Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

beast rider's bucket

• 4 Replies
beast rider's bucket
« on: Nov 20, 2017, 11:58 PM »
again, not sure if i should only do one thread on here, or if making multiples is okay, but as this is for a separate helmet, i figured it'd be alright!
so, with my helmet nearly done, my second helmet arrived the other day; a DTC phoenix/sabine helmet, for my girlfriend's kit. while i wanted my helmet to look fairly clean cut and painted, hers is more...rough. the designs and markings are based on her horse's fur patterning, and the general theme of the kit i'm working on for her is a beast tamer/rider. (i know we're supposed to focus on OM first, but as she's not that big into SW and is more doing it for my sake, i'm not sure if she'll even want to apply to join...)
first, we have our inspiration. meet Duchess (no it was not planned)

and the helmet itself, so far. personally, i feel it's missing...like, just another bit of detail, especially around the earcaps...but i'm not sure what...

i imagine the radio bit to be used for keeping track of her animals, wherever they get off to. and for communications, obviously. a standard rangefinder just didn't seem to fit her character idea

the keyslot may be removed, since it creates a bump the back of the neck, and she said it pushes her face a bit too forward.

the braid is from Duchess' tail, and will be worn as a necklace, with a smaller one (about a third of this) hanging from the left earcap.

side by side with my bucket. she decided for the cheeks she wanted to do the inverse colors of mine.

so, not sure where else to go, if i should add more greeblies, or maybe make any changes to the paint. one design i was considering was using feather decals on the earcaps, as we also have small birds. any suggestions or thoughts would be welcome/appreciated~

The Unknown Mando

• Formerly 'brett'
Re: beast rider's bucket
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2017, 06:32 PM »
Nice horsey. Bucket looks pretty cool. Like the idea of the braid hanging from ear. I'd say add the visor and see how you like it, then decide what else it needs. With the paint.....or the characater, how dirty and beat up are they going to be? What's the character like? Trophy collector? Add some weathering or a wash and she'll look great.

« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2017, 11:34 PM »
The visors on its way, hopefully here before the 15th haha. For the character, im thinking she's an animal tamer/farmer, so probably a lot of natural weathing, like mud stains, grease, etc. Trophy parts being more sentimental items than prizes. One idea im considering is adding a slightly raised ridge on the front over the visor, like the standard mando helmet has. Another option, although i dont know if this would be allowed, is sculpted ear crowns, similar to ursa wrens helmet.

The Unknown Mando

• Formerly 'brett'
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2017, 12:28 AM »
Sounds pretty cool, I hadn't seen ursa wrens helmet before, but the sculpted bits on top look pretty cool

Vorir Gah'Kurs

• Ruus'amoose
  • Aliit ori'shya tal'din
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months 40+ hrs of charity work recorded
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2017, 03:57 PM »
Looking great!!

MMCC-1421
Shereshir'Ca - 009
B.E.A.R.D.S. - 114

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!