Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Nuuke's NiO WIP

• 13 Replies
Nuuke's NiO WIP
« on: Aug 17, 2017, 01:42 PM »
So I've got the armor, most of it fits and some of it is painted. What I don't have are all the soft parts. I was looking at scrubs as something to wear under it all but I'm not sure if I dig the fit. I was looking for something more form fitting and I was worried that Under Armour wouldn't hold up all this armor.

I definitely need a belt because I don't like the abdomen being so exposed, it doesn't seem right. Any ladies recommend any places for that sort of thing?

Anyway, this is probably going to be a pic heavy thread, but here is a few things just for now. My helm, which I've had to repaint a few times due to my own fails (and the fact that I didn't know krylon spray paint is the worst). I used some Krylon on the back of it and it nearly ruined the helmet, I was pretty peeved about it but I managed to give it somewhat of a damaged look that looks decent in my newb opinion. It's covered up by tape in these pictures. I kinda wanted to see what the silver and black would look like, not sure if I'm going to keep them similar to that or not. Could try to rough up the edges on that. Also, the thighs/knees. Nothing super great to say about that other than David at TMA is a rockstar. I'm not a creative person when it comes to art so I have next to no idea what the finish product is going to look like but I've got some cool stencil ideas.

I just realized the visor isn't installed in the helm yet, and uhh.. yeah, I'm a little worried I'll mess it up but I've got a few visor installation guides I have been looking at. It seems like hot glue is the most popular way?

Would love to hear back from you all, this journey is crazy but I'm pretty excited to see it all when it's 'done'.

Zarya Arthos

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Nuuke's NiO WIP
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2017, 02:38 PM »
The armor needs to go on a flak vest, so wearing under armour soft parts underneath should be fine. Have any idea for a vest? I used a leather vest for mine.

Yeah, Krylon sucks. I only paint with Montana Black series. I really do recommend making the switch. But it doesn't look too bad in these pics. If you really hate it, you can just sand it down and start over. I had to do that the first time I painted my helmet because I used clear coat that totally ruined my paint job.

Nice helmet choice, btw  8)

Looking for mirrored visors? Click Here!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2017, 02:54 PM »
I was worried it would have to go on a flak, I'm no good with stitching or something like that so I'd probably buy one. I see a few people who make some good looking ones up in the trading post. Maybe ETSY if I can find one that I like. I would possibly make one, or have a friend make it for me. Got that hobby lobby employee discount to help. I'll stalk around here for a good McCall/Simplicity pattern as well. I might stay away from leather because that would kill me out here in Georgia, whatever I choose it definitely has to be thick enough. I guess it is possible to just buy a pull over vest and make modifications to it though, right?

Paint-wise, from here on out all I am buying is Rustoleum. I haven't had an issue with them. Krylon is too watery, but it probably didn't help that I'm in Georgia and it is too humid to spray paint outside (but I did anyway).

Thank you, I keep staring at your forum signature, I love your helmet design!

I ordered these boots from amazon, and I was pretty iffy on the design but I actually quite like them. Do they look passable? I'm going to add something to cover the heel.

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2017, 01:48 AM »
They should be fine. Low heels are allowed, but most of us opt for flatter boots for comfort trooping. :)

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2017, 06:46 AM »
The top silver section of the zip will need a quick black paint to make it blend in, otherwise you'll need to add something to cover it as visible zips on the inside of boots must be colour matching.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #5 on: Aug 18, 2017, 11:57 AM »
They should be fine. Low heels are allowed, but most of us opt for flatter boots for comfort trooping. :)

I'm hoping to wear this kit and test it out in two weeks, I'm already planning on getting some sort of insole to keep my feet happy but I shall keep this in mind if I don't like them. Thank you, Aria!

The top silver section of the zip will need a quick black paint to make it blend in, otherwise you'll need to add something to cover it as visible zips on the inside of boots must be colour matching.

That I can do, do I need to cover the entire zipper or just the pull?

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2017, 04:50 PM »
Unless I'm getting turned round the zip is on the inside leg, so it's just the pull that needs painting or a strap of some kind to just cover it when it's pulled up as the main teeth part of the zip already matches. (If you switch to any boots with zips on the back/outside leg then they need fully hiding).

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2017, 05:11 PM »
Unless I'm getting turned round the zip is on the inside leg, so it's just the pull that needs painting or a strap of some kind to just cover it when it's pulled up as the main teeth part of the zip already matches. (If you switch to any boots with zips on the back/outside leg then they need fully hiding).

You are correct, the zipper is on the side of the leg. Sweet, that doesn't seem too difficult to do. Thank you.

Totally unrelated but I got these in the mail today and I'm so excited for them! 3d printed from the guys (and gals) over at the Eternal Armory

« Reply #8 on: Aug 22, 2017, 07:23 PM »
Always liked the look of the Night-Owl bucket.

Great start!  ;)

« Reply #9 on: Aug 24, 2017, 01:26 PM »
Thanks Aden!

Small update but I hadn't laid my armor out for a picture yet and I just did and wow. It's coming together parts wise. This weekend is going to be rough, but I've got another set of hands coming to help. My father in law is a lot better at crafting things than I.

I am so in love with my helmet, I need to get a visor and put it in because it's ready for one. I see that hot glue is the most popular method, so I will most likely be doing that.

The gauntlets need to be trimmed and shaped, they are huge on me. My arms are small and when these are on me they fill up my entire forearm, which would be a bit difficult to maneuver in. I would be knocking everything over without realizing.

I still need to add a silver stripe to the collar bone to match the helmet and abdomen. But other than that almost everything else is done. And maybe go over the hand plates, I hadn't decided whether I wanted a silver r stripe, or solid black or solid silver yet. Still not sure but they're so small and easy to do.

I have some altering of soft parts to do, but I am really just ready to attach everything. Once I do that I will work on those westar blasters but they seem easy enough.

Zarya Arthos

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Aug 24, 2017, 07:34 PM »
Looking good!

For my vest, I made some modifications to one I found for pretty cheap. Added buckles to the sides to make it fit. Have you decided what you'll use to attach your plates?

Also for the visor, you can attach it with chicago screws.

Looking for mirrored visors? Click Here!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 30, 2017, 10:40 PM »
Hot gluing the visor in is a very common method though I would recommend install the visor with velcro. This will make it so much easier to clean the visor and if you decide to change your paint scheme down the road  ;)

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Aug 30, 2017, 10:47 PM »
I would second using chicago screws for the visor, they make it really easy to take out and adjust/clean the visor and allow for lots of airflow which prevents the visor from fogging up. 

Depending on how big the gauntlets are around you can always add some extra foam padding inside as well, but yeah for the length you'll definitely want to trim them.

Great job so far!

Instagram: @evaarla_kal

JrMint82

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #13 on: Aug 31, 2017, 01:29 PM »
Your kit is looking great!  On my son's bucket I added tabs made of sintra to hold the visor on. 

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!