Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Armor Templates

• 4 Replies
Armor Templates
« on: Nov 18, 2017, 11:26 AM »
Hi, all. I'm done templating my first mando and I wanted some feedback before I cut plastic.

Here are the photos of my chest assembly. This is basically how I want it in the final product except I'll make the smooth corners on the trauma plates a sharper.

This one's fairly self-explainatory. The sheets of blue and red closest to my chest will be a solid piece of plastic in the final assembly, I just ran out of red posterboard. :P

And here's my full torso assembly:

Same as before except that my belly bands and tassets are included in orange and my pauldrons are included in blue and red. The photos of the pauldrons are ugly as sin because of the posterboard, they should work better in plastic. I only did one because laziness but they'll be symmetrical. My main worry here is that the decorative wings over the shoulder blades are insufficiently mando.

The next photoset is my completed template assembly. If the final assembly, I'll be fully enclosed but I didn't bother with templating the bits that would just be contoured cylinders or my back plate. They will be there in plastic, though, I just can't see them upsetting the app team .

The full assembly:

Shield generator detail shots:

Arm Assembly detail (again, symmetrical with the other arm):

From the back (just a plain sheet of plastic in the final assembly so nothing too impressive at this stage):

Detail on the knee cop:

Lastly, here's a link to my armor concept discussion:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=139932.0

Tycho Villaz

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Armor Templates
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2017, 09:51 AM »
In looking at your photos, you have a lot going on.   I like the look, but a full chest piece will restrict some movement.   And your arms have a bunch going on too.   Almost going for that knight look??   Finally, you need to be careful with the point on that arm piece, we don't want you hurting yourself or others when you're out trooping.
MMCC #920          BOMB #26
TRAFFIC CONE BRIGADE #8

Ashen Kelborn

• Builder for Trauma Plates R Us, Kelborn #1
  • Awards Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2017, 12:59 PM »
Personally seeing too much armour that will be restrictive to you like Tycho said, you may want to dial it back a bit, even full plate armour was made to be more manoeuvrable.
Lots of armour can make you very hot too, so hydration would be a big factor too

« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2017, 11:13 PM »
In looking at your photos, you have a lot going on.   I like the look, but a full chest piece will restrict some movement.   And your arms have a bunch going on too.   Almost going for that knight look??   Finally, you need to be careful with the point on that arm piece, we don't want you hurting yourself or others when you're out trooping.

I'm not anticipating too much restriction in movement. I've spent a good bit of time looking at videos and books of historical armor construction so, unless sintra is really hard to form or something like that, I should be alright. Is there anything specific you know about the materials or requirements of the club which would make it hard to move that wouldn't also apply to steel plate armor?

Yeah, the spiky bits are a concern. I'm not sure what to do, though, as rounding off the corner would make it look a good deal worse. Is there any way you know of that I could minimize risk of impalings without sacrificing the aesthetic? If I have to round it off, I will but I'd rather not if it can be avoided.

Personally seeing too much armour that will be restrictive to you like Tycho said, you may want to dial it back a bit, even full plate armour was made to be more manoeuvrable.
Lots of armour can make you very hot too, so hydration would be a big factor too

See above for comments re: maneuverability.

I was planning on having 3/4 closure my rebraces and cuisses (open in the inner thigh and upper arm next to the body). I've also had an offer of help installing a fan in my helmet. Would that be enough to keep it relatively cool? How well does sintra insulate heat?

NegativeEleven

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2017, 06:03 PM »
Sintra does hold in heat, but you're also probably gonna be doing coveralls and the vest, which is a couple of layers of fabric. It gets hot fast. I replaced my coveralls with workout pants/oversized compression shirt because of the vents, which are mostly invisible when I've got armor over it. A fan in the helmet will keep sweat out of your eyes and de-fog the lens. It makes the suit more comfortable, but is not a solution in itself. My helmet has two with a switch to determine which the battery goes to. One in the back blows up over my head to try to cool, and one in the ear blows across the face to clear fog.

I think what the others are saying is that even with medieval plate armor, they had more room to move than what you've got here. Plate armor also didn't have a coat of paint on it. If you've got layered plates rubbing against one another, you're going to be repainting a lot. Sintra can flex a bit, but too much flex and paint will start to crack and separate from the surface, or it will just crack. If you do end up going that route, make sure your movement aren't going to bend the plates. Do the templates wrinkle when you move with them taped on? Also, try to find sintra in the same color that you want your armor to be (have to go to a plastics supplier), or get it some shade of grey (that's what I do) so that even when paint scratches off, it will look like weathering of realistic armor.

MMCC - #1151 "El Evan" Modern Era
             - MVS #61
501st Legion - TB-11110 Biker Scout
The Finest (G.I.Joe Costume Club) - Viper

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!