Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First kit

• 38 Replies

Cabur Tal

• When you don't know what to do... Look menacing.
First kit
« on: Sep 23, 2017, 02:51 PM »
So, this is my first suit and I was hoping to get some opinions on it.
First off, I do not have a flight suit. I am currently using a black turtleneck and black jeans under my armor. I will fix that.

I have since fixed the light blue by the shoulders.

I am a little concerned about my flak vest. I made it by stitching two pieces of leather together, and it does work, but if anyone has any comments or tips please let me know.

I have also trimmed the visible leather on the back.

In Other News (ION): I am working out a new belt design, I am going to improve the foot plates, and I'm planning on adding a back-sheath for a sword.

Thanks!

Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur. - Today is a good day for someone else to die.

You can fight for power, wealth, or glory, but I fight for family.
You threaten my family, I rob you from yours.

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: First kit
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2017, 05:40 PM »
Great start! Love your enthusiasm and the color scheme! Just a few things you'll need if you're seeking official membership

- Your chest plates are a bit too big, especially the collar. You want the edges of your chest plates to line up with the edge of the collar. Your back plate is also much too large Here are some lines of approximate trimmings to make on the upper plates. You'll also have to trim your chest or ab to have uniform spacing.

- It's hard to see because it's dark, but your shins are also looking too long. Unless you are going for a "shnees" setup, they must sit below your knee to make room for the mandatory knee plate (which you are also missing currently).

- Currently I only see one pouch belt. You will also need a girth belt or sash to sit under it.

- Your current weapon is obviously a toy and is not CRL compliant. You'll have to modify it to look more "swarzy"

- You said you don't have a flightsuit yet, but I just wanted to let you know that if you wanted you could do a two piece instead if you aren't digging a one piece. Both pieces just have to match in color and appear to be one piece while you are in kit. Your current jeans and turtleneck would not be sufficient, but you could also look into a pair of scrubs, which a lot of mandos use.

Overall great work! I know it sounds like a lot of fixes but they are all pretty simple. Best of luck, vod!

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

Cabur Tal

« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2017, 03:11 PM »
Thanks for the tips and comments! As far as the body armor goes, I'm not sure I'll be able to trim the plates due to where the rivets are. Maybe I could trim the plates like you suggested but leave a tab where the rivets are. Then I could paint the tabs black to make them blend with the flight suit. Just a thought.

As far as the shin plates go, I tried to design them as shnees. Are these pics any clearer?

I'm also thinking that I should paint the knee portions gold to make them stand out more.
If I have to, I can do a knee plate.

I am planning on adding a black sash at the waist and turning my ammo belt around (the thing with the gold flaps), and underneath the ammo belt I'm planning on having a regular belt to hang holsters and knives from.
Also, I'm not exactly clear on what you mean by the one belt pouch. Are you talking about the black pouch hanging from the back-plate, or the grey leather bag that I'm using as a holster?

I'll see what I can do to my weapons (I have three blasters) to make look more "swarzy" (fun word, I like it), if you have any suggestions, let me know. I can post pictures of the other two blasters if it would help.

Flight suit wise, it's just a matter of finding something to fit me without being baggy. I'm tall and thin.

Again, thanks for the input!

K'oyacyi, ret'urcye mhi. - Stay alive, maybe we'll meet again.

Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur. - Today is a good day for someone else to die.

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2017, 03:45 PM »
So in their current state, your shnees are not CRL compliant. They can't just be elongated shins, you need to see a semblance of a knee in their even though it's attached if that makes sense. Try browsing other people's builds and the "new member welcome post" in the lounge. I'm sure you'll find some good examples.

As for your collar and black, I don't think just disguising the plates will be sufficient enough. You'll have to detach them, trim, and re-rivet most likely.

And by pouch belt I meant your entire ammo belt. You just need a girth or sash under it. The single pouch you have hanging off of it is fine.

For making your blasters more swarzy, check out the weapons sub thread. Lots of great modifications in there. I'll link it

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

Cabur Tal

« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2017, 05:32 PM »
Vor'e, vod! Thanks!

« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2017, 12:21 AM »
Looks like you are starting to make a great kit .I think the kit could benefit from some weathering, black washing and maybe brushing with some chalk or graphite. The sizing has already been. The cross on your right shoulder bell ; the lines are a bit wavy. Try masking it off with tape next time. Overall you've done great work so far , keep it up man!

Cabur Tal

« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2017, 11:34 AM »
Thanks. The cross was done freehand, that's why it's wavy.
As for weathering, I'm very much a rookie, so I'll see what I can do.

« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2017, 04:26 PM »
Don't be afraid to ask, everyone is here to help you succeed.

Cabur Tal

« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2017, 06:32 PM »
You got it! Thanks!

Dha'werd

• Dha'werd Oya'karir
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2017, 02:14 PM »
Hi vod.
Great job, I like the color scheme, according to Jenga, you need to cut the chest plates.
the flight suit can be two pieces.
Armor vest needs to be improved, maybe a color that contrast.
the back plate, improve thermoforming.

Remember, the straps on the thigh plates should have the same color as the flight suit.

paint rivets of the same color of the plates.
hide the laces of the boot
maybe cut the edges of Shnees, vader style

photos of the helmet in more detail will be needed  ;)

I admire your dedication, good luck  ;D

Cabur Tal

« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2017, 09:03 PM »
Sounds like I have some work to do.
The back plate might be the hardest part. As for the flak vest, I think I'll have to make a new one. the current one is open-sided. Come to think of it, I might just have to make a new set of body armor. At least I'll have to rebuild it with the pieces I can save.
The straps can be easily repainted, as can the rivets. Cutting the shnees should be no problem as well.

I do worry about problems with the body armor as that is the most complex part of the armor, but if it has to be done then it has to done. I'll do my best.

As for the helmet, I'll get some pictures put up soon. Not that I need anyone to tell me that it needs work, I can see that pretty clearly.  :laugh:  But it works for now. I'll learn and improve for future kits.

Thanks, vod!

{UPDATE 10/2/17}

Here are those bucket pics you wanted, Enock.

Although, I wonder if they should be in the helmet section?

Anyway, there you go. I hope they're sufficient. If not, I can take more.

{UPDATE 10/4/17}

I've adjusted the body armor a bit. Here are the new pics.

I know the thermoforming is still off on the backplate.

And I will paint the rivets.

More updates to come on the leg armor and waist sash.

« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2017, 09:23 PM by Cabur Tal » Logged

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
« Reply #11 on: Oct 05, 2017, 07:17 PM »
Much better sizing!!!

That middle part of the top of your backplate may need to be shaped just a bit more, but everything else is looking good.

Cabur Tal

« Reply #12 on: Oct 06, 2017, 11:37 AM »
Thanks! I'm still not sure if I can fix the shaping for the backplate. I'm thinking that I might have to make a slit on each side to allow me to bend the center part in some more. If you have any tips for making the backplate of my next kit let me know. I've got an ambitious end goal and I want to be ready.

Time to get back to work! Thanks again!

Dha'werd

• Dha'werd Oya'karir
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #13 on: Oct 06, 2017, 12:19 PM »
hi vod
Yes it is a good start in the helmet, but if it needs to be better finished
especially the edge of the cheeks :D

regards

Sounds like I have some work to do.
The back plate might be the hardest part. As for the flak vest, I think I'll have to make a new one. the current one is open-sided. Come to think of it, I might just have to make a new set of body armor. At least I'll have to rebuild it with the pieces I can save.
The straps can be easily repainted, as can the rivets. Cutting the shnees should be no problem as well.

I do worry about problems with the body armor as that is the most complex part of the armor, but if it has to be done then it has to done. I'll do my best.

As for the helmet, I'll get some pictures put up soon. Not that I need anyone to tell me that it needs work, I can see that pretty clearly.  :laugh:  But it works for now. I'll learn and improve for future kits.

Thanks, vod!

{UPDATE 10/2/17}

Here are those bucket pics you wanted, Enock.

Although, I wonder if they should be in the helmet section?

Anyway, there you go. I hope they're sufficient. If not, I can take more.

{UPDATE 10/4/17}

I've adjusted the body armor a bit. Here are the new pics.

I know the thermoforming is still off on the backplate.

And I will paint the rivets.

More updates to come on the leg armor and waist sash.

Cabur Tal

« Reply #14 on: Oct 06, 2017, 04:29 PM »
No problem.
Which edges are you referring to? I know the top edges are uneven, the right side (pic left) is more rounded, while the left side (pic right) is more straight-edged and angular.
And I'm assuming that I'll need to do more sanding over the whole thing.

This is why one must take ones time when making their suit. There's always something to improve.

Thanks, vod!

BLUERAM

• Awards 300 Troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 250 Troops 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #15 on: Oct 17, 2017, 01:01 PM »
Very nice start, great improvements, keep up the good work toward approval.

Cabur Tal

« Reply #16 on: Oct 20, 2017, 05:27 PM »
Will do!

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #17 on: Oct 24, 2017, 07:48 AM »
You've got a pretty nice kit to start with here man, good work so far! You've already received quite a bit of good feedback as well on directions you can go to meet CRL levels, so I won't repeat anything that's been said  ;)

A couple things I recommend;

1) You already mentioned a sash, I highly recommend a sash or some type of girth belt. It really helps bridge the gap between your abdominal plate and your belt. I'd also recommend not doing a black one, since your flightsuit is black, it would disappear against the rest of it. A girth/sash give you a chance to throw some color in and break things up a bit. Boba Fett is a good example with his red girth belt he has >>

2) For the flightsuit, unfortunately for skinny guys like us it's not the easiest finding something that fits properly  :laugh:  I use a simple coverall, but I had to have the legs taken-in to reduce the bagginess. So more then likely you'll have to do some alterations if you use something similar.

One thing you could look into that might work better is getting something like scrubs. That would be two pieces (top and bottom) instead of a single piece flightsuit, but that makes it easier to get in and out of, which is nice  :P But the nice bit about scrubs is you can usually get them closer to your body size, and there's lots of color option available. Just avoid any of the scrubs pants with cargo pockets.

Cabur Tal

« Reply #18 on: Oct 25, 2017, 01:43 PM »
Thanks for the input, Vhett Naast.
1) I wonder if a blue sash would work?
2) I'll see if I can find a set of scrubs in my size. And roger on the "no cargo pockets".

ION: Here's my latest update. Sorry about the delay.

Shnees.

Right shnee.

Left shnee.

Ammo belt.

I gave it a belt buckle to replace the straps I'd been using. (Which you can see running from just underneath the belt)
I probably should paint it too.

Thanks again!

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #19 on: Oct 29, 2017, 01:14 AM »
Shnees are looking good  8)  But i'm biased towards them..... :laugh:

Yeah I'd agree, blue would probably look good for the sash/girth.

Cabur Tal

« Reply #20 on: Oct 29, 2017, 02:39 PM »
Ok then.  :D
I'll get some updated full kit pictures up soon.

Sto-Las Amari

• Never stop fighting for what you believe in
  • Awards 40+ hrs Charity Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #21 on: Oct 30, 2017, 06:26 PM »
You’ve come a long way Vod, can’t wait to see the updated pics :)

Cabur Tal

« Reply #22 on: Nov 09, 2017, 05:03 PM »
Here are those updated full-body pics I promised

Let me know what you think, and of course, let me know what I still need to do.

Thank you all, you've been a huge help thus far!

BLUERAM

• Awards 300 Troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 250 Troops 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #23 on: Nov 09, 2017, 11:17 PM »
Couple things I see. With these new pics your thigh plates look too big. It's very hard to tell where the separation in the leg armor is with the black plates on a black flight suit. I think you really need to paint the edges and backs of all the leg armor as it appears that the base white color is showing.

Cabur Tal

« Reply #24 on: Nov 10, 2017, 10:56 AM »
So I need to paint the leg armor a little more and trim the thigh plates.
Any suggestions on improving the contrast between the plates and the suit?

ION: I am able to compress my armor down for easy storage and transportation, and I wondered: how do the Mercs transport their armor to and from events?

Mine looks like this when packed:

It doesn't get any smaller than that but it is helpful. And that is everything; armor, suit, weapons.

Anywho, thanks for the input. It's been immensely helpful!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!