Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Once more with feeling... Another S3b Sabine Wren, by Kat

• 22 Replies

Katt

Hi All! I'm Kat from Melbourne, Australia.
I'm working on a Sabine Wren S3b at the moment.
Here's what I have so far...

Katt

Re: Once more with feeling... Another S3b Sabine Wren, by Kat
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2017, 06:37 AM »
And the bits I've bought

Ruthless FX bucket

Eitanya soft suit parts

Leather from Darman Props

Boots from my closet - same length just one falling over

Myra Tiin

• Outer Space Vandal
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2017, 06:55 AM »
Nice looking first costume parts !

I believe your collar plate(s) are too large, they shouldn't exceed the width or your own shoulder, and shouldn't touch the shoulder bells.

Maybe it's due to the tape approximative placement too :)
Your soft parts are killing it too !

Desert ops Brigades - WIP  - Pixel Mandos
 QMU #017 - KOVA #002 - EMTS #118

Katt

« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2017, 09:09 AM »
Thanks for the feedback! The plates getting taped on didn't agree with the fabric at all, I'll try get a better shot of them actually at the neck not falling off. 

Jaegun Clark

• #ISCsAreMandosToo
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #4 on: Sep 30, 2017, 10:16 AM »
I believe your collar plate(s) are too large, they shouldn't exceed the width or your own shoulder, and shouldn't touch the shoulder

The collar plates just need a bit more forming, is all. They just aren't sitting near enough to the neck, a bit more shaping should fix that and ensure they don't overlap/touch the shoulders. Failing that, we can always trim it.

Commenting to follow. And to shamelessly take a little bit of credit for creating the armour (and therefore take responsibility for most of its issues XD)

« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2017, 01:53 AM by Jaegun Clark » Logged

Katt

« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2017, 10:06 PM »
Full credit due, but no responsibility. Great Alor'ad we have in Sandhawk. :)

Evren Jaira

• She/They
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2017, 11:28 PM »
Awesome that both Syd and Melb will have S3 Sabines soon! We'll have to do a Bine-off at some point lol!

I'm gonna second the collar plates needing a lot of trimming - the collar needs to sit right up beside the neck & I feel like the outside edge of that duct tape is where they need to be trimmed, which means that the shoulders can sit right beside them and the curve sits on the curve of the shoulders. Otherwise, great start! I'm getting my belts from Darman too, they should turn up soon.

OM #2745|QMU #025|MA #146 - 24er|House Nelvaan #32

Jaegun Clark

• #ISCsAreMandosToo
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2017, 11:39 PM »
I disagree, I think it's more about the shaping. Once they're shaped enough that the curved edge encircles Kat's neck, they should be juuuuust about right.

Katt

« Reply #8 on: Oct 02, 2017, 12:28 AM »
The second I put it on it's sliding again.  :laugh:

Jaegun Clark

• #ISCsAreMandosToo
« Reply #9 on: Oct 02, 2017, 02:10 AM »
Haha, yeah just needs shaping and attachment.

Katt

« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2017, 03:28 AM »
Productive build day putting a base on the parts

All together so far...

Katt

« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2017, 03:47 AM »

Evren Jaira

• She/They
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2017, 08:20 AM »
I still feel like those collar plates are reaaaaaally wide so I'd love to see them on you to check. Mine are approx half the width of yours from my estimate and I have really wide shoulders compared to most women, so it's weirding me out a little lol! :)

OM #2745|QMU #025|MA #146 - 24er|House Nelvaan #32

Katt

« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2017, 05:50 PM »
Yeh I was hesitant to paint until sure but stubbornness to wait prevailed. Lol
I'll try get another shot. Thanks :)

Katt

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 11:19 PM »

Small progress update! Thoughts?

Katt

« Reply #15 on: Jun 12, 2018, 08:06 AM »
Took her out for a spin for OzComicCon this weekend just gone. Very quickly ascertained the glue I used was crap as the magnets and attachments were all coming unstuck. Boot plates lasted all of one photo and shoulders lifted not long after.

Some close ups of paintwork

So from what I can tell in my non-judge opinion, I know I definitely need to redo all the attachments, the chest plates (which will be the death of me!), all the rockets/darts/appendages on vambraces (crappy glue strikes again) and finish leg flares and bucket obviously.

Anything else glaring I should add to my list as a necessity for approval?

Sabine

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #16 on: Jun 12, 2018, 09:43 PM »
You're paint colors look great, but for approval, I think your chest plates are both too wide and too tall. They also may be over shaped. Remember that while Sabine is not particularly busty, her plates are nearly flat, and should just slightly curve in at the edge of the breast (drives me crazy as a D cup, *sigh*). As for the collar plates, based on what I was told my first time through the app team, they'll need to have the shoulder side edges trimmed a hair, and then reshaped so they can be brought into your neck and sit flush to your shoulder ridge (I got dinged there). Then, You'll be able to bring your shoulder plates up (I also got dinged there). Basically they should cover the sleeve seam of your flight suit. Last thing that really stands out is your holster straps may be too short (mine were dinged for being too long).

Here's a great reference image for plate size and shape:

Here's where I think you should trim/shift things:

Hope my mistakes help!

Sabine Wren S2

Tra'cor Clan || MMCC#1593 || M5#71 || NOS#9 || 104 OM Invasions

Katt

« Reply #17 on: Jun 15, 2018, 09:42 AM »
Thanks so much.
The chest plates have been my biggest battle. I'm a G cup so can only get so flat... lol
Point noted on size though also, my pattern was based on the curve of the edge of her top and then I'd done them in foam and then coated in worbla so they were already bigger than my template before I'd even attempted painting.
With the collar it's sitting up from my shoulders, the width when flat to the suit is about 2-3 cms narrower than in my initial (white plate) photos of them. I'll try to grab another photo... hopefully it's just where they were sitting. But again, thank you for input.
The holster I think I need to try again with better spanx to suck it all in, as the belts have obviously progressively ridden up over my hips :(

Hopefully clearer, yellow line is seam/shoulder edge

« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2018, 10:08 AM by Barrise Tisa » Logged

Sabine

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #18 on: Jun 15, 2018, 11:01 AM »
Hopefully clearer, yellow line is seam/shoulder edge

Yeah, here it looks right  so might just have to work on getting it flush to the shoulder. I just switched to snap tape myself, they stay flush much better, but I need help to get them on now :/. You should only need to trim the outer edges based on that if the shoulders contact them when you bring them up to cover the seam.

Sabine Wren S2

Katt

« Reply #19 on: Jun 16, 2018, 07:01 AM »
Awesome thanks. One less thing to do! Shame about the other 467 😆
By snap tape do you mean like Velcro or press studs? Not sure if Aussie terms match up.
Thanks again.

Sabine

« Reply #20 on: Jun 16, 2018, 11:48 AM »
It's basically sewable cotton tap that has said pre set so you don't have to worry about spacing them out. Looks like this:

Sabine Wren S2

Katt

« Reply #21 on: Jun 16, 2018, 08:27 PM »
Oh cool. I’ll have to have a look.

Katt

« Reply #22 on: Nov 24, 2019, 06:00 AM »
Been a while since I’ve updated in here!

New chests done, bucket painted bigger blasters... and more I can’t currently recall.

Of course only got end of day photos after having a few bits needing reattaching, but you get the idea.

Gallery of bucket here with natural and indoor light shots
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/HQay1W3

Feedback always welcome, the goal is approval one day... in a galaxy far far away. Been a few years in the making though haha

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!