Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First build WIP

• 28 Replies

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: First build WIP
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2018, 11:41 AM »
Your kit is looking pretty nice, there, vod.  It still needs a bit of tweaking, but you're making really good progress.  Your flak vest is really bunching up and looks baggy around your arms; you'll need to get that tailored a little more or at least secured better to make it fit tighter to your torso. The arms and legs of your flight suit look somewhat baggy, as well, and will need a bit more tailoring.

The ab plate needs to come up a bit.  The bottom of it needs to rest around your navel - at or slightly above - and can't hang off the bottom of your vest.  Also, the spacing between your collar and chest plates needs to be the same as the spacing between your chest and ab plates.  Currently the spacing is greater between your chest and abs.

Your pouch belt needs to be riding on your sash, not below it. 

I like your plan for your shoulder bells.  Should look pretty cool once you've got those added.  And your plan for your beskad is pretty kandosii, vod.  Keep up the good work.

Have you reached out to your clan mates in Falco Clan for any help? 

« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2018, 03:34 PM by Havelock » Logged
"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 16
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 02:59 AM »
Thanks a lot man! Yea the vest isnt baggy it actually fits very well. Just for this picture it was kind of thrown on. I see what you mean about the ab plate spacing, I shall take it up. This collar plate is not gonna work and have to make a new one. For my pouches you mean they need to sit higher up on my red cumberbun? I have met up with the falcos yes. I keep them update with my progress hahah thanks for the suggestions

Also I just bought these knee pads and was wondering if they would work. Ive seen a kit with these exact knees but painted. I would probably sand down the grooves, paint them and maybe add a plate over them.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 12:58 AM by Littlerumpa » Logged

Bowfanny

• GENERAL SHINANIGATOR
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 05:11 PM »
Thanks a lot man! Yea the vest isnt baggy it actually fits very well. Just for this picture it was kind of thrown on. I see what you mean about the ab plate spacing, I shall take it up. This collar plate is not gonna work and have to make a new one. For my pouches you mean they need to sit higher up on my red cumberbun? I have met up with the falcos yes. I keep them update with my progress hahah thanks for the suggestions

Also I just bought these knee pads and was wondering if they would work. Ive seen a kit with these exact knees but painted. I would probably sand down the grooves, paint them and maybe add a plate over them.

No,
They would have to be completely unrecognizable.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 05:40 PM »
If you get sore knees and or kneel a lot, those are excellent bases for using as they provide good padding. The do however have to be completely covered - no foam showing.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

WIP's: EC, Twi'lek, Demolitions

Slade Kel

• Formerly 'Slade Kel (Marrok)'
  • Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 08:19 PM »
You've made some great progress on your armor :D. I think you have the right of what Havelock was saying; the ammo belt and pouches are meant to sit over the girth-belt/waist sash/etcetera, which is what your red wrap thing is serving as. Definitely agree with Bow and Kris on those knees; anything you've seen like that before was likely a looooonnnnggg time ago or prior to being modified or simply not an official suit. Any real-world stuff has to be heavily modified, and that's been a thing for many years now.

QMU | M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2018, 12:34 AM »
Thanks a lot everyone for the kind words and advice you have all helped me progress so much.

So I cut this out for my knees. I will shape them this weekend and wrap the flanges back like with standard boba knees. I went with the layered pattern for my knees to match my heavy shoulder.

Here is my heavy shoulder, I haven't attached it to my vest yet but I plan on just attaching it to my shoulder flap via with velcro then maybe a strap underneath to help hold it in place.

Kol Var'Das

• Beanpole
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 01:39 PM »
I'll be interested to see how those knees go.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2018, 08:21 AM »
Those knees should be different enough to not look like shoulders stuck on your knees, but similar enough to fit the flow of the kit.

« Reply #23 on: Jun 04, 2018, 04:08 PM »
So I finished my knees, there is a little bit of black foam still showing on the top and bottom, is this going to be a problem? I was going to cut it away however I do not know the best tool to use for the job

Also I mounted my shoulder plates. I added a rough design on the chest with tape, I believe this will be the paint scheme I go with but am not certain yet. The cape is just there for placement not attached yet. Let me know what you think.

Kol Var'Das

• Beanpole
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #24 on: Jun 07, 2018, 11:37 AM »
Looks like it should work out fine, regarding the body plates. I'm gonna make a prediction and say the ab plate might need to be trimmed when it comes time to try it on. As for the knees, if the upper plate can be rolled back to cover, it might work.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #25 on: Jun 07, 2018, 08:52 PM »
Looks good to me too. Will echo Kol on the ab (potentially, hard to tell until you're actually wearing it) and the knees. If you can cover it so it isn't clear from the front, you're good to go. If not, definitely trim. A sharp razor knife will go through that foam with relative ease, like an exacto knife or the like.

« Reply #26 on: Jun 09, 2018, 01:25 PM »

Oya! I wet sanded the handle to make it look worn under the wrapping. I might add scratches and such to the blade but idk how does it look?
Looking to make a sheath next. something like this

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #27 on: Jul 03, 2018, 09:51 AM »
Hey there, I haven't been on in a few weeks due to con crunch, but I'm back :D. Some scratches for wear and tear on the blade would be a good touch, though it looks quite nice as is. That kind of rear-hanging sheath should work out just fine, just don't forget it's there if you go to sit down!

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #28 on: Jul 03, 2018, 03:37 PM »
I agree with Slade.  And you're making great progress, vod.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 16

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!