Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Question on Vest Material

• 4 Replies

NanukIsCurious13

• She was Warned, nevertheless, She Persisted.
Question on Vest Material
« on: Mar 03, 2018, 11:28 AM »
Cam o use an old dark wash denim jacket to make a flak vest. I know I'll have to cover the zipper and stitch the pockets. But otherwise will they let it through?

Super excited to be here
Looking at starting my first kit
Any help is appreciated!!!!

Thel Ihveen

• Stirring the concept pot.
Re: Question on Vest Material
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2018, 02:08 PM »
Unfortunately, the classic denim jacket probably won't work. Most jackets have contrast stitching and a very distinct "worn" look to them, where the dye settles into seams and wears off of certain places, making the coloration inconsistent. Most denim jackets are also made using a fabric with different thread colors woven into the fabric - some threads are blue, some are white - and it gives the fabric a very distinct look that will stick out as being earthly.

If you have a jacket that doesn't look like the usual denim jean jacket, though, it might work, but probably only if it's a solid color besides the classic indigo blue. Many coveralls are made out of denim (mine included!) but since it's a solid black, gray, or green, it doesn't look like a pair of jeans. If you really want, you may also be able to use Rit dye and color remover on it, to change the color or at least give it a solid-colored look.

Do you have any photos of the jacket? Seeing it will help!

NanukIsCurious13

• She was Warned, nevertheless, She Persisted.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2018, 06:24 PM »
Unfortunately, the classic denim jacket probably won't work. Most jackets have contrast stitching and a very distinct "worn" look to them, where the dye settles into seams and wears off of certain places, making the coloration inconsistent. Most denim jackets are also made using a fabric with different thread colors woven into the fabric - some threads are blue, some are white - and it gives the fabric a very distinct look that will stick out as being earthly.

If you have a jacket that doesn't look like the usual denim jean jacket, though, it might work, but probably only if it's a solid color besides the classic indigo blue. Many coveralls are made out of denim (mine included!) but since it's a solid black, gray, or green, it doesn't look like a pair of jeans. If you really want, you may also be able to use Rit dye and color remover on it, to change the color or at least give it a solid-colored look.

Do you have any photos of the jacket? Seeing it will help!

It's pretty mjuch a solid, dark dark blue, near black, no wear and tear. I was very surprised to get it from a sibling of mine. It's almost identical to the flak jacket I have been using, a few shades darker. But mine i s all wonky, so I was hoping to use this to make a newer, better fitting one.

It'll be worn backwards for obvious reasons, and I'm gonna use part of a sleeve to cover up the zipper. BUt otherwise, I think this meets those requirements?

Super excited to be here
Looking at starting my first kit
Any help is appreciated!!!!

Thel Ihveen

• Stirring the concept pot.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2018, 11:56 PM »
It looks like a pretty good start! It's certainly plain enough to work, but I'd say double check with your local ruus'alor - they'll be able to give you a definite answer, since texture is hard to photograph. I can't quite tell how denim-y it is with the indoor lighting, but I can see it passing with the right weathering and modification.

Pretty lucky to get it from a sibling, though! Free is the best price for sure. :)

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2018, 05:55 PM »
I'm with Thel - picture may be graining a little so its hard to tell exactly how much of the 'faded denim' effect it has. That's the stuff which is a real no go. If it's dark enough to not have that then it's good as a vest material as it is not elastic and will weather nicely.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!