Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Mando build WIP, first time working with Sintra

• 29 Replies
Re: First Mando build WIP, first time working with Sintra
« Reply #15 on: Sep 27, 2016, 11:05 AM »
Collar looks good to me!  As far as trimming, I personally find it easier to trim off the outside as opposed to the inside.  Doesn't look like you need much, just a little at a time until everything lines up correctly.  :)

Thank you! That is the plan. Going to wait to do final fine edge trimming until I get some velcro sewn on. Once I have the velcro on there for precise spacing adjustments, I'll know exactly how much I need to trim, if anything.

I actually went to a hybrid mounting system, due to the fact that the Chicago screws and eyelets had a bit of play in them that made exact spacing somewhat of an issue. Now the tops of the chest plates are fastened with the screws, then using velcro on the middle and bottom sides to enable spacing.

I had some hiccups on my planned gaunts, the plastic of the toilet brush holders doesn't seem to want to take glue or epoxy to fasten the plastic clips I was going to use for the elastic. Which is why I was asking you about your gaunts. Testing to see if I can even glue Sintra to the toilet brush holder piece right now, if that doesn't work I'll have to use the brush holder as a buck on which to shape sintra into a cylinder, and just make the gaunt directly out of sintra. Which really I was trying to avoid, but you know what they say about the best laid plans of gdans and Mandos...

"The Cabal centurion opened up on her at point-blank, and we heard the most fearsome sound. She was laughing." - Monitor Type 2 Titan armor

"Only the armor lasts" - RC 8015, Fi Skirata
OM#2184

Eitanya

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians
« Reply #16 on: Sep 27, 2016, 12:17 PM »
oh my original gauntlet plan didn't work either, hence the elastic.  Make it work!   ;D

« Reply #17 on: Apr 30, 2017, 07:03 PM »
I'm working on this project again, my apologies for the long delay, had a lot of IRL stuff going on and was not motivated to craft.

In any case, on the Gauntlets, I sort of had an epiphany; I tend to over-complicate everything.  I spent a lot of time trying to make a two-piece left gaunt construction. Then I had the realization that uhh, I didn't really need to do a two-piece. Some proper internal padding, and the gaunt would fit fine as two halves glued together. I didn't need to make it harder than that. Don't get me wrong, I want to make something cool and unique, but this is my first build, and I was throwing out a design that was perfectly serviceable in order to make a "unique" opening and closing method that for now, is unnecessary.

So for now I am reverting to a one-piece design for the left gaunt. And a half bracer gaunt with a mounted vibro-blade on the right arm (extendable, but manual. I know blades that shoot out automatically are a hard no for approval) .

Left arm base looks like this:

Right arm base, with early blade. Blade will have a full housing and will sit on the upper half of the forearm, secured with straps and worn over a leather arm wrap.

I'm still going to bulk up the left arm to conform to the original design, but going to try to keep things under a tighter leash. I can always upgrade the armor later as I get better and have more time to work on the design.

"The Cabal centurion opened up on her at point-blank, and we heard the most fearsome sound. She was laughing." - Monitor Type 2 Titan armor

OM#2184
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 08:38 PM »
The housing is starting to take shape. Also gives you an idea of the extending blade length.

OM#2184
« Reply #19 on: Jun 14, 2017, 04:16 PM »
Vibroblade has been painted with a drybrush layering technique to bring out a metallic look, and center bar has been given a very thin coat of gray acrylic that still shows metallic streaks showing through the gray.

Now I'm waiting on some good weather to apply a clearcoat to seal, then I will glue it into the bottom part of the mounting piece. I am painting the blade beforehand because once it is glued in, I plan to enclose it and will no longer have unrestricted access to the part to paint it.

OM#2184
« Reply #20 on: Jul 05, 2017, 09:36 AM »
Created a "plunger" mechanism to get the vibroblade extension started.  This allows me to place one finger on the back release button, press down, and push the center bar outward with my thumb.

Also made the rough version of the top cover, I will trim down the back end by about a centimeter or so to save weight. Due to the sintra having a bit of thickness to it, luckily I will be able to have a flush top side with a minimum of bondo after gluing the top cover in place.

OM#2184
« Reply #21 on: Aug 15, 2017, 09:10 AM »
Okay, so I had a friend over to help me take a full body pic of everything as I have it now. This is kind of a test shot to see how everything is looking and to help me identify issues. This is the first time I've actually tried everything on at the same time. It's missing several things and there are issues which are not correct in the pics, and he didn't know to correct them as he was just helping me take pics haha.

I would like some feedback on how everything is looking so far. Obviously everything is unpainted and undyed.

Missing:
Cape/cloak
Vibroblade on right gaunt
Additional armor layer on left gaunt/shoulder plate
Correct boots/spats
Correct gloves/forearm wraps
Actual strapping on thigh/shin plates, left gaunt
Helmet has no earcaps/viewfinder installed yet

Needs adjustment/spacing:
Posture is terrible
Pouches are misaligned and lacking an accent plate
Girth belt isn't at correct height
Neckplate is pulled back too far, will be flatter in final
Chest diamond missing, chest plates need better alignment

Things I learned:
Suiting up is HARD solo.
Need to suit up from feet upwards.
I am going to NEED suspenders probably lol. There is a lot of weight on the pants, maybe this will change after strapping.
There is surprisingly little freedom of movement.
It is a sweat factory. Buckets off to all you brave troopers enduring the elements!

Criticism is much appreciated.

« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2017, 10:40 AM by Hiryu02 » Logged

OM#2184

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #22 on: Aug 15, 2017, 09:48 AM »
So far, it's looking good. You do  have some spacing issues that I'd like to point out, though. Your collar is making a weird triangle shape between it and your chest plates, so you may need to do a little trimming to even out that gap. You also have some uneven spacing between your ab plate and your chest plates, with the gap on the left(camera right) being significantly larger than the gap on the right(camera left). Your gaps between your chest plates are off as well, with the top being narrower than the bottom. It's probably just a crooked plate, which once it's fixed, will correct at least the last two gap issues.

Your shin plates either need to come down further, or need to be trimmed down, as the knees are sitting on top and overlapping them. Unless, of course, you're planning on doing schnees, at which point I'd suggest beefing up the connection between them, as right now they just look like knees overlapping shin plates. I'd also suggest adding boot plates, as t me, it looks like something is missing, and I think the addition of boot plates would fix that.

Aside from those things, it's looking good, vod. Well done.

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017
« Reply #23 on: Aug 15, 2017, 10:40 AM »
So far, it's looking good. You do  have some spacing issues that I'd like to point out, though. Your collar is making a weird triangle shape between it and your chest plates, so you may need to do a little trimming to even out that gap. You also have some uneven spacing between your ab plate and your chest plates, with the gap on the left(camera right) being significantly larger than the gap on the right(camera left). Your gaps between your chest plates are off as well, with the top being narrower than the bottom. It's probably just a crooked plate, which once it's fixed, will correct at least the last two gap issues.

Your shin plates either need to come down further, or need to be trimmed down, as the knees are sitting on top and overlapping them. Unless, of course, you're planning on doing schnees, at which point I'd suggest beefing up the connection between them, as right now they just look like knees overlapping shin plates. I'd also suggest adding boot plates, as t me, it looks like something is missing, and I think the addition of boot plates would fix that.

Aside from those things, it's looking good, vod. Well done.

Thank you, sir. I do have fixes planned for the listed issues:

Collar plate is actually pulled back too tight, causing the raise at the bottom. Correcting this with some velcro to have it lay flat and space out properly.

Ab/chest plate spacing, and chest plate spacing in general is crooked plates. I have them on with velcro/chicago screws so a little repositioning should fix the spacing. My friend didn't know to tell me the spacing was wrong, should be fixed by the time I do app pics.

The shin plates are shknees. I will bondo the seam in front, and fiberglass the internal joint for strength. The shknees are still rough but will be cleaned up significantly.

I will have boot plates as well, buying a new set of boots for this, as the first pair I got ended up as work boots lol.

I thank you very much for the feedback and criticism.

OM#2184

Zarya Arthos

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #24 on: Aug 15, 2017, 07:04 PM »
Ha! Yes, suit up feet first!

Your left gauntlet looks much longer than the right, though you might still be tweaking them. It's mostly spacing issues, which is kind of the biggest pain to get "just right". Plates look to be the right size on you, so you're coming along fine.

I think your posture is ok, just let your arms hang by your side next time.

Looking for mirrored visors? Click Here!
« Reply #25 on: Aug 15, 2017, 08:38 PM »
Yes, attempting to bend at the waist after putting on the vest and belts I quickly discovered was no go lol.

The gaunts being unevenly sized is actually intentional. The left gaunt will be a full clamshell, built up with extra plates and should look noticeable "better armored" once done. The right gaunt is a half-shell type over the top and sides, and will mount an extending vibroblade.

The main thing I was hoping to get was feedback if everything was sizing up correctly, and you say that they appear to be the right size, which is great, I can proceed on next steps knowing I don't have to make big changes to trim/size etc, just worry about fit and finish.

Thank you so much for the reply.

OM#2184
« Reply #26 on: Dec 16, 2017, 02:09 PM »
After a frantic crunch to finish by the Thursday premiere of TLJ, I have mostly finished the build in total. It is in a wearable state, but needs added touched before app pics. I just wanted to share my progress so far. This is the first time I have ever finished a costume and gotten it to a wearable, finished (almost) state.

Unfortunately I was unable to get pics taken at the movie on Thursday due to the amazing amount of people and that I was actually almost late to the movie. I will go again this weekend and hopefully will have another chance to take pics. It was surprisingly comfortable to wear after everything.

Still need to weather the cape, finish weathering the vibroblade gaunt, perhaps adjust heavy gaunt to give me more bend at the elbow. I also want to make a larger shoulder plate to go over the cloak, as shown in my original concept.

I'll be working on this through the weekend, but it is at least wearable and ready for non-official trooping.

OM#2184

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 16, 2017, 02:36 PM »
Looking good vod! I'm off to see TLJ this afternoon, but unfortunately my kit's nowhere near done. Still hyped for the movie though.

« Reply #28 on: Dec 16, 2017, 04:34 PM »
Thanks man, hoping to get it ready 100% soon. I quite enjoyed the movie, hope you do as well.

OM#2184

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2017, 08:26 PM »
Thanks man, hoping to get it ready 100% soon. I quite enjoyed the movie, hope you do as well.

Awesome! And the movie was amazing, IMO it's the best modern Star Wars to date, though TFA was decent and Rogue One was really good.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!