Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Rick's soft parts WIP

• 7 Replies
Rick's soft parts WIP
« on: Oct 10, 2017, 10:25 AM »
My wife bought a sewing machine, so I decided now is a good time to start on my soft parts, while we both learn how to use it.

I ordered ScrubZone scrubs from Amazon, including an XS pants to make double sleeves.  They already came, and i've pulled the pockets off.  I ended up with some weathering at the corners of the pockets where they had aggressively sewed them on.

I ordered this belt.

I ordered this girthbelt.  I have leather to make straps.

Both belts seem to fit the requirements, and are cheaper than I could do on my own.

Dark grey duck cloth should be arriving today for my flak vest.  I'm going to use webbing and side release buckles for closure.  I think I will have velcro flaps to keep the sides closed over the buckles.

More to come.

Tek Sa'an

• OM #1005 - QMU #007 - Vinyl'alor
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Most invasions trooped in 2017
Re: Rick's soft parts WIP
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2017, 10:35 AM »
Good stuff to start with. One thing I suggest doing with the girth belt is to hot glue the INSIDE of the ropes together. It keeps them tight and makes it look like one whole piece on the outside.

OM #1005 | QMU #007 | VINYL'ALOR | IG-85736
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2017, 09:14 AM »
Thanks for the tip, Tek.

« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2017, 09:20 AM »
I had some free time this weekend, so some progress made.  Unfortunately, our son is using our camera for some freelance photography work, so no pictures.

Girth belt dyed and ropes fused together.  Back connector belt completed.
Loincloth completed.
Flight suit legs taken in.
Flight suit arms taken in and attached to the shirt.  (A real seamstress would cry over the sloppy stitches inside.)
Measurements taken for flak vest.

My wife also helped me make a duct tape dummy, so now my office has this funky duct tape smell.

Tek Sa'an

• Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2017, 09:30 AM »
Sounds like you got a lot done. Hopefully you'll get your camera back soon so we can see your progress.

« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:29 AM »
My entirely too slow build has some progress. How is the fit on the scrubs and vest?  I still need to make a neck seal, and I want to remake the closure for the girth belt.  Feedback welcome.

Flight suit

+girth and ammo belts

+vest

gloves

Tek Sa'an

« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2018, 09:36 AM »
Without having any armor on, it looks alright to me. Good call on the 2 piece suit. The vest offhand might be a bit loose, but once you start putting armor on it'll help us more. I really like your kama and your girth belt setup. How does everything feel to you?

Also, nice collection of Star Wars book in the background. :)

« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2018, 11:12 AM »
I'm struggling to get the vest to be tailored everywhere, due to my body shape.  It's tight around my belly, but a bit loose around the arm holes.  I'm not sure how to tighten that up.

I'll print some armor templates to see how things look.  I like the traditional modern look better, but will probably try modern and legacy to see what looks better.

EDIT 02-17
I printed the large Jango templates and stuck them on my dummy.  I don't have anyone around to help with pictures today.  Pictures on my armor WIP.

« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2018, 11:42 AM by rlobrecht » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!