Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ellemijn's first WIP

• 25 Replies

Ad'eta

• Ellemijn
Ellemijn's first WIP
« on: Oct 15, 2017, 01:15 PM »
Hello everyone! My name is Ellemijn and I started working on my first kit. I already have a wip in the clan forum but I thought it would be fun to start one here too. This is my overall plan. I am going to use the angular chest template (I don't want it to be... round :P). I don't know what logo I want on my shoulder. Any ideas?

I put the templates on me today. I think the collar plate is off but I don't really know how to fix it. (You can also see my finished flak vest in this pic :D)

« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2017, 03:26 PM by BazkyRat » Logged

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: My first WIP
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2017, 08:33 AM »
Chest looks good. For the collar, take some off the outside edges till it's the same width as the chest plates and then add to the inside edge so that it is nestled closer against your neck - follow the edge of your vest as a guide. The ab may need an inch off the bottom, it's looking fairly long, but it is hard to judge without cod and waist items in place so I'd leave it longer and trim when you have the rest in place.

You're probably well aware of this but just in case it may help - don't forget that the cod needs to be much bigger than you expect as the top inch or so will be covered by your waist items, if you don't account for that and make it a tiny triangle you'll have to sling your belts right down on your hips and end up hiding most of the cod. (Hip slung belts are not fun once you start adding extra stuff that drags them down... and trust me, extra shiny stuff just accumulates because shiny!)

For the logo - use another general mythosaur skull? If you ever design something else or find something you want instead then you can just paint over it. My shoulders have been through about 5 repaints so far :P I think there must be about 20 paint layers on there by now.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Ad'eta

• Ellemijn
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2017, 11:59 AM »
I started cutting out the templates and already shaped them. I took some time to figure out the right shape but I really like how it looks now. I already put bondo on the creases so I can sand it down tomorrow.

I made some ammo pouches a few days ago out of scrap leather. I just need to get a nice belt now.

I am also starting to think about my blaster. I might buy this one. Thoughts?

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2017, 02:56 PM »
Looks good, Did you put any hardener in that Bondo or is it a different brand? Just looks very grey still.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2017, 03:17 PM »
I like the direction your build is going, and will be watching with interest.  As for what sigil or emblem to use on your shoulder bell, have you thought about leaving it blank, and once you're approved, putting your clan sigil there?

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Verd'Jvr

• Not all battle scars are on one's body
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2017, 03:57 PM »
very nice progress vod! I also agree you should put your clan sigil once you are approved

OM # 1417 · MAJIC # 173 · V.O.T.S #71 · C.C.P.H.H.M.M. # 3
Armor WIP
Mechanic WIP

Ad'eta

• Ellemijn
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2017, 04:40 PM »
Looks good, Did you put any hardener in that Bondo or is it a different brand? Just looks very grey still.
I did :P. It's not the brand bondo since they don't sell that here but some cheap other brand. I used it before though and it turned out pretty good.

I like the direction your build is going, and will be watching with interest.  As for what sigil or emblem to use on your shoulder bell, have you thought about leaving it blank, and once you're approved, putting your clan sigil there?
That is a great idea! Thanks

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2017, 03:46 AM »
Aha! An English WIP thread!  Great start!

Myra Tiin

• Outer Space Vandal
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2017, 10:49 AM »
Angular plates for the win ! I'm glad to see there are a few more of these being built :)

Good luck with that bondo sanding !

Desert ops Brigades - WIP  - Pixel Mandos
 QMU #017 - KOVA #002 - EMTS #118

Ad'eta

• Ellemijn
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2017, 03:59 PM »
Hello again! I was very busy with school the past weeks so I didn't get a lot of stuff done but I feel like it's time for an update. So I got my helmet and while I was unpacking I almost dropped it because I was so excited :laugh:. I already attached the earcaps and cut out the vents (scariest. Magnets to attach the rangefinder piece are on the way :D .

Also attached the armor pieces to my vest using velcro and made a template for my backplate. Does it look okay?

Oh, and I did a little something 8). But I want a bigger blaster asap.

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2017, 04:12 PM »
Hey there! Great start! I’ve always liked the way those angular plates look!

Just a few things I’m seeing here! Your collar plate is currently sitting too low. It needs to be brought up to where it feels like it’s almost choking you (but actually shouldn’t!). From there, your plates may have to be brought up as well. You may need some trimming to both collar and chest plates or just one or the other. Don’t trim yet, placement should be good before doing that :)

Shoulders are a bit uneven, but that’s an easy fix :)

Back plate looks good, I’d jusy round out those corners on the bottom so they don’t end up stabbing you. 

Again, great job so far and I look forward to seeing more progress from you :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2017, 07:46 PM »
It's so cool that you're doing the angled plates, they've turned out great so far!  I'm excited to see what else you do :D

Instagram: @evaarla_kal

Keely

• Cora Bla'or | Head Traffic Cone
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2017, 10:25 PM »
Yup, the collar should be "almost choking you" and the others will need to scoot up some a well - but you're getting there!

Also, I LOVE your kit colors- but then I'm partial to orange on armor ;)

Traffic Cones #1 | N.O.S. #19 | O.A.S. | G.O.M.O.L. #29 | M5 #92 | K.O.V.A | M.V.S. #96 | Xeno #4
 FB | IG | Website | Twitter | Invasions: 27

Ad'eta

• Ellemijn
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2017, 02:52 PM »
Hi again,
So last weekend I went trooping for the first time at Dutch Comic Con. I had a lot of fun and I met a few of the dutch clan members.

Because I was in a hurry the paint job didn't turn out very well so I'm going to spend the next upcoming weeks fixing that :P I also placed the collar piece a little bit higher (it touches my neck a little bit but not in an annoying way) and it looks a lot better. I will trim off some of the chest pieces so it matches the collar better and it won't stick out so much. I still need to weather all the soft parts.
I will post a more in depth update later this week.

Yup, the collar should be "almost choking you" and the others will need to scoot up some a well - but you're getting there!

Also, I LOVE your kit colors- but then I'm partial to orange on armor ;)
Orange is an awesome color 8)

« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2017, 03:00 PM by BazkyRat » Logged

Ad'eta

• Ellemijn
Re: Ellemijn's first WIP
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2018, 02:14 PM »
Hello :) It has been a while since my last update so I decided to post something again. I finished the paint job on my plates. I don't like the shape of my collar plate so I will probably make a new one.

I also made the knee plates. They are not straight in this picture :rolleyes:

Also started working on a backplate. Thoughts?

I also purchased these ammo pouches which I will paint black. For my birthday I got these gauntlets :D

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2018, 03:11 PM »
Backplate will probably need at least 2 inches taking off, possibly more. For the best movement the bottom of the backplate tends to end around elbow level.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Kryamla Redalur

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2018, 01:33 PM »
Plates look a bit wide, but if you remake the collar, be sure it lines up with the chest plates. However, they still may be a bit wide for comfort. Does it pinch any when you move your arms out in front of you?

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Ad'eta

• Ellemijn
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2018, 04:20 PM »
Plates look a bit wide, but if you remake the collar, be sure it lines up with the chest plates. However, they still may be a bit wide for comfort. Does it pinch any when you move your arms out in front of you?

Luckily they don't pinch anywhere :) On my clan wip somebody suggested I take off the sides like this:

Will that work? I think it also makes the plates look less wide.

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2018, 01:00 AM »
Yeah that would work!

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2018, 06:30 PM »
That's exactly what I did with my chest plates! Better movement, more comfortable, all the things. 10/10 highly recommend. 8)

Ad'eta

• Ellemijn
« Reply #20 on: Mar 11, 2018, 10:57 AM »
Got some work on my backplate done this weekend. It is now attached to my vest with velcro. Also took some of the bottom for comfort. I also took of the edged of my chestplates to line it up better and I really like the result! This is what it looks like now.

I also got my gauntlets this friday. They fit really wel.

I am strting to think about my weapons and because I got an unexpected bonus I am thinking about buying a westar 35 variation used by the imperial super comandos. Thoughts?

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #21 on: Mar 11, 2018, 12:24 PM »
I think that looks pretty dandy.   ;D 

The fangs on your chest plates could be secured to you a bit more, but...you're doing really nice work.  This is coming along very well.  Looking great.   ;D

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Ad'eta

• Ellemijn
« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2018, 01:53 PM »
Been a while since I posted here but with the help from my clan, I became official  :D!! I also took some cool photos two weeks ago that I wanted to share.

So... upgrade time!
I am thinking of adding a sidearm (probably a DL18) and a holster. I also want to add more to my gauntlets since I feel they are a bit empty now.

« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2018, 03:19 PM by BazkyRat » Logged

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #23 on: Dec 12, 2018, 05:26 PM »
Yay! Congratulations. :) Those are some sweet shots!

Looking forward to the upgrades!

« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2019, 08:04 AM »
I just stumbled over this while looking around the Forum and I gotta say,.. I love the angular chest and the colors.   ;D

I had a bit of a struggle with my Chest-plates, because I tried to make them out of one piece. just using three looks like the better solution

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!