Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Caorann's First WIP (feat. upgrades!)

• 55 Replies

Caorann

• OM#: 2305
Caorann's First WIP (feat. upgrades!)
« on: Oct 01, 2017, 02:25 PM »
This is my first attempt at making armor and using sintra. So far I've only got the codpiece template but I wanted to get some opinions. I think it's too big but it could be fine with the belts once it's all put together.

« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2020, 10:36 PM by Caorann » Logged

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Caorann's First WIP
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2017, 04:10 PM »
Height looks good, remember the top half inch/inch will be covered by your belts, and the width at the waist is good. You may find you need to take a little off on the curve at the thigh/groin bend for better movement and comfort. Mine is about the same overall size but has a thinner profile and I can sit down in it.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Caorann

« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2017, 07:41 PM »
Thanks for the pointers!

Caorann

« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2017, 08:23 AM »
Ok managed to get a few more templates cut out last night (I'll post them tomorrow) and also got the codpiece cut out.

Verd'Jvr

• Not all battle scars are on one's body
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2017, 01:43 PM »
Hello, vod, i suggest checking this link http://mandalorianmercs.org/get-involved/costume-templates/ for templates and tutorials.

OM # 1417 · MAJIC # 173 · V.O.T.S #71 · C.C.P.H.H.M.M. # 3
Armor WIP
Mechanic WIP

Caorann

« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2017, 10:33 PM »
Thanks! I'm using the Boba Fett template from that list but I'll make sure to check out the other links.

Caorann

« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2017, 06:15 PM »
Finally got a chance to take the progress pic. So far I've got the neck plate, knee, and codpiece. Codpiece still needs to be shaped and I plan on making the chest piece templates next. I'm tempted to leave the shoulder bells till after I get my vest (I'm planning on buying it, just waiting to build up the funds for it and the helmet).

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2017, 04:21 AM »
Good progress. If the collar is still a template, do add a little more on the inside of the tabs over the shoulder. Looks like you've trimmed from the outside to fit smaller shoulders but not adjusted for the smaller neck size.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Caorann

« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2017, 01:23 PM »
Was hoping to post some more pictures today but the chest plate templates I made were way too big. Also doing some redesigning and I'm going to change my flight suit as well. As you can see in the photos it's quite bulky on me so I'm probably going to go with the leggings and turtleneck style.

Kris Jasra

« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2017, 01:48 PM »
Better too big than too small :)
And I'm a flightsuit lover so will refrain from commenting on switching to legging and top :P ;) except to say that whichever feels best for you is the one to use.

Caorann

« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2017, 04:24 PM »
Better too big than too small :)
And I'm a flightsuit lover so will refrain from commenting on switching to legging and top :P ;) except to say that whichever feels best for you is the one to use.

Maybe what I'll do then is wait till I get the vest then since that might help.

Caorann

« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2018, 10:37 AM »
Hey all, I've been reworking my concept into something I really like and did a post about in my concept thread https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=139776.0

Caorann

« Reply #12 on: Apr 06, 2018, 01:20 PM »
So I posted this picture in my soft parts wip but I also wanted to put it here. I decided to go for the turtleneck/leggings combo flight suit and I'm liking it a lot better.

I also have a question regarding helmets as that's the next thing I need to get. How do you measure your head for one? I've seen people offer smaller helmets but usually the measurements are for the outside dimensions.

« Reply #13 on: Apr 06, 2018, 01:33 PM »
Contacting the supplier and asking what head measurements he/she'll need, to see if it'll fit properly is your best bet. Nice work on your soft parts, looks good.  :)

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #14 on: Apr 06, 2018, 11:04 PM »
I'm a firm believer in two-piece 'flightsuits' myself, so I approve of the turtleneck and leggings. My only concern for the latter is they may not be sturdy enough to stand up to long wear with armor. Are you going with thigh plates and shin armor? The shins will be supported by the boots, but for the thighs and the knee plates, you'll want at least a little patch of velcro to keep the plates from sliding down, even though straps will take up much of the weight.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #15 on: Apr 07, 2018, 12:03 AM »
My old flight suit was a 2 piece. I used suspenders to keep my pants up. The weight of the thigh plates always made them drop  :laugh:

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: Apr 07, 2018, 09:40 PM »
I also have a question regarding helmets as that's the next thing I need to get. How do you measure your head for one? I've seen people offer smaller helmets but usually the measurements are for the outside dimensions.

It’s my understanding that you measure from shoulder to shoulder, and then your helmet should be about half that number (radius measurement). If in doubt, always ask the vender for additional sizing and/or try on a clan mates helmet to see how they fit!

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Caorann

« Reply #17 on: Apr 13, 2018, 07:35 PM »
I'm a firm believer in two-piece 'flightsuits' myself, so I approve of the turtleneck and leggings. My only concern for the latter is they may not be sturdy enough to stand up to long wear with armor. Are you going with thigh plates and shin armor? The shins will be supported by the boots, but for the thighs and the knee plates, you'll want at least a little patch of velcro to keep the plates from sliding down, even though straps will take up much of the weight.

I wasn't planning on thigh plates since I've got a kama in the mix but I'll keep that in mind for the knee pads.

Caorann

« Reply #18 on: Aug 09, 2018, 04:44 PM »
So here's the templates I did for the chest armor (5'3" Boba Fett template). I honestly can't tell if they're too large on me or it it will be better once they're molded.

« Reply #19 on: Aug 09, 2018, 04:52 PM »
The 2 chest pieces look a bit to wide. They should line up with the outside edge of the collar.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #20 on: Aug 09, 2018, 05:12 PM »
This is a (very) rough picture of what Aden's talking about.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #21 on: Aug 09, 2018, 05:15 PM »
You beat me to it vod, was actually playing around with this in paint.
Yes, once you do some trimming to the outside edges it'll look loads better. I'd start trimming a half inch into the chest pieces.

Caorann

« Reply #22 on: Aug 09, 2018, 05:39 PM »
Well today I learned that I have a tiny torso. Just to keep everything even I tried the different templates until it looked more like the photo (thank you for that) and ended up on the 4'6" one.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #23 on: Aug 09, 2018, 09:53 PM »
The size is much better.  They look like they might still be a little wide - if you try and touch your right shoulder with your left hand, and the paper crinkles up a whole lot, you might want to trim a bit off the sides.  Placement is a bit off, but that's natural when working on paper templates.   :)  You'll want to move the collar up a bit, to where it's almost choking you.

This is, again, rough, but I hope it helps.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Kris Jasra

« Reply #24 on: Aug 10, 2018, 05:25 AM »
For the collar, you may want to take some material from the centre and tape it back together so the tabs are closer to the neck all the way round. The wider the collar the less motion your arms have before you start shifting the collar out of place just to reach for things.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!