Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Questions about making a flak vest

• 7 Replies
Questions about making a flak vest
« on: Dec 16, 2017, 09:47 AM »
So I want to try my hand at making a flak vest. I've very little sewing experience outside of making a few simple skirts and some plushes I've made, though. And then there is the problem that I'm a bit, well, chunky. I've been looking around at some of the threads on the forum here, Point's vest thread in particular. Still I want to ask if anyone has any advice on the matter? Like what sorts of things would I need to keep in mind given that I'm female and have a large bust? I know that was an issue with my chest plates and we had to get help with making a new pattern and fitting them, which involved darts and such. Also, how do I measure things? I've heard some things about bras being a picky matter with things fitting exactly right too and was wondering if anyone could expand on that a bit.

Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ni haati talyc, ni haati ge'talyc.

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
Re: Questions about making a flak vest
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2017, 10:54 AM »
If you can do plushes, you can do shapewear.  For a female form I recommend starting with a corset pattern.  I've used both Simplicity #9966 and McCall's #3681 for vests for women.  You just have to add shoulders, upper chest, and neck to them, which you can make from any shirt pattern.  The corset part of the pattern provides support and structure, which is important for a Mando flak vest because it holds up your plates.

When you fit your vest, you'll want to wear a shirt that has a similar thickness to your flightsuit, and wear whatever bra you plan to wear when you suit up in your armor.  That way it will sit correctly on your body all the time and be more comfortable... as much as wearing armor is ever actually comfortable.  If you fit it with a push-up bra but wear a sports bra when you suit up for an event, your breasts will be in a different position and you'll be less comfortable, for example.

Make sure you get lots of extra fabric to compensate for screwups while you develop your skill.  The first few pieces you make are going to suck compared to the next few, and so on.  Also, remember to pre-wash your fabric in hot water before you start making it, otherwise you may get some shrinkage.

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2017, 10:57 PM »
I used Simplicity pattern #8219 for my flak vest pattern. It has a v-neck, so I cut more of a round neck instead.

The patterns give all the measurements you need to take and how to cut the pattern itself. The only issue I had is that I then had to take in the sides quite a bit to account for my shape.  I may have cut it too generously in my lack of sewing skills and worry.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2017, 02:33 AM »
I went out to a charity shop (thrift store?) and found a cheap bodywarmer type garment that fitted  nicely and already had the prerequisite darting and such. I just tightened it up in a couple of places, added shoulders, pinned the front together and marked whee I needed to add extra to the sides so it was side open instead of front open and then cut it apart down the seams. Voila - one pattern. I used leather to make my vest as it holds plates well and again, the very first one was made with a charity shop find.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2017, 07:25 PM »
Im very busty as well (38DDD). I have been wanting to make my flak vest since i'm afraid most will be ill fitting.  Thanks for asking the question that has been burning in my mind :)

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2017, 07:56 PM »
I'm a 32E. It's a choice between darting the vest to fit me, or padding under the vest so that I fit the vest. To be fair I like both variations as I have one kit which is rather feminine and one which is much more masculine looking.
But getting the fitted vest was definitely the harder of the two and I was very glad I went with cutting up something I didn't care about first :)

I also forgot to say last time to expand on the bra point - actually put it in your kit box and don't wear it any other time so it doesn't wear out as quickly. My mando bra finally wore out after several years of trooping and my new one isn't quite the same cup shape so my plates are needing a full overhaul to fit.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2017, 12:16 PM »
My experience with female armor didn't extend so far as to having a dedicated bra for the kit, as my ex-wife who wore the armor rarely wore a bra at all and pretty much every sports bra she picked put hers in the same place, or at least close enough.  But then, she was only a C/D.  However, even as a guy, that makes a lot of sense, as I used to have underwear just for working at the ren faire, and for the same reasons of support and positioning.

Mashukir Prudiise

• Awards Celebration Chicago 15+ invasions in 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2017, 07:52 AM »
I got very lucky on the bra issue (cause at 32 g/h, it could be a massive issue), mine are all from the same company, and same style, so while I donít have a dedicated trooping bra, I have a few that all fit my plates

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!