Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Nerf Gun reconstruction....help!

• 10 Replies

Raquel91

• Mhi solus tome
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago
Nerf Gun reconstruction....help!
« on: Oct 09, 2017, 02:11 AM »
Hello Vod!

So I'm interested in customizing a Nerf gun, but I don't have any experience or knowledge of doing so. I'm having trouble with ideas on the "part swapping," and "70's future tech."

This is the weapon I will be customizing.

Here is the CRL

" Weapon
At least one weapon of Star Wars-universe style (not Earthly-looking). Nerf and other similar toy weapons MUST have labels/logos removed and repainted.
Manufacturer screw holes MUST be filled and smoothed. They must also be modified so they no longer appear “straight out of the box”. Meaning parts swapping, kit bashing, and the use of greeblies is required. Think “70’s future tech”.
Applicants must now provide 1 picture of their full weapon load-out when applying. Upload will be available on the application "

Also not sure what color for the gun would be a good match for my custom kit.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!  :D

Arqet Clan Alor'ad 2019-2021, Ver'alor 2022
South Central Region Ver Al'verde 2023
Mando Q&A Form
OM#1871b Sabine Wren & Ruu Sedam   
#90 - M5, #038 .G.O.M.O.L., #017 N. O. S.

Jaryn Solus

• Sometimes it's better to think rather than speak
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
Re: Nerf Gun reconstruction....help!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2017, 05:16 AM »
Few possible ideas:

- Dismantle and gut all the working internal parts (active weapons can be frowned on at cons) - this will also give you a mountain of small parts and bits you can use for greeblies and details.
- Cut off the barrel and the breach and replace with a heavy gauge pipe (these two parts, along with the mag are easily identifiable as Nerf.
- Build a new magazine, or if adventurous cut the whole magazine mount off and remount it to the side.

Hopefully that will give you a start :) If you are looking for more inspiration, I personally looked at a mix of cannon weapons and second world war firearms for ideas.

Owner of Cabiris Workshop - Custom and Bespoke 3D printed accessories
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=155271.0
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2017, 04:48 PM »
I’d second Vegadane’s recommendations, and also add a scope. A long, thin one, like an air gun scope, would look good, and real ones are pretty inexpensive. I’d cut off the little triangle bit in the stock, and maybe add some switches or dials on the side of the receiver.

That’s just me though, and the potential I see in the gun. I look forward to seeing what you do!

« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2017, 12:00 PM »
I’d cut off the little triangle bit in the stock

I would say try filling in that spot with some bondo or something instead. The gap that would be left behind by just cutting it out would still be recognizable, I think, and a full bodied stock would look far better.

« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2017, 11:08 AM »
along with trying to replace the barrel there are plenty of body kits for nerf guns floating around on etsy like this one
https://www.etsy.com/listing/254367697/nerf-slingfire-blaster-winchester-barrel

poke around for inspiration or for a kit you like, there are plenty of options out there for modifying nerf guns.

MMcFett

• Wayii!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2017, 03:47 PM »
Easy first steps would be new/extended barrel, add scope, change stock/grip.
Also, check the link here and see what others have done.
Find someone who's modified the same gun and get some ideas!
You could also buy another Nerf you like and start swapping parts (i.e. find one with a stock and/or barrel you like and swap those parts)

...take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. Ephesians 6:13WIPs: Helmet-Armor-Gauntlets-Weapons-Jetpack
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2017, 05:39 PM »
I would say try filling in that spot with some bondo or something instead. The gap that would be left behind by just cutting it out would still be recognizable, I think, and a full bodied stock would look far better.

On a second look, I agree. Filling it is the better option.

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2017, 11:10 AM »
Most all NERF guns require a LOT of modification to pass muster.  It's not a job for the faint of heart.  :P

That disclaimer aside, this is an awesome gun.  My wife and I worked on the same one for her Privateer build.  Like other said, disassemble it, remove all the guts.  Then go to town hacking away at it. Change profiles, add panels, greeblies, barrels, scopes, etc. 

Super recognizable things on this gun are the cocking lever, the stock, the wrap on the grip, the barrel, the magazine...etc.  So anything you can do to hide/change those parts will go a long way.  Here's a few pics of my wife's finished blaster for some inspiration.  :)

Raquel91

• Mhi solus tome
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2018, 05:48 PM »
Hey All!

Its been ages since I posted an update!! (I'm approved!)

Anyway, here is the finished result!

I want to thank everyone's advice! I was able to gut out the nerf gun, take off some pieces, fill with bondo and attach some materials I found at the 99c Store.

Arqet Clan Alor'ad 2019-2021, Ver'alor 2022
South Central Region Ver Al'verde 2023
Mando Q&A Form
OM#1871b Sabine Wren & Ruu Sedam   
#90 - M5, #038 .G.O.M.O.L., #017 N. O. S.

Jaryn Solus

• Sometimes it's better to think rather than speak
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2018, 04:44 AM »
Great work on the gun, looks awesome :)

And congrats on OM!

Owner of Cabiris Workshop - Custom and Bespoke 3D printed accessories
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=155271.0

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2018, 10:30 AM »
Nerf is a tough nut to crack, and you've done a marvelous job!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!