a bit wide.... think I should go down to a medium?

Updated with flight suit pics BTW.

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2017, 03:08 PM »
Thanks to Brandon and the guys over at Eternal Armory, I got an awesome deal on a B-stock Westar 35! Here it is getting all primered up in preparation for bondo, more primer, then black, grey, and red paint:

Also working on my rifle and hand plate, need more feedback for my chest plates (I'll try medium plates and see how they fit).

I'll update this post as the weaponry work advances.

And time for a pic dump:

The warzone:

Bondo:

Primer magic (all the holes and divots are gone!):

Shiny:

and it disappears....

to a nice dark grey:

Needs some work though, the humidity is making it take a zillion years to dry  :(

Sorry for the terrible flash, but here's it with my rifle, which needs the stock painted (I'm thinking the same grey as the pistol, to contrast a bit with the rest of the rifle):

I'm going to add a chopped off mag to the rifle, and the stock and maybe the bipod will be attached (all branding will be removed). I may add some glossy black stripes around the muzzle for a cool effect, and perhaps some red, but I don't think the gun needs it. Anything else I should to to get it looking more swarzy? (And BTW, the safety and trigger still work on the rifle, I filled in the English lettering, and all the guts of the arisoft gun have been stripped out and epoxied.

And that's the sum of my work over the weekend.

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2017, 11:52 AM »
Updated blaster WIP post, and thanks again to the awesome Eternal Armory guys, this weapon is beautiful!

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 31, 2017, 04:26 PM »
Does anyone know a good place to get Boba style boots in black/dark grey? I'd like some, but I don't even know what brand to look for, and if I get "actual" Boba Boots, they'll be overpriced and probably break if I just wear them around everywhere like I probably will  :P.

« Reply #11 on: Sep 01, 2017, 04:01 PM »
First off, your weapons are coming along quite nicely. Good job on the painting.

For the boots, I want to say they'll work as long as the logo is covered at the back and armor is added to the front of them

Keep it up  ;)

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 01, 2017, 04:04 PM »
First off, your weapons are coming along quite nicely. Good job on the painting.

For the boots, I want to say they'll work as long as the logo is covered at the back and armor is added to the front of them

Keep it up  ;)

Awesome! Thanks for the complements, and thanks for replying. I was worried since pretty much no one else has replied but me updating stuff. I guess I update it at the wrong time or something.

About the boots, what do you think I could do to cover up the logo? And I was thinking of getting some of these as well, since I'm doing a lighter armor kit with no shin plates: https://www.etsy.com/listing/243133780/vintage-1950s-80s-swiss-military-gaiters?gpla=1&gao=0&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_-clothing-unisex_adult_clothing-other&utm_custom1=6af7f2ab-8357-44dd-bd2d-6cf71525b041&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiqTNBRDVARIsAGsd9MrGP4sWeiptYMzHRdgeqfEGRBtuny-4xaZYw9LOoRB92dRhuNotrXMaAoVVEALw_wcB (there's some for $25 as well, but IDK how legit they are).

I was also thinking of stormtrooper style shines, though those would be really tricky to make.

EDIT: On second thought, looks like the gaiters would cover the logo, so problem solved.

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #13 on: Sep 01, 2017, 09:53 PM »
Splitting this to a second post so it isn't too long, but here's a blaster update:

Weathered awesomeness! Think I should do a black wash or does it look good enough as is? I’m also going to add the red in the little pockets on one side, and do you think I should clear coat it, or will that ruin the look...  :(

Also, I'm right handed, thus the extra weathering on that side where my finger has been "straight and off the trigger" for many trusty years of ownership.

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #15 on: Sep 06, 2017, 11:56 AM »
hello matey, just a quick heads up... those boots look fine but they do seem rather expensive if you take a little time to shop around you can pick up the same boots or very similar for a fraction of the price. whilst looking for a pair for a vod in my clan i found a pair for £7.50 brand new + free shipping that's gotta be round the $10.00 mark. ;)

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 06, 2017, 11:59 AM »
hello matey, just a quick heads up... those boots look fine but they do seem rather expensive if you take a little time to shop around you can pick up the same boots or very similar for a fraction of the price. whilst looking for a pair for a vod in my clan i found a pair for £7.50 brand new + free shipping that's gotta be round the $10.00 mark. ;)

Awesome! I need to find some in size 11 (I wear 10.5 but like bigger boots), and need them to be pretty though... I'll try and shop around. I'd really love Rogue One boots, the ones Cassian and all the rebels wear, but those are way expensive and you have to mod them to get the leather flap on the front. Got any suggestions for good boots?

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #17 on: Sep 06, 2017, 12:06 PM »
i believe what you may be talking about are called foundry boots they're safty boots used by guys who are around molten metals, the leather flap is to give the top of the foot a little more protection against splashes of hot metal try searching e-bay for foundry boots.

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 06, 2017, 12:08 PM »
i believe what you may be talking about are called foundry boots they're safty boots used by guys who are around molten metals, the leather flap is to give the top of the foot a little more protection against splashes of hot metal try searching e-bay for foundry boots.

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, lots of them are close, but look too modern and sneaker-like. I really just need tough boots though, since I have black leather gaiters that'll cover any laces and such. They need a proper heel though, so the under strap on the gaiters will fit.

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #19 on: Sep 11, 2017, 11:09 PM »
And templates cut! Medium this time, they seem to fit me better (and since the lighting in the bathroom is so terrible, the green lines are where my chest ends and where my belly button is at);

And yeah, I know the collar doesn't line up and all the plates are wonky. Masking tape doesn't adhere to cloth very well...  :rolleyes:

« Reply #20 on: Sep 11, 2017, 11:18 PM »
The plate size is looking good. As you mentioned, collar doesn't line up with the chest. That's an easy fix.  ;)

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #21 on: Sep 11, 2017, 11:19 PM »
The plate size is looking good. As you mentioned, collar doesn't line up with the chest. That's an easy fix.  ;)

Yup. Once it's cut out in Sintra, it won't be buckling.

Ellen

• Call me Sha'el Cla
« Reply #22 on: Sep 11, 2017, 11:22 PM »
Yup. Once it's cut out in Sintra, it won't be buckling.

This is exciting! Are you still going to paint everything black?

Design is everything. Why buy it when you can build it?

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #23 on: Sep 11, 2017, 11:25 PM »
This is exciting! Are you still going to paint everything black?

Yup. And red, with the chest diamond and some accents in a really cool gunmetal grey paint I found at Walmart. Think it looks good enough to start cutting my sintra?

Ellen

• Call me Sha'el Cla
« Reply #24 on: Sep 11, 2017, 11:29 PM »
Yup. And red, with the chest diamond and some accents in a really cool gunmetal grey paint I found at Walmart. Think it looks good enough to start cutting my sintra?

I think so! But then again, I've run into trouble with spacing myself. I'm considering redoing some of my plates  :(

Design is everything. Why buy it when you can build it?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!