Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Any good Fett knee reference imagery?

• 7 Replies

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Any good Fett knee reference imagery?
« on: Sep 25, 2017, 04:30 PM »
Hey there,
Just in the process of building some canon Boba knees and finding it difficult to source some decent side-on reference images of them.
I'm using the WoF templates as a basis but I'm trying to resolve the shape behind the blocks on the outside of the knee and unfortunately all the imagery I can find online tends to be taken from a front 3/4 angle so it's tricky to work out the exact shape of the portion behind the side block.
Can anyone point me to some good ref/post some  (ideally) top and side views of their canon knees?
Thanks

Tek Sa'an

• OM #1005 - QMU #007 - Vinyl'alor
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Most invasions trooped in 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Any good Fett knee reference imagery?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2017, 05:29 PM »
RedKraytDragon's Photobucket would be perfect. Unfortunately, that can't happen, but his knee video may help? RKD made Fett props.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YLHbN8LyeU

OM #1005 | QMU #007 | M5 #63 | KOVA #14

« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2017, 05:43 PM »
hi simes, go take a look on the dented helmet mate.

Dha Bral

• RISE UP. RISE ABOVE. RISE AGAIN.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Legends of Mandalore Brigade Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months 2016
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2017, 12:59 AM »
Hey there,
Just in the process of building some canon Boba knees and finding it difficult to source some decent side-on reference images of them.
I'm using the WoF templates as a basis but I'm trying to resolve the shape behind the blocks on the outside of the knee and unfortunately all the imagery I can find online tends to be taken from a front 3/4 angle so it's tricky to work out the exact shape of the portion behind the side block.
Can anyone point me to some good ref/post some  (ideally) top and side views of their canon knees?
Thanks

I'll take pics of some of the sets I have and send them to you via a messenger.

Syko Voss

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2017, 05:22 AM »
That's awesome, Dha!

I've scoured Dented Helmet and the 'net and the only reference image I can find looks to be this one from a propmaker comparing his knees to the original - I've marked the bits I'm intrigued by here...

Two things -

1. Left and right knees have a different back profile (red line) - the right knee has a smooth curve all the way to the back, the left knee has a little indent/bump as it follows around the curve

2. The depth of the side block (green line) and in particular the back contour of it - the smooth contour ends just as the back plate starts to turn the corner and become more vertical - the smoothness doesn't extend any further out than there

I'm mostly working from the WoF templates as a guide, and modelling these things in 3D so I can 3D print them, clean them up and create moulds for some aluminium-reinforced fibreglass knees.  The only thing that's been tricky is that the back of those side-blocks in the WoF templates seem to be deeper and extend the smooth contour much further back than what I'm seeing else where.

I figure that as I have the precision of 3D modelling I can get as close to canon as I can and that will put me a tiny step along the way to one day making a fully canon Boba.

Thought I'd ping you guys first before heading over to TDH and posting there.

Thanks!

Dha Bral

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Legends of Mandalore Brigade Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months 2016
« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2017, 04:48 AM »
That's awesome, Dha!

I've scoured Dented Helmet and the 'net and the only reference image I can find looks to be this one from a propmaker comparing his knees to the original - I've marked the bits I'm intrigued by here...

Two things -

1. Left and right knees have a different back profile (red line) - the right knee has a smooth curve all the way to the back, the left knee has a little indent/bump as it follows around the curve

2. The depth of the side block (green line) and in particular the back contour of it - the smooth contour ends just as the back plate starts to turn the corner and become more vertical - the smoothness doesn't extend any further out than there

I'm mostly working from the WoF templates as a guide, and modelling these things in 3D so I can 3D print them, clean them up and create moulds for some aluminium-reinforced fibreglass knees.  The only thing that's been tricky is that the back of those side-blocks in the WoF templates seem to be deeper and extend the smooth contour much further back than what I'm seeing else where.

I figure that as I have the precision of 3D modelling I can get as close to canon as I can and that will put me a tiny step along the way to one day making a fully canon Boba.

Thought I'd ping you guys first before heading over to TDH and posting there.

Thanks!

The reason the knees have variance is because one of the knees (w/ short dart) is from the ROTJ hero kit. The other (with 2 long darts and yellow strap) is from the pp2 kit, and was used during the SE era and for the exhibitions.  So, in essence, you have mismatched kit pieces.

Syko Voss

« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2017, 05:25 AM »
Gotcha. So for correct ROTJ kit, both knees would have a smooth underside (like the one with the short dart)?

Thanks

Dha Bral

« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2017, 06:09 PM »
Gotcha. So for correct ROTJ kit, both knees would have a smooth underside (like the one with the short dart)?

Thanks

To my knowledge, yes. However, knee shape variation between the hero and prepro kits is an area that I haven't fully emerged myself in. A sure way to tell would be to look for ROTJ film still that show the left knee, and compare it to what you see on the short dart knee.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!