Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Sleep Sheeps Armor WIP

• 20 Replies
Sleep Sheeps Armor WIP
« on: Sep 11, 2017, 01:52 AM »
Hi my name is Mia. I'm a cosplayer from southern California and my boyfriend has gotten me to do a Mandalorian Armor. I just started my kit. This is the concept I made on mando maker.

I'm planing on using scrubs for the flight suit, and making my own vest. Is there any fabrics you recommend me using for the vest?
This is the armor I have so far. I still need my shoulders, my knees, and a segmented back plate.

I already started to shape the chest armor but, we were trying to avoid darting. We still had to do it in the end so, one has a dart already the other we are still working on.

It still need shaping but, now coming out a lot better. I still need to bondo it.
In order to make the chest plates fit better we had to move them down and space them out so we're adding a spacer plate. it's going to be between the collar plate and the breast plate.

My boyfriend painted my blaster so I have the first completed item which is my blaster!

As you can see I'm using the gold for my metallic base coat and this inky blue as my main colours. Also there is this greenish blue pearl paint that will be for accents and deigns.

We're still thinking about how we're going to make the gantlets. We might use PVC pipe or sintra  but, still not decided.
For the helmet, I'm very small. I tired my boyfriends which is a one to one and it was too big for me. So i was thinking of going with a Jango two piece helmet that we will modify and then upgrading when I have enough money.   

Any feed back will be appreciated and I'm looking forward to be part of this wonder community! 

Jun'yar Ikaad

• The mando formerly known as Bata Aden
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 75 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
Re: Sleep Sheeps Armor WIP
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2017, 01:54 AM »
Well your boyfriend sounds like a great guy   ;) haha Can't wait to see your progress

Erio J'uni

• Trust me. All you are to me is a paycheck!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 75 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2017, 02:58 AM »
So happy to see this happening!  You have a great start and Bata is a great set of hands to be in.  For the vest the go to is always duck cloth.  I used leather.  My only warning is do NOT use pleather/marine vinyl/upholstery vinyl.  You will bake to death in them.

MMCC #899 | B.O.M.B. #1 - The Bomb'alor | M.A.J.I.C. #132 | K.O.M.S. #17 | B.O.O.M. #11 | The IT-Mando Society #11 | Grey Brigade #59

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2017, 03:57 AM »
For a vest you really want a natural fabric that breathes. Leather, canvas, cotton/canvas mixes (duck cloth) and similar. Avoid pleather and anything containing elastane.

Do post pictures of the plates on you (a full torso shot in a tighter garment that's tucked into trousers that are not low ride do help immensely with figuring out plate positioning). Most people try to shape the chest plates at too low a point to begin with which can cause some of the hassle, getting them in the right place can make shaping a lot easier as they sit far higher than most people imagine.
If you do end up shifting the chest and ab plates down you will more than likely need to trim them down a fair bit. Just moving them down without adjustments will leave the torso plating too long and you will have no room for the rest of the cod/loin cloth and belts. Squishing them in so that they hang off the hip precariously is not ideal, especially if you have any substantial weight on the belt in pouches/holster etc. Take it from me bruised hips where you've had to tighten the belt just to keep it up is not fun :P

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Boxception

• Cel'exa Klina'shel OM #1861
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2017, 12:35 AM »
Id say your boyfriend has you in good hands!  Ill keep an eye out.... good luck

PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW       Cel'exa Klina'shel OM #1861
MY WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=135464.msg1752482#msg1752482

NanukIsCurious13

• She was Warned, nevertheless, She Persisted.
« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2017, 03:44 PM »
Looking good so far! Darting can be tricky, I've heard. You're a brave one for trying it!

Super excited to be here
Looking at starting my first kit
Any help is appreciated!!!!

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2017, 09:46 AM »
Look forward to seeing your progress! Out in sunny Southern California I always recommend duck cloth for your flight suit. 100% cotton if you can find it (Which can sometimes be tricky for some dumb reason). It's easier to work with and breaths better then duck cloth that is a blend. Also opens up some nice "weathering with fire" opportunities :D.

As Kris said, before you get too far along, let's see your plates on you so you can make any necessary adjustments now, when it's relatively painless.

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Jun'yar Ikaad

• Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 75 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #7 on: Sep 29, 2017, 08:54 PM »
Alrighty we did some more work shaping the armor today and I think it is looking a lot better! It was tough getting a proper test fit because we had was scotch tape lol, but here is what we got.

We also got  the cod and the shoulder bells cut out and shaped.  Along with a new chest diamond because the first one was wonky.

Looking at the armor I think there are some shaping fixes that need to be made for sure, and of course I need to fill in the darts. Im thinking about using epoxy to fill in and reinforce the bulk of the darts and then use bondo to smooth it out. Also I think the gap plates are definitely going to be necessary between the chest and neck armor.  We will be getting a Jango 2 Piece helmet soon so I can start modifying that  :D
Please let us know what y'all think ;D and any tips on filling in the darts would be appreciated

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #8 on: Sep 29, 2017, 09:40 PM »
Any chance we can get a more straight on shot? Either farther back or lower camera height? It's pretty difficult to judge ab placement from this one. That said, it looks really low, and you might need to trim down the sides of the top portion to get it up into proper position. She's definitely going to need another plate between her collar and chest though.

Also, her collar plate looks a tad wide. I'd suggest trimming about 1/4" off each side.

You're off to a great start!

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Vexos

• Because we must.
  • Awards 300 Troops Celebration Anaheim 2022 200 troops 250 Troops 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #9 on: Sep 29, 2017, 10:25 PM »
Great start vod.  Like dale said multiple pictures with different angles would be helpful. Id like to see what everything looks like once you get that filler plate in there. And you already know how I feel about those jango two pieces lol but seriously why a J2P?

Official Invasions: 265
Official Member #1132
Force Hunter/ Brigade Member #291
Manda'galaar Clan

Arctic Ops WIP:
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174054.msg2027502#msg2027502

Post Imperial WIP:
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=200180.0

Jun'yar Ikaad

« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 2017, 02:26 AM »
Any chance we can get a more straight on shot? Either farther back or lower camera height? It's pretty difficult to judge ab placement from this one. That said, it looks really low, and you might need to trim down the sides of the top portion to get it up into proper position. She's definitely going to need another plate between her collar and chest though.

Also, her collar plate looks a tad wide. I'd suggest trimming about 1/4" off each side.

You're off to a great start!
Yeah the tape wouldn't hold the ab plate higher plus the shirt was a bit loose. I don't know when we'll be able to take pictures again but I'll take picture from more angles next time . Yeah I think you're right about the collar but it might be that it needs reshaping so I'll try that first but most likely I'll trim it .
Great start vod.  Like dale said multiple pictures with different angles would be helpful. Id like to see what everything looks like once you get that filler plate in there. And you already know how I feel about those jango two pieces lol but seriously why a J2P?
Yeah I'm gonna work on making a filler plate so we can test it next time we take pictures.
I know I'm not a fan of the J2P either but she is small and most buckets would be too big . Also cost is a big factor. But if anyone has suggestions on where to get a smaller bucket that's affordable that'd be great haha

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2017, 06:19 AM »
I'm not sure you will need the extra plate/ The collar actually looks a little too high (do you know how little I say that) If that drops half an inch and the chest plates can be pulled up half an inch you may find the gap is about right. Pull the ab up to match that top gap and trim to fit.
If you add the spacer you'll  likely need to take half an inch or so off the bottom of the ab to account for the lowered chest plates.

A tiny bit taken off the outer edges of the collar and the upper chest pates will also give a little more freedom of movement and that can be very useful on long troops.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Vexos

• Because we must.
  • Awards 300 Troops Celebration Anaheim 2022 200 troops 250 Troops 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #12 on: Sep 30, 2017, 10:51 PM »
Check out that M5 bucket. Its a good size, good quality and not too expensive. Ask Kryamla to let you check out hers next time you see her

Official Invasions: 265
Official Member #1132
Force Hunter/ Brigade Member #291
Manda'galaar Clan

Arctic Ops WIP:
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174054.msg2027502#msg2027502

Post Imperial WIP:
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=200180.0

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
« Reply #13 on: Oct 01, 2017, 07:48 AM »
The M5 is a great choice (you might have to message Dah directly about it. I don't see his sales thread anymore in the trading post), or NME sells a small Mercenary. Both are similarly priced iirc.

Jun'yar Ikaad

« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2017, 12:16 AM »
Alright! Shaping has been a challenge. But we went to an Armor party and got some great help!
So here is where we are with the armor.

I think it is looking pretty good. It is really hard to get a test fit with duct tape haha. The belly plate just did not want to stay in place.
I think the armor is almost ready for paint just a few minor things to tweak and smooth out.
She has also been playing around with the paint scheme and this is where she has it right now. Using a rose gold for the yellow.

Let me know what you guys think  :D

Kris Jasra

« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2017, 06:42 AM »
How do the very edge points of those chest plates fit? I've had a couple of my clan be pulled for those not curving enough with the body.

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2017, 04:02 PM »
For some reason in my mind, I had commented on this a while ago but it appears I didn’t... so my apologies on that!

Anyway, you’ve got some good progress done! You may need to bring up that ab plate as the spacing is bigger than the collar to chest plates. However you’ll know for sure once your vest is done :)

And I agree with that kris is saying about the edge of the plates, they may need a bit of curving or trimming (maybe? I’ll have to see them in person)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Jun'yar Ikaad

« Reply #17 on: Nov 15, 2017, 02:26 AM »
Thanks for the feedback y'all! Yeah the chest plates do need to be shaped in on the sides. At the armor party we got the sides to sit nicely but maybe it's the bra she is wearing that makes the plates sit differently? Does that make a difference usually? Either way we'll fix the shaping on that  :D
We will definitely be fixing the spacing of belly plate.
Unfortunately we will not be able to make the next AP  :'( The gf has to work. Maybe if I can get the gf to wrangle for a troop we can tweak the shaping haha

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
« Reply #18 on: Nov 15, 2017, 08:09 AM »
Bra can deffinately affect how the plates shift. Most femando's i know find their most comfortable bra, and make that their trooping bra. That's what they shape their plates to, make their vest to, etc. And there-after, it only gets worn for trooping.

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #19 on: Nov 15, 2017, 09:33 AM »
Bra can deffinately affect how the plates shift. Most femando's i know find their most comfortable bra, and make that their trooping bra. That's what they shape their plates to, make their vest to, etc. And there-after, it only gets worn for trooping.

Yup, this ^^^

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Jun'yar Ikaad

« Reply #20 on: Nov 16, 2017, 02:40 AM »
Good to know! I'll talk to her and have her choose a trooping bra haha and then we'll tweak the shaping to that

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!