Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Get'Al Aran Beskar'gam Revised

• 81 Replies

Evad

• Shereshoy
Get'Al Aran Beskar'gam Revised
« on: Aug 21, 2017, 08:13 PM »

Greetings ner'vode!

Welcome to the revised version of my legacy build.  I had about ten pages going of updates over the last two years as I've been making my way, slowly but surely through this first armor creation project.  A little while ago the image hosting site I was using decided to shoot itself in the foot, by extorting money from it's members without notice.  So, instead of going back and editing every single image in those threads, I decided to clean them up, condense my progression, and show you what I currently have on the table.  I've also edited my signature to reflect the new build pages, instead of relying on those out of date ones with the images that have fallen into the digital abyss. 

Backstory

Get'al Aran is the name for the armor I've picked, simply translated as Red Guard.  The meaning behind this is part of the character's backstory.  So here's a brief rundown about how this is playing out in my head.  This particular Mandalorian hails from the planet of Corellia where he was recruited into Corsec at an early age, becoming an officer in their ranks where he earned his stripes.  His career took a sharp turn once the Empire rose to power, and he transitioned into the ranks of the highly secretive, and highly loyal regiment of the Royal Guards.  He tested in the top of his class there, and rose to the rank of an Imperial Guard serving the Emperor.  However upon Palpatine's demise and the second time the Deathstar had blown up - he was left without a post.  Along come the Mandalorians, and in them he finds a new purpose, a new family, and a new loyalty.  While governments lapse, and empires fall - the Mandalorians live on. 

Thus, I have designed this legacy kit to reflect his heritage and his past by incorporating various themes of Corsec and the Imperial guards into a build that is going to tell his story of this warrior that eventually found his place among the stars.  I hope you enjoy it - as I am having a blast putting it together.

Updated Checklist

• Helmet - Painting
  • Flight Suit - Tailored
  • Vest - Tailored
  • Armor Plates - Partially cut and molded/Other parts in design phase
  • Gauntlets - Roughly formed and shaped, with hinges attached
  • Girth BeltPre-Design Phase
  • Cape - Measured and Cut, needs pleats.
  • Boots - Obtained
  • Gloves - Obtained
  • Kama - Re-Design Phase
  • Harness - Pre-Design Phase

Buy'ce

Originally I fell in love with the Stalker Helmet from NME Props.   After looking over the design, I decided to do a custom drawing and setup a challenge for them, that they readily accepted.

The Stalker

Custom Re-Design

From there, they went on to create the custom helmet, and it was well worth the wait.

Fabrication at NME Studios

Received the Bucket

Functionality

The bucket is beyond amazing, super high-quality casting, and very sturdy.  The next step was to do a test fit, and figure out a plan for wearing it properly.  After some discussion and trial and error, I ditched my first try (which was just foam inserts) and went with a hard-hat harness that would keep the bucket from weighing down and for ease of movement.

Blue arrow indicates the velcro I attached to all four points.

Below is the suspension rig that I purchased.

This is North by Honeywell 4 Point Ratchet system suspension rig.  Follow the link and you can purchase it, and even pick it up to try it on if there is a Grainger store around you. Their chat help on the site was very helpful in choosing the right one.  https://www.grainger.com/product/NORTH-BY-HONEYWELL-Replacement-Suspension-39T777?functionCode=P2IDP2PCP

Once that was done, I had taken a break for a while before meeting another vode in town, and we started getting to work again on this project.  Painting was next, and I already had my color-scheme in mind.  First up was the visor, which was going to be the main hallmark back to the days in the Imperial Royal Guard.  I found a paint-shop for vehicles do this this part for me, and it came out fantastic!

From there I went on to do some painting myself, and this is where the progress train has ran it's course for now.  Still, I'm digging how close I am to a fully wearable functional bucket!

First Pass Base Coat

Second Pass Base Coat

Then I started to mask off for the first coat afterwards.  I didn't do any wet masking to add weathering, but I plan on getting to that very soon.

And then for the second coat, I went with a metallic black finish.

And that's it for now folks.  Tune in next time when I add in the next edition to this new progress build thread.  I know they will likely be long and drawn out posts - simply to chronicle the two years I've been working on this - but it's a lot better than trying to fix all those photos.  I'll be getting these linked with the old threads so the followers can add this to their bookmarks and keep an eye out for upcoming additions.  Till next time vode, Oya!

« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2018, 12:08 AM by Evad » Logged

Boxception

• Cel'exa Klina'shel OM #1861
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions
Re: Get'Al Aran Revised
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2017, 09:27 PM »
Wow vod. Stunning. Simply stunning.  Bookmark for sure. 

PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW       Cel'exa Klina'shel OM #1861
MY WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=135464.msg1752482#msg1752482

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2017, 10:35 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the rest of this! 

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Og' Reh

• Ugliest Mandalorian you've ever seen!
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2017, 05:04 AM »
With that bucket, you sure set the high bar for the rest of the armor.
I'll be following for sure!

- My Lord! The field is lost! Army in disarray. This may be the end of the war...
- Desperate times need desperate measures... Call Mandalorians!
- Like... BOTH of them?

WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=105164.0
Bucket (complete): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=106492.msg1782976#msg1782976

Shevla Ram'ser

• Osik, they have a tank...
« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2017, 06:52 PM »
This is the best written and formatted post I've seen in a long time. Judging by that alone, your final armor is going to be something special. I look forward to it.

The custom bucket is awfully cool, as well.
Will you be including any sneaky vents into the nose/mouth area  along the seam of visor to cheeks to reduce fogging?

"If it's 'NERF or nothing' , I choose nothing..."

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2017, 10:40 AM »
This is the best written and formatted post I've seen in a long time. Judging by that alone, your final armor is going to be something special. I look forward to it.

The custom bucket is awfully cool, as well.
Will you be including any sneaky vents into the nose/mouth area  along the seam of visor to cheeks to reduce fogging?

Vor'e ner'vod.  I haven't actually worn the bucket enough to know if I'll even need that, but since the face plate does hinge upwards, I might not even need any vents, considering air can still flow through.  Though after wearing it for a while I'm sure I'll discover things that I don't quite know about now.

Draceline

• Angel of War
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Special Weapons
« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2017, 12:26 AM »
I cannot wait to see this kit fully built. That helmet alone is something to drool over.

"As Mandalorians, we don't need the Force.
But should you ever want it on your side, don't give it a choice:
Make the Force be with you."

Armor - Soft Parts - Buy'ce - Armory
MARS #47 | NOS #02 | LOB #18 | Draluram #8 | MAJIC #161

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #7 on: Aug 27, 2017, 11:15 PM »
3rd Painting Phase

Got to meet back with my local vod as we prepare our kits for eventually application and review.  He recently moved in to a new house, so we were getting his shop set back up.  In the meantime I did have time to do some more work on the helmet.  I had masked off a good section of it, in a few layers so that I could do the bright silver and crimson red.  Granted the results weren't as perfect as the last time, but that can all be taken care of during the weathering stage.  I did manage to put several spots on the helmet of wet masking before getting it painted.  You may notice some discolorations and smudges on the paint, that's actually the masking that I have yet to pull off. 

I did do some work on the earcaps as well, but even though I am using the same brand of paint (Rustoleum) it got some weird bubble sand defects in the paintjob, so we're gonna sand that down and see if Rub'n'buff will be a better solution.  The next part of this is going to be the base ridge in the back that will be black, and then I'll be doing some fine lines of silver and red and black on the cheeks and for the triangle pips at the top. 

I am also working on getting a vinyl for the right ear-cap that will show the symbol of Corsec while the other will have the rangefinder.  Very excited to see the bloodstripe now cleanly going through the middle.  I think it's really taking shape and I'm quite pleased. 

Evad

• Shereshoy
Re: Get'Al Aran Besgar'gam Revised
« Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2017, 11:56 PM »
Visor Test Fit

So while I wait for another opportunity to meet up with my local vod and do some touch ups to the paint job - I felt like showing everyone the combination of the visor and the helmet itself.  Since this is in two parts, most of what you've seen isn't really giving you the full picture.  So here is what it looks like as a test fit. 

Once I can get working on this again, I'm going to re-do the ear caps, paint the bottom ridge of the helmet, and then work on touching up the parts where the paint just didn't come together like I wanted. I'll also be adding accent colors to the cheeks, and the twin ridges that go to the back of the helmet.  I believe I'll also be darkening the bottom of the visor's curving ridge to give it more depth.  Then I can move onto weathering this.  The next two updates should be with a finished helmet.  So close!

Og' Reh

• Ugliest Mandalorian you've ever seen!
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2017, 02:56 AM »
I love what I see!

You plan some weathering on that? To be honest, at first glance I thought first pic was a color scheme made on computer in paint. It's so flawless, and the light makes so little flashes and shadows :)

- My Lord! The field is lost! Army in disarray. This may be the end of the war...
- Desperate times need desperate measures... Call Mandalorians!
- Like... BOTH of them?

WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=105164.0
Bucket (complete): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=106492.msg1782976#msg1782976

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #10 on: Sep 20, 2017, 04:07 PM »
Well hello again old friend, what have we here...
Looks great! Glad I found your new WIP. I actually took your advice on the imperial colored soft parts btw. Keep up the killer work!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

aforklikeutensil

• Porgiatrician
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2017, 10:17 PM »
Re-commenting to continue following along.  Still loving this project!

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2017, 11:10 PM »
Sadly, there has been no more movement on this project of mine.  The vod I had been working with no longer has the time to get together, at least for the rest of this year.  So I'll touch base after the new year and see if he's going to have the ability to continue working with me.   Take care everyone, and see you in the new year.

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2017, 07:54 AM »
If you need anything, let us know.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Kol Varek

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2017, 02:18 AM »
Try to reach out to local members vod, you're doing really well. If I can, I'll see if I can bug some clanmates, but I strongly recommend you get in contact with them yourself on the clan forum page  :D

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:33 PM »
Happy New Year to the vode.  Progress has laid dormant over the last few months, and that's okay.  Everyone needs a break eventually.  So for now things are shelved, but with the New Year, and with winter in full swing, I'm just waiting until it warms up enough.  My local vod has stated he's getting some more free time coming once it does warm up, and we can start up again in getting our kits progressing.  I'll be sure to update on any new developments as they come. 

**Update**

Today I found out that my company's corporate structure has been 'restructured' which was just code for downsizing, and laying a lot of people off.  Sadly I was included that decision, and now I am out of work.  So we'll see how long before I'm able to afford to continue in this project.  Hopefully I can find something stable soon enough to get me back on track without too much need to recover first.

« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2018, 10:14 PM by Evad » Logged

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2018, 11:39 PM »
Test Fit #2

Finally got around to putting on my flight suit, flak vest, gloves, boots, and helmet for another test shot.  On my first test fit, I had an untailored flak vest and flight suit.  It was very baggy and needed to be adjusted.  I also didn't have a helmet painted at that time.  There is still some sizable work to be done, as I need to work on the length of the legs while wearing the boots.  Granted a lot of this will be covered by armor, but I want it to look neat and not so sloppy.

The neck seal needs to be adjusted (as after the tailoring was done, it was made too big), but can be fixed with just a movement of velcro.  My arms will have gauntlets covering the contact between the sleeve and the glove.  I'll also have some bicep armor as well, so that'll help as well.  The pants section needs to be adjusted (that much I know).  The Corellian bloodstripe is not able to moved up unfortunately by myself.  I might have to get someone to actually sew them in higher up the legs.

aforklikeutensil

• Porgiatrician
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2018, 08:18 AM »
Looking good.  Glad you're still making progress on this.

Kol Varek

« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2018, 12:15 AM »
Even with gauntlets, I still recommend tailoring the arms and legs so they aren't baggy. You'll need to do something about the butt pockets as well, unless you plan on utilizing a kama, which would help. If those are oakley gloves that I see, those will need a handplate or something to cover the logo. It's a good place at the moment, looking good!

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #19 on: Mar 07, 2018, 07:32 PM »
Just found your build thread. There's got to be some Rancors near you to help out! Our Northeast section of the state has been jonesing for an armor party for quite some time now!

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Straka Zulu

« Reply #20 on: Mar 07, 2018, 09:31 PM »
Just found your build thread. There's got to be some Rancors near you to help out! Our Northeast section of the state has been jonesing for an armor party for quite some time now!

Yeah, we need to get one organized! 

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #21 on: Mar 07, 2018, 10:35 PM »
Yeah, we need to get one organized!

I just had another guy (who isn't on the forums) ask me if we could get one together. Let's see if we can really buckle down and make it happen!

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #22 on: Apr 08, 2018, 07:38 PM »
Painting Advice

I'm at a stage with my bucket where I'm starting to do detail work.  I used Rustoleum for all the spray paint, but now I wanted to go in with a few brushes and some paint to do the accents.  I found however several painting issues that I documented here to see if I can get some advice.  I know I can use weathering to do a lot of touch up and hide the mistakes.  However I'm looking for other suggestions as well. 

I used oil-based acrylic paint to do the accents, and it seems to smear and bleed, and not stick too well.   The bloodstripe down the center also bled over into other areas, that I don't quite know how to fix.  The earcaps were done twice now, and the silver still bubbles up, the same silver I used on either side of the bucket where the segmented sections are.  Still not sure what to do about those either. 

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Kol Varek

« Reply #23 on: Apr 08, 2018, 11:44 PM »
If you ask me, best way to hide stuff like that is weathering  ;) it looks good though!

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #24 on: Oct 24, 2018, 12:01 AM »
Pre-Weather Painting

I decided the bucket needed one more bit of pre-weather painting setup before I start in on weathering.  Nothing like a deadline to keep you motivated.  Since I'll be attending the first ever MercsCon in just two weeks time, I want my bucket looking as good as possible for photoshoots during that time.  It'll also be good to have other vode be able to look it over and give me some advice on the spot. 

The black cheeks look pretty good, and this weekend I plan to utilize the tips and tricks I got from various videos about helmet weathering (including Mand'alor's) and get some weathering stock from the nearby art supply shop and sit down and do some weathering on Saturday and then through the rest of the week.  All of that I can do at home with just putting some newspaper down and not having to worry about fumes.  Stay tuned folks!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!