Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Fiain Ros Wren-style Armor WiP

• 11 Replies
Fiain Ros Wren-style Armor WiP
« on: Dec 16, 2017, 10:45 PM »
Hello!

I am working on my first build. As a female build, I'm posting my WiP here, although if I should move it please let me know.

This is a Wren-style custom Mando. My Clan WiP has the soft parts shown.

I'm working with sintra. I've already cut the armor. Shown are the back plates, shoulders, collar piece, diamond, chest, abdominal, hips, and knees. (12/10/17)

Obviously, I need to recut the diamond, but I haven't gotten to that yet.

Over the course of the week, I've formed all the pieces. Today I tried to attach the pieces temporarily to my flak vest and flight suit, but none would stay. So, the floor had to do for my photo. (12/16/17)

What I learned from this effort is that some of the pieces need a little more bending and others need to be unbent a little. I will try the attachment again after making the adjustments, and photograph them.

I also learned that my back pieces do not cover 2/3 of my back. That was a little hard to measure. I will either cut another piece of sintra or maybe do a cape. When I said "cape" my husband perked up and thought that sounded cool, so I'm leaning towards cape.

This brings me to my next steps: painting. I've read various posts on the internet about how to paint sintra, but they aren't very helpful. Does anybody have a good post they can direct me to? How do you here paint sintra?

Myra Tiin

• Outer Space Vandal
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago Mobile Engineers Brigade Member
Re: Fiain Ros Wren-style Armor WiP
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2017, 08:02 AM »
Hi !
Awesome, Rebels custom kits for the win ! Your helmet looks really good :)

Heat forming the chest plates sure is tricky. Mine were really thick (5mm sintra) and it took me some time to achieve the right shape.
Yours look really angular on the pics. Maybe you could try the dart method to have more a rounded shape ?

Desert ops Brigades - WIP  - Pixel Mandos
 QMU #017 - KOVA #002 - EMTS #118

Zarya Arthos

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2017, 03:29 PM »
Here's a walk through on some of the basics of painting:

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=23514.msg320322#msg320322

It just takes some practice. Make sure you are using all of the same brand of paint. If you mess up, you can always sand it down and start again.

Looking for mirrored visors? Click Here!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2017, 08:45 PM »
Thanks for the feedback! Hopefully some re-working of the chest plate will help and I don't have to go the darting route. I had over bent the top and bottom. I'm already struggling with other aspects of the sintra armor so adding dart/bondo/make look good steps terrify me.

Thanks for the painting post. I'm not concerned about painting my helmet at all, and the post isn't using the same type of materials as I have for my helmet nor my armor.  I tried practicing on the sintra. One method I tried included sanding, which ruined the look of the armor and priming did not look good, so I am also concerned about sanding paint off the sintra armor to start over. I'm still looking for tips on painting armor, especially sintra.

Another issue I'm having is with attaching my armor temporarily to my vest just to photograph for more feedback. My final attachment plan is dual-lock industrial velcro, with the velcro sewn on the flak vest and glued with E6000 to the armor (sintra). The hips and knees (which are pictured upside-down in every photo I've taken I now see) will be using elastic that matches my flight suit. (Backed with nylon strapping and glued with E6000 to the knee armor.)

First, I tried just using double-sided tape, which worked for someone else's photos, but it didn't work for me. So then, after reforming some of the pieces for a better fit, I tried double-sided tape on the armor to the velcro and pinning the velcro to the flak vest. That still didn't hold. The pins failed, I think, although maybe the velcro did. I'm not sure what happened.

I really want to get photos up here to show the armor on before I proceed further. Any tips on how to do temporary attachment of armor that holds long enough to get a couple photos taken?

I'm planning on going to an armor build party this Saturday, so we'll see if someone there can help a bit. But any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2017, 09:33 AM »
I ended up taping the plates together on the inside with the required spacing, then having a couple of strips which went all the way round the back and just had somebody stick all of them together at the back. With the plates taped into place it was easy to see where things were lifting.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2017, 09:21 PM »
I finally found a thread on this forum about painting sintra! I don't know why it has taken multiple searches over the course of a month, but for reference, it's here:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=111271.0

Sounds like sticking to the same brand paint, and prep using a light sanding with a high grit sandpaper (but not steel wool 0000 because that didn't do anything on my test) is the take-away message. I'm torn between using Rustoleum which has the colors I like or going to the Art Primo store suggested that happens to be located across the lake from me. I've already started priming my helmet, but now I'm considering if I want to use the same paints on both, I may be stuck with Rustoleum. Possibly a trip to the store to ask how they mix. I had considered airbrushing, but it seems like  a lot of time to airbrush all the armor. And I've never airbrushed anything before.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2017, 10:21 PM »
For what it's worth, I use Rustoleum for my kit, and have not had a single problem with it. I love the stuff.   :)

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

grantaire

• Steve Buscemi rhymes with Mom's Spaghetti
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2017, 08:37 PM »
I find that Rustoleom is more affordable and has a lot of options for color. You don't necessarily need to use art quality paint for Mandalorian armor, but regardless I'm sure it'll look great once you get started.

« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2018, 12:29 AM »
Edit: On Saturday, I went to a local armor building party where I got a lot of help. Without the help I got there, I would be stuck with my armor. That said:

In reference to my armor - I had to remake the two collar pieces. And the rest of it took some reshaping, but it's looking much better. When I finish redoing the pieces, I will post a new photo of all of it -- hopefully on me instead of on the floor. It may be that I just need to use lots and lots of tape.

It was also suggested to me that I make another dart in my flak vest because it keeps shifting, which means every time we checked my armor, it was in a different spot.

I'm pretty sure I'm just going to go with Rustoleum paint on both armor and helmet. I've found the colors I like. Unfortunately, one color I like best is available only across the border in Canada and not here in the states. Is the 3 hour drive worth it? Also, that border has apparently been a problem for crossing in the past 4 months. Hmmm. I'm not to the painting stage on either the helmet or the armor so I may have some time to decide - but not much if I want to make my build date goal.

My helmet is coming along. I'm in the prime and sand rounds until ready stage for an abs print. I'll post a photo update in that thread once I get the priming/sanding rounds stage complete.

« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2018, 09:06 PM by fiainros » Logged

grantaire

• Steve Buscemi rhymes with Mom's Spaghetti
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2018, 01:54 PM »
The collar pieces are so tricky. I've been working on a recruit on Wren style plates and we've had to remake the collar several times as well. Hopefully it's much better this next time!

Which color do you need?

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2018, 08:37 PM »
You could always drop by the British Columbia Stronghold section, introduce yourself, and see if anyone would be willing to send you the rustoleum you need.  :)

« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2018, 05:13 PM by Havelock » Logged
"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2018, 04:56 PM »
Since last post, I found I still have 2 cans that don't seem too much used of the color of Rustoleum I want (a metallic purple) from when we went to Canada and got it awhile back! Yes, it's only available in Canada. Three different people have tried ever-so-helpfully for me to find it in the States in some way, and it is not available, even through internet purchase here. Shipping spray paints is pretty specific due to the laws on shipping chemicals. Not sure that international shipping is particularly feasible and I'd hate to ask that of anybody. Driving up will be easiest if I need more. If you happen to be an R2-D2 builder, you know which color I am talking about.

All that said, I've finished my helmet prime and sand rounds. Visit my helmet WiP to see! Now onto visor stuff, then paint, then pads. I'm going to another armor party on Saturday to do most of that work.

I've started working on my gauntlets, which haven't yet been shown, but I 3D printed them in ABS awhile back using the Stormprops pattern that so many Mercs have. Currently, I'm sanding them. I don't plan on being as nitpicky with the sanding and priming and sanding as I was with the bucket since they aren't as focal as the bucket. After that it's paint, lights, a little foam for comfort, and good-to-go.

The armor itself is kind of stalled because I need a little help with forming my back plates, so I'll do that at one of the next 2 armor build parties I attend. Oddly enough recent progress has been that I finished my paint scheme design. (No, I didn't start at concept art, I don't always work that way.)

I'm at that point where I've gotten so much done, but yet there's so much more to do. So close but yet so far. I'm still shooting for Emerald City Comic-Con to be OM. If I miss that goal, my back-up goal is May the Fourth.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!