Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Zort makes some armor. WIP

• 19 Replies
Zort makes some armor. WIP
« on: Aug 18, 2017, 12:04 AM »
Hey all.

I'm starting in on my plates and am in the process of getting size down.

My concept is linked in my signature.

Currently, I have made a test vest for plate sizing and I am dialing in my plate size.

I had some trouble getting the vest centered with the patterns on it. But at least it's something to start with.

Any opinions on sizing or anything else?

I'm hoping to get the plates cut pretty quickly. So I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks all.

Boxception

• Cel'exa Klina'shel OM #1861
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions
Re: Zort makes some armor. WIP
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2017, 12:18 AM »
Remember with spacing general rule of thumb is " 1/2 inch to 1 inch spacing between plates" diamond being the half inch. Other wise it looks like the correct size and the vest will work once you get going. Good luck keep posting.

PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW       Cel'exa Klina'shel OM #1861
MY WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=135464.msg1752482#msg1752482
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2017, 02:11 PM »
Paper patterns are a pain to use. Often you try and trace around them and they will shift or the pencil or pen will run over the edge, or the edge bends up. So, I will be transferring my patterns to tote plastic.

Walmart has a very straight-sided model for $7. It's 20 gal, has a "Mainstay" brand sticker, but the molded imprint says "HOMZ" brand (I'll try and get a pic up later).

The plastic is a tad bit thinner than a Sterilite brand container. But since it won't be tote armor we don't need to worry about that. And in fact being thinner will make it easier to cut.

So you just tape your paper onto the tote. But before you cut look at the other side of the plastic, make sure there are no brace pieces or other plastic projections on the other side. Make sure you got the pattern on section that is flat on both sides.

If you are making a template for a mirrored piece, you only need one side. You just flip it over when you want to trace the mirrored piece.

Then trace, remove the paper, and cut. You can also just cut around the taped-down paper pattern if it is taped enough that it won't shift.

Depending on your cutting methods, you may want to sand down to a smooth edge. It makes tracing around the template easier. If you use scissors to cut the tote, you may want to cut slightly larger and sand down to size.

You should end up with a set of hard templates that you can put down on material and easily trace around.

Remember with spacing general rule of thumb is " 1/2 inch to 1 inch spacing between plates" diamond being the half inch. Other wise it looks like the correct size and the vest will work once you get going. Good luck keep posting.

Thanks for responding. I'm really excited to get started in on the plates.

« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2017, 03:56 PM by Rhoteus Zort » Logged

Boxception

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2017, 04:36 PM »
What's your plan on securing the vest? At the sides I mean. Happy to help although I'm still new to being an OM. Seasoned Mandos may have better feedback. I'm always down to give opinions. But my word is not official because I'm no Ruusalor

MY WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=135464.msg1752482#msg1752482
« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2017, 05:20 PM »
What's your plan on securing the vest? At the sides I mean. Happy to help although I'm still new to being an OM. Seasoned Mandos may have better feedback. I'm always down to give opinions. But my word is not official because I'm no Ruusalor

Webbing straps and clip buckles. I already went over the design with the app team through Q&A.

Boxception

« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2017, 04:45 AM »
Ahh good.  I used foam board cut outs for templates. That way they were much more durable. I still have hem and have made several armor kits from those templates.  Always always always. Template everything and keep templates.  From experience stuff breaks and it's much better to go back to the original set than trying to recast annew chest or diamond or knees.  Let's just say I know a guy who made this mistake.

« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2017, 04:07 PM »
I'll be cutting my patterns and maybe the plates tonight.

I was wondering if there are any other opinions on my plate size before I cut into them. I can't really afford to make a mistake here. I only have so much PVC board. So please feel free to comment.

Thanks all.

Jaster Fett

• All men are cremated equally
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Boba and Jango Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2017, 06:22 PM »
Looks good to me vod!

Boxception

« Reply #8 on: Aug 20, 2017, 03:22 PM »
I second this. Get to cutting. Good luck

« Reply #9 on: Aug 20, 2017, 09:25 PM »
I had to delay and start cutting today.

I always hate boxcutter work. I don't know if there is any other choice though. The PVC just kind of melts when I try and use any kind of power tool to cut it, as expected. But you'd think there would be something that could do the job.

Anyways, one way other another the plates are being processed and cut.

Not gonna do the Mando knees. I think I'm going to make something a little more boring and standard. Just a general oval or angular shape with some straps or something.

Also, still hashing out gauntlet design.

I did get at least one blaster processed and ready for primer/paint. The Rubies Previsla.

Jaster Fett

• All men are cremated equally
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Boba and Jango Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #10 on: Aug 20, 2017, 11:08 PM »
I had to delay and start cutting today.

I always hate boxcutter work. I don't know if there is any other choice though. The PVC just kind of melts when I try and use any kind of power tool to cut it, as expected. But you'd think there would be something that could do the job.

Anyways, one way other another the plates are being processed and cut.

Not gonna do the Mando knees. I think I'm going to make something a little more boring and standard. Just a general oval or angular shape with some straps or something.

Also, still hashing out gauntlet design.

I did get at least one blaster processed and ready for primer/paint. The Rubies Previsla.

The best way to cut sintra is with a razor pen or a box cutter. You want to score your pattern section at a time until you cut clean through

Boxception

« Reply #11 on: Aug 21, 2017, 12:10 AM »
Also patience..... I can't stress this enough. Don't rush. Your kit will look better in the end if you take your time.  The saying goes measure twice cut once

« Reply #12 on: Aug 21, 2017, 05:01 AM »
I got the diamond and neck cut. I'll do the chest plates and ab plate tomorrow. Hopefully get them all sanded.

This 6mm stuff is pretty thick. And it takes a bunch of passes to all the way through. Hopefully I can sand out all the imperfections. If not, weathering and damage...I suppose.

Boxception

« Reply #13 on: Aug 21, 2017, 05:19 PM »
I also did 6mm. Good luck. Honestly it will pay off in durability. 

« Reply #14 on: Aug 24, 2017, 04:03 AM »
Plate cutting is going well.

I got the diamond, shoulders, and ab plate cut and edge sanded. Chest plates tomorrow.

Once I got a good technique going the 6mm board cut really quick. And sanding the stuff is strange. It acts more like a rubber pencil eraser. Peeling and rolling off. But at least it goes quickly.

Still need to cut the knees I designed and get a gauntlet pattern made.

Did have a setback on the blasters. I had some flexing and a seam shifted and broke apart. So I'm just gonna fill it as best I can, sand it smooth. Have something good enough for convention/event pictures until I can get the blaster I want.

« Reply #15 on: Aug 28, 2017, 01:26 PM »
Really starting to get somewhere fast. I've shifted my efforts to parts that need painting, since that requires drying time etc. The soft-parts can just be sewn together relatively quick and easy.

Body plates are all cut and ready for forming. Gonna practice a little on a scrap plate get my technique down.

Primed my blaster with filler-primer last night. Today I hit it with a coat of black primer. And if possible a coat of silver.

And hopefully I can get a knee pattern drafted and knees cut by tonight.

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 01, 2017, 03:21 PM »
Sounds great! Have you got any pics? And what type of blaster are you going for? I got a Westar 35 from Eternal Armory, and it's an amazingly well done and solid weapon. I'm also building an assault/sniper rifle from an old airsoft gun (gutted it so it can't fire).

« Reply #17 on: Sep 01, 2017, 09:02 PM »
Today I form the plates. I've been pouring over Jango pics since that is the plates I have. Seeing how they curve. Ultimately I'll do what I can to get them to conform as well as possible.

Sounds great! Have you got any pics? And what type of blaster are you going for? I got a Westar 35 from Eternal Armory, and it's an amazingly well done and solid weapon. I'm also building an assault/sniper rifle from an old airsoft gun (gutted it so it can't fire).

I do have pics. I am basically racing the clock to a convention. So posting them will have to wait. I'm posting this during a meal.

For now I'm just doing a quick and dirty job on a rubies Previsla W-35. I'm trying to get my hands on a Jyn Erso A180.

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 01, 2017, 10:04 PM »
Today I form the plates. I've been pouring over Jango pics since that is the plates I have. Seeing how they curve. Ultimately I'll do what I can to get them to conform as well as possible.

I do have pics. I am basically racing the clock to a convention. So posting them will have to wait. I'm posting this during a meal.

For now I'm just doing a quick and dirty job on a rubies Previsla W-35. I'm trying to get my hands on a Jyn Erso A180.

Keep on at it vod! Hope you get it done in time! I have a costume party coming up tomorrow, but my kit is nowhere near done, I don't even have plates cut out yet  :(

« Reply #19 on: Sep 14, 2017, 12:45 PM »
Got back from convention a few days ago. But I did get a little done.

I found shoes that should work well with my gaiters.

Also I masked my helmet and it's getting painted today if weather cooperates. The part that is blue on Jango's and red on Boba's helmet. I'm doing gold and then a matte clear coat to knock down the shine. It will still look like a nice gold, but it won't get blown out by lights and should be easy to photograph.

And I know I still need to get some pics up. I really will try and get some up soon.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!