Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Helmet Build WIP

• 9 Replies
First Helmet Build WIP
« on: Dec 14, 2017, 06:05 PM »
   Hey guys! I finally started to work on my kit and I decided to start off with the helmet! I know there are easier parts to start on, but I feel like the helmet is probably the most iconic part of a Mandalorians kit. I also heard on the podcast that they know when someone is serious about being a mando when they get their first helmet done, and I wanted to show I was serious :D
   To start off with, I'm doing a from scratch build, also not the easy route :D, but I'm experienced in building helmets with pepakura and have built 3 2/3 helmets already. I used the WOF template for the helmet, I know not pepakura, but similar to the pep pattern if you build with foam.
   I followed along with Mandalore's. build on Youtube. I made a form out of foamboard and used card paper to print out the helmet parts; I only had red card stock :) I dont know if others have had this problem, but I had a lot of trouble printing out the templates the correct size. If i did it ar 100%, the pattern was really really big. I printed it out with "fit to paper" and that seemed to do the trick, though some parts are slightly off. To be honest, my printer is not the best, but its mine.
   I ended up taping the form together because, the glue wouldn't dry quick enough, which is fine if you have clamps, I don't. But like I said, the parts are a little weird and at the moment, I think I might just go without the form. I don't know, we'll see.
   The helmet parts went together well so far. I glued the cheeks on and taped them to the Maniples. The Face is taped together with a supporting extra piece of card stock behind it. The Maniples were cut out and taped in place. All of the taping is done with masking tape, which has a nice rough texture on its surface which I hope will allow the resin to stick better. I also tape on both sides of the seem to make sure it's secure.
   I hope you like the picks. I'll be doing the dome next and attaching it to the bottom part.

And here is an extra pick for the season. Merry Christmas.

The fireplace was built out of cardboard and contact paper by my wonderfully talented wife Stephanie!

Jeremy

Bowfanny

• GENERAL SHINANIGATOR
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: First Helmet Build WIP
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2017, 09:07 PM »
Great start.

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2017, 09:06 AM »
Yep, that does look like a really solid start.  Good luck vod!  You can totally do this.  :D

First Helmet Build WIP update 1
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2017, 04:31 PM »
   Hey guys! So here's and update on my helmet build. I put the basic parts together to test fit and I wasn't pleased with it. I feel like the proportions are wrong. The helmet is definitely to big, at least for me.

Now I know that these are just templates and usually you have to size them to fit. However, I'm having trouble on my computer changing the size, at least of pdf. The software won't let me.
   So, I decided to try using  the Jango Fett pepakura file from Mando Commandos bucket list sticky. I'm more familiar, like I said, with pepakura, and if I have to change the size, I know how to there.

I built this mock up in a day. One of the big things I learned from this is to definitely do a mock up, taped together, version to see if it fits and the proportions are correct.

As you can see, it looks pretty good. I like it. However, I think it's a bit small. For one, my nose sticks out of the visor section, which means that it's going to be smashed against it when it's there. Second, it just looks a bit too small proportionally on my head, but I think closer then the other.

I usually would just scrap the helmets and start off fresh, throwing out all that hard work, but I'm not going to this time. For one, I think I can work on it and get the size better for me. We'll see. Secondly, if I can't get it to fit me, it might fit someone else on the forum and I can give it to them, more completed then it is now of course :)
   So I'll continue messing with them, but im going to change the scale in Pepakura designer to get it to fit better. It looks to me like it should fit somewhere in between the 2 I have now. I'll keep you updated.

Jeremy

« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2017, 05:51 PM by JeMa42 » Logged
Update #2
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2017, 05:59 PM »
Hey guys!
   I have a second update on my helmet. build. As I mentioned before, I'm now using a pepakura template to build my helmet, but the last one was too small. Pepakura says that it is at 0.55% scale, so i scaled it up 20%, I think! I hit the scale up 10% twice,  but the scale was listed at 0.75%.

As you can see, it's way too big, Lol.  So I took the original and only scaled up only 10%, to 0.61%. This put it to about the same size as the first one, only slightly smaller. I didn't even bother to take a picture of that one.
   So I tried again. As you can see I'm running out of the red paper and having to substitute other colors. Fun way to color concept  :D This time I set the scale to 0.58%. This came put really well, but I Stoll felt it was still not right.

I swore I wasn't going to build another one, because I'd already done 4 mock ups in the last 2 days. But, it wasn't quite there yet. So, really scraping together the rest of the paper I had, I scaled it to 0.565%, roughly in between 55 and 58%. And here is the result:

I think that's about right. Looking at Boba' s helmet from ESB, it looks a little smaller then you would think. As of right now, this is the scale I'm going with, and I'll glue this one up and post it in the next update.
   I'm also going to use the pieces to scale down the other helmets to the right size, which should be easy since they are so much bigger.

Jeremy

Update #3
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2017, 06:34 PM »
Hey Vode!
   I hope everyone had a great holiday and I hope you have an even better New Years, with a Blood Moon and all ;D. It's been a week or so since my last update, so here we are.  I finished the main body of the bucket about a week ago.

It turned out pretty well. I like it! I especially like the weird colors because I was running out of paper, made for a fun build :). I'm of course going to paint it different, a Brown, Green, and Black pattern.

All I had left to do was add all of the side bits, which were challenging. I don't remember what the WoF templates are like, but I have run in to this problem with Pepakura, where the model the separate pieces, to get more detail I think, and the unfold with no way to attach them to the main piece.

So, I had to get creative. I was originally going to make a backing piece and attach it to the back, but that tends to bow out slightly when attached. I'd have to do a lot of work to fix that attachment to the bucket. So I decided to use cardboard pieces , glued to the sides, inside the piece, to use as anchor points.

This worked out really well. Especially,  since I'm going to fiber glass it anyway, I can clean up the gaps.
   The top right ear was a problem. I originally made it like the pepakura had it made, but with out a backing and all it was very flimsy. I tried to attach it, and realized that half of it sticks up above the helmet rim, with out a back.

So, I cut out the little flimsy bit and glued 2 pieces of cardboard I there, 1 was pre-squished to fit properly. This provide a backing and a more stable platform. I also closed up the gap where the rangefinder would go, I'll have to work on that when I come to it.

[/img]https://i.imgur.com/j0y3ubV.jpg  [/img]
   So, my first build is essentially complete. The next step will be to begin adding resin to the bucket. I think I'm going to go with an epoxy resin, which is a lot less toxic.

Jeremy

TeGrem

• Ruus Baar'ur - Mando Medic in the Making
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2018, 06:17 PM »
Hey! I'm using that exact same pep!

If you have the ability, I'd HIGHLY recommend 3D printing the rangefinder. If you look in my thread you can see how mine is done (and my current failure...)

Bowfanny

• GENERAL SHINANIGATOR
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2018, 07:15 PM »
Hey! I'm using that exact same pep!

If you have the ability, I'd HIGHLY recommend 3D printing the rangefinder. If you look in my thread you can see how mine is done (and my current failure...)
Not a failure Vod just a minor setback thatís common.

Honestly Iíd fill those pieces with resin and maybe sink some small bolts into the resin while itís not hard yet (resin outside first to maintain shape) and bolt them on after the resin process.

Re: First Helmet Update #4
« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2018, 09:29 PM »
Hey Vod,
   Sorry I've been away for a while. I'm in school and it takes a lot of time. However, I'm back and excited to start working on my Helmet and the rest if my costume again.
  For the next update I'm going to resin my multicolored Pepakura helmet and fiberglass it. Hopefully, I'm going to be able to that this weekend.
Jeremy

« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2018, 10:22 PM »
I'm sorry  all, but unfortunately I'm going to have to end this WIP because my helmet has died. While I was moving things around in my apartment a box fell off the shelf and absolutely crushed it. I'll start a new thread and keep more current on it. I think it's way easier to just build a new one. Thanks
Jeremy

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!