Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Armor Build for my good friend

• 30 Replies

Yogi

Armor Build for my good friend
« on: Sep 19, 2017, 07:30 PM »
My good buddy Jacob saw one of my scratch built Helmets and decided that he wanted a full kit. I came up with the idea of having him and a few others with matching paint schemes to my kit to form some sort of Mando Squad. He's not on the forums yet, but I wanted to document the build just in case he wants to become OM someday.

So I started with a scratch build of a helmet from cardboard, a HD bucket, fiberglass and hardhat. The original bucket build is here:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=121863.msg1642126#msg1642126
I modified it a bit by adding vents in the back and changing the paint scheme. I still need to add ears and a range finder

Armor Cut out, physical damage applied and test fit/shaping

These are a couple of the concepts we had, played around with a couple of ideas. I ultimately chose to go with a lot of the ideas he had in his black and white drawing, but he's given me free reign as to what to do creatively

Paint and weathering goes on. I used a combination of physical damage, tooth paste masking, topical scratches with a metallic paint pen, misting for a carbon scouring effect, cinnamon for rust and grim in the crevices

Currently out of sintra, will come back to this build in a few weeks. Afterwards we will move on to soft parts

MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Armor Build for my good friend
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2017, 10:28 AM »
Very well done, I imagine your friend is very excited.

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2017, 06:01 PM »
Perfection.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Gunslinger - Special Weapons Brigade
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Og' Reh

• Ugliest Mandalorian you've ever seen!
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2017, 11:28 AM »
That guy had a lot of close combat predatory encounters! ;)

I really like how you work that damage in!

- My Lord! The field is lost! Army in disarray. This may be the end of the war...
- Desperate times need desperate measures... Call Mandalorians!
- Like... BOTH of them?

WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=105164.0
Bucket (complete): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=106492.msg1782976#msg1782976

Tek Sa'an

• OM #1005 - QMU #007 - Vinyl'alor
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events Order of the Ori'Ramikad 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2017, 05:01 PM »
Wow! That's fantastic weathering. Very nice work.

ORI’RAMIKAD 2020 | OM #1005 | QMU #007 | VINYL'ALOR | IG-85736

Yogi

« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2017, 11:30 AM »
Started scratch building his left gauntlet, ordered some more sintra, plan to build the bottom half this weekend

MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2017, 11:52 AM »
Is that a Nokia keypad? He'll be practically invincible!

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Gunslinger - Special Weapons Brigade
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Yogi

« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2017, 12:12 PM »
Is that a Nokia keypad? He'll be practically invincible!

Yes its from a nokia 5300 lol
https://www.cnet.com/products/nokia-5300-xpress-music/review/

MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

Yogi

« Reply #8 on: Oct 09, 2017, 11:29 AM »
Finished the gauntlets and created some earpieces for his helmet

added a decal to his shoulder bell

created Range finder

« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2017, 12:53 PM by Yogi » Logged
MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

GraTuaVerd

• #2053 - The Muscle Merc
« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 2017, 11:48 AM »
Very well done, I imagine your friend is very excited.

I VERY much am. I am on the forums now so I can start the road to becoming OM>

Yogi

« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2017, 10:23 AM »
I got the ear caps mounted. Im using Neodymium magnets plus steel nuts in the ear cap so that the ear piece is easily removable for upgrades or future touch ups/repaints.

We also started shaping the back plate ( which we will revisit) and Gra'Tua got to try on the armor for the first time with a paint job :)

We decided to go with a sleeveless mando look. We just needed to finish shaping the back plate and the shin/knee armor, then we will be finished with hard parts and move on to the soft parts and accessories. For our squad we plan to have matching blades that a friend of Gra'Tua will make for us.

MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2017, 03:30 PM »

Awesome kit!!  Your work is superb, love the weathering and colour scheme.  Looking forward to how you weather the soft parts.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 84
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2017, 11:50 PM »
Looks great!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Yogi

« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2017, 04:10 PM »
so we have decided to go with a black vest and grey jumpsuit, we tested out those colors this past weekend. Gra'Tua did some work on his blaster and I told him that he could have my old MOW gloves that are too small for me. We worked on shaping his back plate some more and created some Shnees for him

MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

Tek Sa'an

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events Order of the Ori'Ramikad 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2017, 04:24 PM »
Are you using actual cinnamon for weathering purposes?

Yogi

« Reply #15 on: Oct 24, 2017, 10:47 AM »
Are you using actual cinnamon for weathering purposes?

Yes. I use it to simulate red rust/clay dirt. The muck on his shins is a mix of soil from my driveway and cinnamon. I dab a bit of clear glue and then sprinkle on the cinnamon.

You can see it here on my v2 kit

MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: Oct 24, 2017, 12:04 PM »
Yes. I use it to simulate red rust/clay dirt. The muck on his shins is a mix of soil from my driveway and cinnamon. I dab a bit of clear glue and then sprinkle on the cinnamon.

Ingenious idea.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 84
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Tek Sa'an

« Reply #17 on: Oct 24, 2017, 12:26 PM »
I was just going to say that! Very ingenious. You surely have to smell a little like cinnamon even after the glue dries. The cinnamando...lol.

Yogi

« Reply #18 on: Nov 10, 2017, 12:30 PM »
Finished the Backplate, so now all of the armor pieces are complete

His Jumpsuit came in, we cut the sleeves off

He plans on ordering his flak vest, and then it will be time to put it all together

MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #19 on: Nov 10, 2017, 12:46 PM »
How are you planning to do the coverage that isn't gauntlet from the end of the new short sleeves to the wrist?  Cannot have exposed skin on arms.  You ARE allowed to have a contrasting sleeve color.

Edit--- My apologies.  Did not understand this was an option.  Sorry for any stress or confusion I caused!

« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2017, 10:46 AM by Sep Ho'ban » Logged

Tek Sa'an

« Reply #20 on: Nov 10, 2017, 01:04 PM »

We have a sleeveless Mando in Arqet - Sato Kratt. There are a few out there.

Yogi

« Reply #21 on: Nov 10, 2017, 01:30 PM »
How are you planning to do the coverage that isn't gauntlet from the end of the new short sleeves to the wrist?  Cannot have exposed skin on arms.  You ARE allowed to have a contrasting sleeve color.

Short Sleeves are allowed, several OM with short sleeves, CRLs don't mention short sleeved flight suits being prohibited. The only place skin showing is mentioned is in the neck area between Helmet and Flight suit/vest, which requires a neck seal

MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

Garretjax

• OM# 1999
« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2017, 07:54 PM »
Looking good,any news on getting the vest???

« Reply #23 on: Nov 10, 2017, 09:12 PM »
I was just going to say that! Very ingenious. You surely have to smell a little like cinnamon even after the glue dries. The cinnamando...lol.
different spices will get different textures; i paprika for a more fresh rust look. a year later and the pipboy i used it on still has the sent to it :P

on the sleeveless thing, wasn't there montross who only had short sleeves to his kit?

Yogi

« Reply #24 on: Nov 11, 2017, 04:08 PM »
different spices will get different textures; i paprika for a more fresh rust look. a year later and the pipboy i used it on still has the sent to it :P

on the sleeveless thing, wasn't there montross who only had short sleeves to his kit?

Yes Montross was sleeveless

MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!